Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy

not a good enough reason, there have been plenty of posts about the DRM free version coming in about a week.

what happened to feeling a lot more confident after a personal reply by the devs ?

I think part of the issue is you said it will be distributed via humble bundle, people look there and then see that grim dawn is only listed as steam and thus get confused.
The system is a little odd
Buy direct from devs: humble has a DRM-free version
Buy from humble: humble lacks a DRM-free version, despite having it for others.

They will definitely be fine with giving out keys.
https://www/gog.com/reclaim
Even before this, I contacted a dev and he was able to get gog to generate a key. There was a post by staff somewhere on the site saying that devs can do that freely, unfortuantely I don’t know which thread the post was on.

I just tried starting Grim Dawn without Steam running and it wouldn’t run without the Steam service. So I guess you could say that Steam is functioning as a DRM platform here, not only as a downloader.
There are some games, especialls indie games, which can really be run completely without Steam.

The rest I don’t understand myself, I guess it’s a lot of work for a small developer to get an autoupdate system running, that’s why most of them use Steam nowadays, because it does it for them and that’s probably a huge relief.

Why you would think that you had a claim to a GOG version just by backing a DRM-free version is beyond me, too.

Hats off for trying to find a solution that fits everyone though.

How could a dev be unsure about gog after 1 year of negotiations? AFTER release and you still don’t know? You had YEARS to ask! Hell, as someone who has received keys from previous kickstarters (POE) from gog, I know it’d work fine. This just screams complete incompetence. Once again, promises of DRM free during kickstarter, with poor follow through. DRM free gets shafted again.

Yeah, i think so too. Its a special reward for people that spend some more money then others to support Crate. I only bought the steam edition and i am pretty fine that people have tose special rewards. Making those DLC’s now would be wrong. Not at last because of the price - make it too expensive, people would rage -make it too cheap, some people would definetely cry.
So just no to this idea.

are you using cloud saves ?

For me that worked. Just closed Steam, started GD from the executable, runs like always.

I just want decent competition to Steam, and GOG is in a position of growth to achieve this. :slight_smile: Whatever arguments have been happening in this thread, thanks again devs for bringing the game to GOG.

Not that people automatically have a claim, but many Kickstarters have allowed people to choose their preferred platform. Since the DRM-free release was flubbed, I thought it was fair to ask if that was a possibility to make things right with backers, I never said it was promised to anyone.

I’ve been pretty shocked how unaware of GOG’s features Crate appears to be since they’ve been in talks with them for awhile. I just want the DRM-free build out so I can move on:undecided:

I really want to keep this thread open to posts so unless you have a question regarding the distribution of backer rewards or DRM-free copies, there is no reason to be posting here.

Not interested in maintaining the back and forth of subjective opinions. Arguing is going to be purged.

Maybe because he spent the past 6 years of his freaking life working ungodly hours to bring this game to us in the first place. If I were him I’d permaban you and tell you to go fuck yourself, but he can’t do that because this company is his life and that sort of post would be bad for sales. Instead, he’ll be nice and politely say that they’re working on it. Next time you want something be nicer about it though, I’m surprised that Art Bruno even dignified your trolling with a response… And keep in mind that he’s working on a Saturday afternoon because he wants to, not because he has to.

This thread has gotten really weird, really fast. It sure seems reasonable to me that, if you want to play a game in a different manner than it was originally released, you should be willing to wait for a week, or a month, or a year, or whatever it takes, for the devs to make the game work for your desired format.

Medierra never said that there would be a drm-free version on day one of the official release, he just said that there would be one. Since then he has clarified that they’re working on it and it will be out soon.

I have asked repeatedly how the DRM-free build will be updated, I have heard talk of an auto-patcher, but nothing concrete from a developer. Is there going to be that or manual uploads for it?

I posted that purely for the fact that he was being slightly rude and obnoxious with the “there got that” bit, which was uncalled for, he could have worded his reply a bit differently, that’s all. My original comment was regarding the fact that Humble Bundle now ONLY lists the Steam version, no mention at all about the DRM free version, I will wait for the GOG release.

Could we get confirmation that we will get a GOG key for our kickstarter drm version instead of the greatly lacking and inferior humble one? That seems to be the main concern in this thread.

With Grim Dawn release coming tomorrow, naturally there are questions about backer rewards and DRM-free copies. It occurred to me that I posted about this on KS but there are also website backers who will want this information. So, sorry for the delay, here’s what to expect:

Virtual Rewards - The items themselves are actually finished but we need to set up a way to distribute them both on and off Steam. We know how it’s going to work on Steam and just need to configure it. How we will get the actual codes to people is a little more complicated. That will have to happen through Humble Store. They actually have a nice system to set up distribution for backer rewards… except we were one of their original customers and first Kickstarters, so our stuff was not originally set up using that system. It’s set up in a more convoluted manner and we’re just going to have to work with them to make sure everything goes out to the right backer tiers. It’s not a real issue, it’s just something that I don’t have time to set up yet. I’ll be handling all this logistical stuff after release. I’m thinking we’ll be able to get this set up within two weeks though, maybe less depending on how things go.

DRM-Free copy - Part of this is setting up distribution, which requires a little work but should be much less complicated than the virtual goods since we’re just sending out one thing to all backers. We do however want to make sure we wrap up any significant hotfixes so we don’t package up a DRM-free build that immediate needs to be updated… which would be a problem since there is no service, like Steam, that you can just connect to for automatic updates. In the future we’ll probably just have to distribute updates as full builds or set up some sort of patcher. I think we can have this out by the end of next week (March 4th), if not sooner.

On a related note, we are also planning a GoG release. We should have a version of GD out on the GoG store sometime in March.

Physical Goods - I have not sent out surveys yet for backer addresses. I will wait to do this until we are ready to ship the goods to make sure we have the most up to date information. So, don’t worry about address until you receive the survey.

Sandcaster got samples from the print shop this week for the map and poster. He says the map looks awesome but wants to up-res the poster, so it’s a little higher quality. When that’s done, it will be set to print and then we’ll package them up to ship.

The boxed version is something we still need to figure out. We haven’t decided yet who we will use to print the boxes and discs. It’s probably good to have some lag after release anyway so the build can become more finalized before we master it to disc. I’ll post another update when we get closer to shipping those and, of course, will survey addresses again when they’re ready to mail.

That’s all for now!

I would prefer no patches, but full builds (I know it is a bigger package but still the best option for me).

Really medeirra, you shouldn’t let this get to you. A lot of us KS backers are just happy with what we got, heck I’d say a fair bit more than just a bit happy. I don’t know about everybody else, but if I recall correctly, I backed a one-act game, hoping to get some playable experience at some time. You can never get everybody happy, and you shouldn’t. Just set your own course and stick with it.

I personally don’t think of STEAM as the devil. In my opinion STEAM has actually provided a great alternative to intrusive DRM, of which I do think as the devil, but I’d like to get a non-STEAM release regardless, just to be able to get full control of where/how I install the game, and be able to play it without logging in or even booting up some offline third-party service. I think this is also what most KS backers want. It’s just that some are afraid that they’ll end up with some kind of source code without proper support that (due to version differentiation) excludes them from the larger GD community. After all there is no denying that, especially from release onwards, most GD players will be on STEAM. Take away those doubts, or ignore them for now to prove them wrong later, and you should be grand.

Finally, I think some of the fanaticism on GD being entirely DRM free, stems from the timing of the KS campaign. You might have only done it because Double Fine and inExile were, but it was at a time when DRM was going in a pretty bad direction. It seems to be going in a slightly better one now, but the gaming industry is still plagued by big corporate milkfarms: DLC’s to use more keys than “QWERTY” on your keyboard, etc. Inadvertedly GD has become somewhat of a paragon of honest game development, so the initial promise of it being completely “DRM-free” has become much more important.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I think that this crowd that isn’t trusting the devs is right. I mean, it’s not like they gave us an awesome game that ridiculously inexpensive to buy considering what you get for it.

I WANT MORE.

A LOT MORE.

In fact, I want my map to put on my wall that is right behind my computer monitor, so that in case I can just consult THAT map instead of the in-game map when I need to know where I am. I mean, this is a big deal. I will not rest until the devs, at least a quorum of them (6), personally calls me, texts me, emails, fax, carrier pigeon, or perhaps uses one of those cool setups with 2 styrofoam cups and a a rope between them to tell me that my map has already been put in the mail.

THAT IS HOW SERIOUSLY I TAKE THIS MAP. I PAID MY $75 AND I WANT MY MAP.

Oh, and that cool George Washington wig, I want that, too.

Could just release a drm free version through humble bundle directly to buyers as I have a couple games through humble bundle that I never used the keys for steam and just downloaded the game directly.

I would end up buying an extra copy through gog later on anyways as I always keep multiple accounts with games on them… Might buy extras depending on if you go through other places than just steam/gog/humblebundle…

Learned my lesson when I lost a steam account (so many games lost…) do to my friends being jerks so now I never leave steam logged in if a friend or family member is coming over.

The game is a Steam exclusivity: I’m still waiting for my drm-free version (I don’t care if it’s on Crate store, GOG, or HumbleBundle or other, if it does not compel to a 3rd party program).
The game is so released and I can’t play (where can I directly download my game??).
In fact, nothing has changed, it’s like the game is still in Early Acces, I don’t see any difference for me.
The game was promised drm-free at release, and the promise was not kept. So it is understendable that some consumers are not very joyfull.
Crate made promises for the money, they had it. A lesson for me.