Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy

Knowing how some of the community of backers is reacting, if I was part of crate, I would have said nothing about the release until everything was settled…

If that took a month, a week, a day more, it would have kept a lot of people quiet.

I feel sorry for Crate. All you backers are doing is adding extra stress on them… this is not a company like blizzard, or Activision. It is tiny. Give them some space.

They have explained themselves. Let them work now, and stop harassing them about how it is a few days later than released.

My 2 cents of honest opinion needing to be said.

Bingo… Except for the quiet part. I like that medierra (and Crate) isn’t afraid to get down and dirty with the community on the forums and to meet them head on if need be.

Says alot to me about his character.

As for the drm-free crowd… Eh. Alot of them seem a bit stuck up, frankly, and kinda ruins my view of that crowd.

Keep doing what ya do Crate. Those of us who have been active here know what’s up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Having a gog release is not the same as giving gog keys to backers. I don’t quite get how this wasn’t planned ahead of time. I don’t mind waiting…it’d just be nice to know.

Easy, there were a ton of other pressing things to do as well. It’s also not like they did not talk to GOG, it just takes an unreasonable amount of time to get an agreement it seems

This is pretty much the point of a why DRM-free backers got upset. A full release implies a, well, full release. Not a single platform. If it had been communicated sooner, I think it would have diffused things much better than seeing it three days before the launch, and the further mention of the GOG setup muddied things even more.

Can someone remind me what the rewards are for each tier?
I cannot seem to find it listed out anywhere.
I was one of the pre-Kickstarter Legendary backers, so really that is the only tier I need to know.

The official release of a game does have its expectations. That includes proper availability options, especially those that were promised. The extra items and such. It may have been a better idea to simply delay the release until all of these things were ready, as well as a few hotfixes. Among other things, GOG seems to be a recent development and an unnecessary one - releasing a plain DRM-free installer shouldn’t be that much of a problem.

If someone was planning to start playing their DRM-free copy on release or using their virtual items, which would make sense, they’re now looking at waiting for it to come out at some undefined point in the future. The whole point of a release is to have a solid date when everything is resolved and finalized and people can start playing without having to worry about things.

Otherwise, say “DRM-free copy may be available sometime in the future after the release”. Just like some games say they may have Mac support sometime in the future. That’s how the high resolution map was handled (“delivered after final release”), and it looks like that’s also how everything else should have been handled.

It’s not the end of the world but this is on Crate.

I don’t know what Blizzard’s fanbase would do if a WoW expansion came out with delayed pre-order bonuses…

For me personally, I thought we would get a standalone installer, like PoE for example. I don’t care about DRM. I paid for it.

I’m a bit disappointed that it looks to be built around Steam.

Anyway, I’ve never used GoG, Humble, whatever. But again for me personally, I’d love a simple exe.

Yep i think you hit the nail on the head.

The game was only officially released on Thursday. If they get the promised DRM free release within the first week the game is out i think all will be forgiven. SmartsAJ already said “DRM-Free copy…I think we can have this out by the end of next week (March 4th), if not sooner.” So i take them on their word here. On the sale page http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php they clearly state “Get the finished game upon release; on Steam or from Humble Store DRM free.”

crate has treated the drm free crowd with disdain from the get go. huge on promises and never delivered. i think maiderrea was once like us but smellt money from steam early access. its just the same unethical shit behavior i am used to from the likes of electronic arts. at least they are upfront with their bullshit and everyone knows what he’s getting himself into when dealing with their ilk… the indy crowd is the same only in stealth mode. short of some admirable exceptions it all the same bullshit over and over… promises are broken left and right and crate is lying through their teeth even now when it’s crystal clear… yes drm free is and was an after thought… it’s not hard to NOT put drm in your game and just put a standalone installer on the disk… unless that was an afterthought. host patches on your site or even off site… didn’t plan for that? i guess that was an after thought? i’m even giving you the benefit of the doubt by not right out accusing you of intentionally treating us like idiots. if you so much hate the money i gave you then GIVE IT BACK.

2 1/2 years late and you can’t even manage to get a drm free version out for us on release. this is so sad… even sadder are all the apologist idiots that fall in line right behind you like lemmings that follow their brethren down a cliff… unaware of their impending doom.

well it was all fun and poetic bullshit now give me my drm free copy of the damn game i paid €160 for to get you lazy ass bastards a head start in my naivete or gimme back my damn money.

fuck… if i thought you couldn’t make the situation any worse you manage to do just that…

just a reminder. IT IS STILL IN YOUR FAQ:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222192&postcount=2

FAQ:

Q Why am I required to use Steam?
A Distribution through Steam proved to be the easiest way to put out patches while Crate is still actively developing the game and fixing issues.

Q When will the DRM free version become available?
A On release.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222192&postcount=2
So, if the Crate FAQ is true, the game is not released, “Crate is still actively developing the game and fixing issues” as distribution is still Steam-only.
The second answer would have no meaning if the Steam-only distribution was to continue at release.
That’s I say: The game is in fact still in an Early Access, nothing has changed, just the communication of release which was false.

In 6 years (not 6 months…) Crate did nothing for the promised drm-free release, only Steam distribution was set. Then they say it’s the GOG fault…

It will most likely be a manual download.

That FAQ was written by a moderator to help users during Early Access. That entire section of the forum is outdated.

So by your reasoning we should not have posting anything at all? Seems like trying to explain the situation is worse than silence.

The Legendary tier is equivalent to the Patron Edition:

Digital download of Grim Dawn original music
Swashbuckler’s coat (virtual item)
Enchanted Burrwitch Brew (virtual item)
George Washington style powdered wig (virtual item)
Your name in the credits! (see above)
“Crate Story” downloadable PDF
Early Backer Medal (virtual item)

Sweet! i don’t remember ever seeing this item. Glad i got the loyalist edition :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification Zantai.

I don’t know about that FAQ (can’t access that page), but your Buy Now page also lists the DRM-free version being available on release.

After reading through this entire thread, I’m starting to think that drm-free crowd is more annoying than drm is. You guys need to be really careful, the NSA is probably reading EVERY SINGLE WORD THAT YOU TYPE.

Hahhahahahaha

No seriously. They are. Personally I just say hey “bros” whatever gets yer rocks off. Enjoy, I’ll try to keep my communications extra spicy for ya!

:wink:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I honestly wanted to play with my wig, the coat which I guess is only first levels as there are no cosmetics options, and the light pet. I’m also a supporter of no DRM either Humble or GoG r but Gog is no drm with a nice service which is why I guess people prefers GoG, however I gave up and started playing on Steam because I have the feeling the drm version will come with matchmaking problems online, not at the last patch etc. Maybe I’m wrong, I hope I’m but the message is clear, they care about Steam first, no DRM last. Actually I realized they had a enhanced no drm version after I bought a coupole of copies on steam, go figure.

Wow… just… wow.
Did they not end up giving one of your Te5|!c@\5 back mate?!
I mean seriously, I’m as mad as the next person; but I think I saw something about broiling their firstborn in there somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s a little early for pitchforks yet; if it’s a month late and they fail to keep the game sync’d version wise it’d be a different story.
It’s too late for most avenues to get your money back anyways, just be thankful it doesn’t seem to have gone the way of the kickstarter “Mr.Cardgame”.
(summary- the Mr.Cardgame was funded, was successful in creation, the boardgames never shipped due to ‘shipping cost’; currently are still selling on amazon as a big F.U.)

you mean like 2 1/2 years too early? as a backer i was promised a full drm free release 2 1/2 years ago… and now that is officially released there is still no drm free version and it also wasn’t an afterthought… because they couldn’t think of that for the 2 1/2 they had NOT released the game before doing so. no… they start to think about it AFTER release. even their ea faq states a same day release… and they keep claiming its not an afterthought. that’s what i would call classic PATHOLOGICAL LYING.

the only recourse we as ks backers got is bad mouthing them… unless you want to go full class action lawsuit… good luck with that. we have no other way to defend ourselves. we just gave them money on a promise. that’s basically it. so telling them to stop the bullshit isn’t exactly far fetched.