Barn won't slaughter cows

Ditto. Happens to me too.

same issue here, clearly a bug. Cattle in general are broken for me, click one? I get birch tree placement card, bear card,etc.

Same issue. They’ve stopped producing milk too.
Moved to a new barn and that wouldn’t slaughter either.

This is a big issue. Is this something that is being worked on?

same for me

Hello All,

I faced the same issue, but with me is a transit problem.
If you have fences all around the barn, you cannot tranfer interbetwen barns and cows somehow get out but will not go back in.

This stops Milk, Slaughter and even grow.

I’ve come across this problem too, but I’ve figured out the cause of the problem. This situation occurs when a cow gets spooked and runs out of the barn. This cow, which then runs around the village, then gets stuck in some gate and stays there. The barn then does not work. It is necessary to go through the town and inspect all the gates, either on the roads or in the fields, and after finding the cow, this gate must be demolished. The cow will then walk away towards its barn. At this point the barn will start working.

(sorry for my english.)

I don’t think this is a bug really. I broke my head for many hours straight trying to find the root of evil, rebuilding, relocating the barns and moving the gates and fences. I guess in this case the answer is as simple as it gets. Apparently if you got fewer food storages in your city than needed for the food production ratio at any given time, they cap food production, thus the meat you request from the barns, canNOT be stored at all! This makes absolute sense and has to do with proper management and balancing your food production. You actually ask the barntender to slaughter the cows, cause the pop starves to death and he literally responds: da meat has nowhere to go, so fck off…For me, when I built an extra 5 warehouses and root cellars accross my city…BOOM…got the cows slaughtered and the food stockpiles skyrocket from 5 months to 14 in da blink of the eye. This fix worked for me like a charm in both of my cities.

1 Like

This is for me also a major issue, I can’t even continue playing properly, because half of the food supply is blocked by this. We don’t get meat from the slaughter and they stop giving milk, so the cheese production comes to a halt.

And the hunters? Don’t count on them, they don’t find anything to hunt for a while, so why is the deer jumping in front of their lodge?

The fisher? It fishes some 200 fish, but everything stacks on the shore. Their is already a mountain of spoiled fish over their.

Only the farms are left, it is good that the bread production can hold out. But my villagers complain about the peas, that is now their major food source.

Aghh same issue, tried multiple barns to no avail. Still no solution; cannot get this feature to work and end up with ‘sickly herds’ and more barns… It seems all my herders are hardcore vegetarians and outright refuse to process cows into meet… also then the cheese stops too so maybe they go vegan after that…

1 Like

I confirm I have the same issue. Hopefully, they’ll patch it soon enough as it makes the game highly difficult by spending all the gold on imports.

I also have an issue with two barns. I relocated one, but the cows revert to the original fenced in pasture no matter what I do, the other cows that made the move are free roaming now and will not return to the barn, herders cannot milk, neither barn will slaughter and even setting the limit on the herd has no impact. If I try to keep them inside to slaughter or milk, they begin to die for there are too many. Even with plenty of grain (1000) in the open storage (and the windmill and bakery off) the barn will not stock a proper amount of grain. I cannot make cheese. buying and placing new cows in the barn does not fix the problem. So, cannot fence in the cows and cannot leave them free to graze. More instructions are necessary if no fences should be used.

if you have fenced pastures, remove the fence.

I removed the door from the enclosed area I have made with the fences, cows were stuck inside and immediately went back to the barn once the door was removed!

About the herd numbers as I can see people doesn’t get it very clear. You can handle 16 cows, you can check and set that with the “Herd size” button in the barn, keep in mind, your barn only can support 13, but at 13 you have 3 cows birth rate. So, if you set your herd size to 16, and set the Slaughter to 3, with a herd of 13, you will have 3 cows of meat (1500) per year, as 3 cows are born from 13, and 3 cows are slaughtered each year.

PS/PD: I still don’t know at this point where the 3 newborns go when you are at 13/13 and you are not slaughtering??

Well…

Good luck mayors!

I took out all fences and that fixed it. I moved one barn back to its original location. I still have issues with the herd size and slaughter but it’s better.

I just confirmed this. My barns stopped butchering and trying to figure out why, I came across this thread and then what BruteForseKill said. I checked my storage and they were all full. Plopped down a bunch more storage and cellars and the barns immediately started to slaughter the cows.

This was the solution for me at this time.

1 Like

Yes! It works! I built two cellars next to the barn and marked only meat, hides and tallow could be stored there. Slaughter began immediately. It is late sometimes, but the method actually works.

This was my answer as well. Built a few more warehouses and smokers and it fixed the “non butchering” issue. It ended up just being storage management. Build some storehouses/warehouses and uncheck all the small boxes except for meat. I left all boxes checked for things created by the barns. Meat, smoked meat, tallow, hides, milk and cheese. Everything else unchecked. Maxed my herd size to 16 and full steam ahead.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.