Beronath, Reforged, Sword of Shame

Hey guys, this is a post to show how rediculous Mythical Beronath, Reforged is, especially for retalitation builds.

As we all know, Mythical Beronath, Reforged now has a -16% all retal damage penalty. Few people pay attention to this Item. However, Z said that some issue is going to be fixed in v1.1.9.7. The issue is, retalitation damage from conversion can now benefit from Cunning/Spirit, depending on its type.

That topic is: Retaliation Build Feedback - #73 by Zantai

So I decided to have a test on how Beronath, Reforged performs in v1.1.9.6 and the result is, quite funny.

I did two Ravager of Mind runs with a ele2phys retal RF Warlord (GT link:Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator). It’s just a traditional ele2phys retal builds so I can’t say I’m abusing “the issue”. One of them is with Beronath buff OFF and the other is with Beronath buff ON. Here is my result:

Buff OFF, begin at 0:33 and end at 2:47, 2:14 is consumed.

Buff ON, begin at 0:22 and end at 2:41, 2:19 is consumed.

Both of them are slower than expected, as a retalitation build, and the one with Beronath ON is even the worse one. Lmao.
Videos here: GD v1.1.9.6 Beronath, Sword of shame_哔哩哔哩_bilibili

This is because, physical retalitation damage converted from other types, is reduced by armor, after v1.1.9.2.

Let alone that, to the best of my knowledge, few non-retal physical builds are using this sword.

According to my calculation, if “the issue” is fixed in v1.1.9.7 or in the next PTR, a -3% to -5% all retalitation damage penalty is going to keep the sheet phyical retal the same as in v1.1.9.6. Considering how rediculous it is now, I think it’s time to fully remove the penalty.

Any idea on Beronath, Reforged is appreciated.

3 Likes

CR is like 6:45-7:00ish.
Two images to show you how slow it is:

Video: GD v1.1.9.6 Beronath Dawnguard Retal WL CR 7:12

We both know this isn’t how zantai approaches patches but I do think totally removing the retal penalty on beronath is a good starting point for the next test patch, better start strong then nerf to balance (like 1.1.9.6 ranged) rather than start weak and maybe end up having a broken beronath on release (just like 1.1.9.2 phys).

4 Likes

Beronath ele2phys DE DK has been tested as well.
CR is like 6:45-7:00ish.
I had a bad Boss combo at wave 170 (2 Zantarin) so it’s a little slower, in my video.
GT link: Death Knight, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
Video: GD v1.1.9.6 Beronath Dawnguard Retal DE DK CR 7:25_哔哩哔哩bilibili

It’s also of high sheet physical retalitation but performs too slow, compared to non-conversion retal DE or vitality2phys retal DE.

1 Like

i’m trusting it will get removed/dialed back when cunning boosting converted retal gets removed

beronath hasn’t been used in ages, and the main reason for its dmg was armour bypass combined with cunning scaling for phys retal
since when both those are no longer factors for dmg boosting phys retal into the absurd, seems like it’s normal to dial back a dmg reduct that’s no longer reeling in that previously intended dmg boost
*unless for whatever reason Z just doesn’t want that sword to be used on retal :grin:

2 Likes

But I haven’t found some non-retal build using it, either. lol

dual-wield phys EoR,

i also used it on physical Oblivion before armour bypass fix :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

but yes, very very niche/limited use in Meta and non-meme endgame i think

This was the last build I know of that used it, and it fell apart when Beronath was nerfed… And as y838849864 notes aboveI haven’t seen any builds using it posted.

warborn EoR

don’t think i recall other builds using it,
also have no idea if banana or lee found a stronger version “not using beronath” for dual wield phys eor oppressor/warlord

some retal builds switched to sandspitter initially because it didn’t have the -tdm retal penalty at first, but got it later ofc
then armour bypass changed so converted phys retal didn’t ahve the same value as before, so even less reason to use sandspitter/beronath when all that converted retal just got checked against armour anyway

but since it was still boosted by cunning if you could get enough it still resulted in a lot of retal
then when/if that cunning boost goes away, it just means, (unless Zantai specifically don’t want easy/full elemental conversion on physical retals), there doesn’t seem to be a reason to keep the real penalty anymore, when there is nothing left to boost that converted retal into higher than normal dmg,
but back then “it made sense”, because phys retal OP

2 Likes

If it’s restricted to DW, yes.
But now Warborn 3 with Gutsmasher performs better than DW overall.

Maybe Mythical Scion of Crimson Wakes? I dk. It’s of better % weapon damage and incredible life leech now but I haven’t conducted a test yet.

High sheet but low performance, as shown in my videos. :joy:

1 Like

What’s funny is that chaos. Yes chaos retal DE without abusing the bug (no spirit dump apart from item reqs) has better damage than this lmao.

Can I have a look at it, please? :grin:

Wait at your other thread. I’m digging if I still have the vid. It’s still veeery bad but at least better than beronath lmao.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.