Black Scorch Covenant / Voidsoul chaos FoI

Hey everyone,

I think there is an overlap in 2 sets covering the same role for an ability, one being worse at it.
I’m talking about the black flame/scorch covenant and the voidsoul set. If we look at inquisitor both sets support chaos FoI, voidsoul doing a way better job at it in my opinion.
I feel like both sets have a very similar channeled playstyle for inquisitor, but the black scorch covenant set is just worse at it.

I’d suggest changing the supported ability on one of the sets, probably black scorch covenant. Perhaps a chaos/vit RoH or RoK could be a nice addition, given that their support for different damage types is extremely small. That would give the black scorch covenant a seal/sigil oriented playstyle, which we only have a very small number of (except if you go AAR, which could use with some chaos buffs on its own compared to its cousins, but thats not exactly the issue here).

Perhaps even lower the cooldown of RoH/RoK to have very little downtime, due to FoI not being supported anymore. Perhaps even buff or change the modifiers for chaos FoI on black scorch. What are everyones thought on this?

1 Like

Let’s not forget that probably the best chaos FoI build is with 2H gun - Solael Devour, which means you can’t take either one of these sets. So even more items that supports chaos version. Also FoI is more about DoT’s and chaos don’t have any, so you have to try build chaos /vitality hybrid and spread yourself too thin because only common devotion between them is Dying God. Vitality RR is located in the opposite corner. And best chaos devotion it’s Abomination and you can’t use it if you go Rattosh.

Anyway chaos version have very high DPS but agree that have too many options doing basically the same.

@Sephumbra i’m counting that you compared Black Flame vs Voidsoul set with Deceiver (i think its the best class for chaos FOI). For any specific reason that you see Voidsoul is superior? Perhaps you can post both of your builds and some videos crucible or SR? Tbh, I tried both set up, and as my play result, Black Flame is way more superior. The damage of FOI is quite similar, but the other support skill from BF set is Sigil of Consumption is way better than Doombolt, for both DPS and life steal. Even without a shield, and my pilot skill is bad, playing crucible time with BF set deceiver is much more safer and faster than voidsoul. Here is my set up: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLmpo5Z. spirit dump to 1k4 makes life so much easier with higher mana regen and bonus dam. And 100% fire converted to chaos/ 50% vitality convert to chaos make Sigil and Flame Torrent DPS up to the roof. The only thing i dont like about this build is too much button to press. If you have a Voidsoul set up better, i really like to give it a try

I did use voidsoul as a paladin, black flame would be deceiver. I did not yet test a full build with the voidsoul set for a deceiver. My deceiver black flame build is not all that different to yours, for the voidsoul paladin I did something along these lines:

[https://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2p78gjN]
Currently testing out going away from abomination for more shield support and survivability.
Having way less survivability and sustained damage “problems” with that paladin than the deceiver. They are both good to use though.
In the abomination damage setup it outclasses even the damage of black flame while enabling constant uninterrupted leech, while being able to block (although somewhat poorly) and having better defensive stats in general.

That is not really the point im trying to get across though. Both sets support the exact same ability with the exact same damage type. For other sets the damage type at least differs. I’d like if the sets could be more diverse, as they are very samey as of right now if you want to build around chaos FoI. The damage type and even playstyle is almost the same, compared to the difference in other sets.

+1. Shortly ago, I claimed the same.

And I also posted the idea of changing the Black Scorch Covenant.

I do think subbing in Necros DE for chaos is a nice and suitable replacement instead of FoI, but this sadly makes characters (mainly deceivers) with this set of gear into a #deadbuild until voidsoul can be acquired. All in all I think that might also be a good solution, but I think just changing the mastery on a set is a no-go as to not annoy players.

My suggestion is just an example, so it doesn’t matter if it’s actually done.
What I really want to insist is that “the set items of the concept of Chaos FoI are duplicated” and I want them to be changed. So, I +1 to the OP.:+1:

ok then, maybe i missunderstood what you want to say. i thought you want to buff BF set because it was weaker than voidsoul- and thats what i disagree with. The FOI damage is basically the same (with the same set up with Dying God), so the difference is just “a more tanky version” vs “a big CDR version”. And i think a lot of players will be like me- prefer 200% cast speed + 29% CDR + Aeon and get permenant Dying God and near-permenant Ritual Circle, rather than a shield with 1k6 block dam and a nuke-Aegis (with a big chunk damage cannot converted to chaos). Even with a Dying God + Abomination set up, i can get almost 100% uptime with those 2 as well, unlike Voidsoul with 0% CDR Chaos proc really need those CDR.
But i like the idea of change one set to support for another type dam. Both chaos-vitality combo is really not needed.

Pretty much, although voidsouls damage isn’t the same as black scorch, it can be stacked a fair bit higher. Not only is the cast speed similar with an abomination setup, but you also have about 18k max weapon damage, 32% more weapon damage on FoI, as well as more flat chaos damage on FoI. I would hardly call the damage the same, but having said that its not like the CDR on black flame wouldn’t help. Feel like the sets are just picking flavors at this point if it boils down to these differences.

I also do not really care which one of those would get adjusted, black flame just seemed more convenient to me due to its more positional oriented gameplay anyways.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.