Check out the Ashes of Malmouth Loading Screen!

Curious, are you two men or women?

We had a conversation on this topic behind-the-scenes in the closed testing forums. I’ve pruned out anything irrelevant/spoilery from medierra’s reply on the topic, as it was fairly insightful and I kinda wish he had made it in public rather than behind the “closed doors” - so to speak.

If he has anything more to say on the matter, publicly, I’d look forward to reading it.

Edit: For the record, medierra’s assumptions need not be taken as gospel.

I think he pretty much said it all.

If someone has a problem looking at a bit of cleavage, it is their problem.
Emphasis on a bit.
Especially when it is just a drawing.

I wonder if these people saying that the breasts of that woman in the new loading screen being “too big” have actually saw a woman with big breasts near them before…

If you sincerely think that her breasts are so big as to the point of saying that her necklace is lost in her cleavage, you need your eyes checked ASAP.

Her boobs are medium size at best, and it’s not like she is hugging them with a seductive face and insinuating anything sexual at all. Unless you’re that kind of person that always assumes that every single woman showing some cleavage is trying to seduce you?

Maybe if she had a burkha, then people would be happy, I guess.

I am a male.

I also said nothing about the size of the boobs, only that they grab attention because of the lighting and wondered if that is the intention.

And Medierra and the rest of us can guess all we like as to what women think, but we cannot claim to know what women feel is or isn’t appropriate, forgetting it’s subjective anyway…

I propose that so long as Medierra and co feel her dress is appropriate for her lore, time period and theorised personality then go for it.

It is silly hyperbole to jump to conclusions of having to swap with ‘mens clothing’ (what defines men’s clothing in particular anyway?). Do the male characters have accentuated lighting (if it was intentional for the female) on the crotch bulge? :wink:

Also, it is poor form to say ‘oh but a female painted/checked it so all good’ as if ticking of the female perspective covered box for everyone.

Perhaps this is why Medierra did not discuss in public, it is a complicated and emotional discussion and no matter which way the character was presented it would cause argument :slight_smile:

In the end the game is a product trying to appeal to the audience, and ‘sexy characters’ is part of creating the appeal, regardless of the objectification that is part and parcel there in small or large part. Crate decide how much ‘appeal’ they feel is appropriate and I think Grim Dawn is very balanced in presenting male/female characters. This image just, erm, stood out…

She had a sword???

She had eyes??

Seriously. sex sells everything. This is mild. If women are going to get upset about this, they are going to be upset with 99% of advertising.

I am in NO way saying that SOME advertising isn’t beyond good taste, or that women shouldn’t get upset ever. All I’m saying is there shouldn’t be any issue over this.

Good grief, I knew people would mention feminism somewhere in this thread.

Anyway, my favourite part of her is the face. It’s moments like these when I feel a little bit of regret that Grim Dawn doesn’t have a romantic subplot. But I understand why, though, so I silently drown in marvel over the art.

Welcome to 2017. :rolleyes:

I honestly couldn’t care much less about what she’s wearing, as long as she looks like a person who could reasonably exist in the GD world given what we’ve seen of it so far - and she most definitely does. Same goes for men, women and any eldritch abominations trying to ram their claws down my throat. That she can be a fairly attractive lady without completely going against GD’s artistic style is simply a bonus for those who can appreciate it, no?

And it’s hardly like she’s caressing a lamppost while sucking on a lollipop and wearing nothing but a thong. As far as sexualised poses go, she’s not exactly up there.

Damn I can´t wait!
800 hours Playtime filled… I need the new content =)

800hrs… it’s a tutorial

Wait. No one mentioned the thigh?

Aetherial wind, blow the skirt some moree pleasee~

I love chicken thigh. It’s juicy and tastiest chicken meat yumm

The boobs are whatever, not what I expected from Crate, but not out of control. What really bothers me is the torso. No one has a torso that skinny, not even in a corset. That indent on her right side is like a shitty cover page Photoshop. Annoyingly distracting.

Yeah I said that stuff knowing it wouldn’t be loved. I am a guy and yeah I mentioned feminism.

It is just my opinion among others. All are valid, and I can really see both sides really. Women can wear whatever they like. Owning sexuality is great etc.

No, I never said they were too big, just felt (again, my opinion of how I feel) that eyes are drawn there.

I do not mean to be “a man policing what women wear”, I really made my comment after my wife was basically like “ugh, women can own their sexuality all they want, but in the context of video games, it is a little different…”

Basically video games, and the whole nerd culture does have a sexist problem in general (omg, I can’t believe this is my forum comment, I’m not really a SJW, I don’t even think I should have made that first comment and here I am now following up and I don’t even think I’m making my point because it’s a forum and I never feel like what I really mean is coming across) and that’s really it. Nothing about being sexual in general, more about the fact that this world (video games) kinda has this problem. But that’s a huge 'nother topic that plz don’t let anyone get into here.

It’s a complicated issue. Very nuanced with I don’t think any real right answer. Just giving this thought. I was also a lil drunk when I posted earlier so I was kind just railing. And I barely thought about it before I posted.

EDIT: I just read the post stating that it was done by a female artist. That does change it a bit for my thoughts because I was under a dumb assumption (remember: drunk) that it was a dude drawing decided by dudes which fed into my initial feel about what it sort of signified.

EDIT EDIT: I made this post to clarify where I tried to come from. Yes, I already know all the sides of the different arguments for why the costume is good or bad. I see women dressed in every which way and I’ve been to four weddings this summer, and they all make their own choices. I was just wrong when I assumed (made an ass out of me and me) that this was a man’s choice. And yes I understand the irony that I say this all as a man.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I feel like I am in a hole and just keep digging.

Keep editing and see where that hole winds up. :smiley:

Malmouth I hope. I’m super hyped.

I agree but I don’t look at it as a sexism problem I view it as a weird and creepy fetish that annoy many people including myself.
Look at skyrim nexus for example, there are many perverted nude mods out there, it grossed me out and I had to turn on the age filter.
When someone pointed that out that it was weird people was like “Hoho you’re a p***sy, real men love boobs”.
I was like “Whatttttt”
I mean, can’t they differentiate real female body and fake ugly 3D body ?

What de heck. :eek:

Just awful.
First it was the fluffy menu screen, now this.
What has happened to you, guys?

Pizza face teenage wankers will grab a copy just for the tits, though.

didn’t expect people to be so displeased by the loading screen…

here’s my take on it:

This game is inspired by Victorian-era European themes. corsets were extremely popular with wealthy, upper-class females. So far in the game we’ve only explored impromptu settlements that popped up after the Grim Dawn and other small towns like Homestead. It seems obvious that once we reach the first actual city, we’ll start to see Victorian-era fashion.

My guess is that this woman was a wealthy member of the aristocracy who dabbled in the arcane and was possessed by an aetherial. This is why she’s not decked out in armor like every other female we’ve seen so far - she’s the first wealthy, upper-class woman that we’ve had a chance to interact with. She’s not gonna look like a random, small-town woman from a farming settlement.

put away your pitchforks and think about it logically. She’s not clad in bikini armor; she’s wearing clothing that is appropriate for the Victorian setting, and it’s the sort of clothing we’d expect a high-status woman to wear in Malmouth. If she was in some random fantasy garb that covered 10% of her body I’d be in agreement that it’s out of place, but her style of dress is not only acceptable, it’s expected and logical.

Too many people in this topic are acting like this is some sort of personal affront.

You made my day. :smiley: Recommended as signature.

Yay for dismissive hand waves!

Anyway, if you hadn’t previously noticed in game the female player char model without armour wears a similar corset get-up, so while artistically the lady ‘stands out,’ in game the character models are certainly not outrageous, just strong, fit female character.

I hope the arguments don’t overrun the discussion, the original comments were around the drawing of focus, not the model.

I don´t get it. Please elaborate.
Just kidding. :smiley:

Maybe people (I am not pointing fingers here) should get over themselves and change the way they look at things. Don´t ask yourselves if you are allowed to like the new loading screen. If you like it, that´s fine. If you like it because of the enormous cleavage, that´s fine too. Doesn´t hurt nobody, right?

Personally, I just like the new loading screen. It´s a cool picture, and I would kill to be able to draw like this. Hm, maybe a little tmi. :stuck_out_tongue: