Complete Remaster of Grim Dawn's vanilla textures, I bring you GrimTex

tx for updating the .05 working great. Nice load screens, lets us know we got it right. As I said before it doesnt seem much diff between this & the reshade I was using. But I do believe my game is running much smoother. & hopefully we can talk u into that version of high contrast/vision problem one someday. Again ty for this.

For the time being, there is no access to a PC.

Quick question Deathfather, is GrimTex now considered “Complete including expansions”??

If so, I reckon I’ll give the 4x version a whirl :slight_smile:

Im gonna update it here or there but yes. I consider it complete. :smiley:

• Checked it out friendo

I commend your efforts sir, sincerely.

Although I must say: the color-profile looks different/almost cartoony, certain textures have turned to “mud”, and overall it lacks the “gritty” look that defines the games art-style.

(I say these things, not to disrespect or discourage!! Quite the contrary, I’m hoping this mod becomes the GD equivalent of “Skyrim HD - 2K Textures” :+1: :+1: )

1 Like

Yes. A lot of the sharpened pixels from the original textures, were to make them pop at lower resolutions. They added a lot of noise, which is sadly removed by ALL ai software. So short of remastering them all by hand, which I could do, but it would take years. There is no way to fix that during an upscale. I tried several models in chainner, CUpscale via RealESRGAN, and the list goes on etc. They all remove the noise, as they see it as a blemish, which technically it is. It was a genius way to make lower res textures really stick out. I have used this method in the past. I know it loses some of its atmosphere, but the “mud” look is technically more realistic. Once you get used to it, its tough to go back. Also, I love any and all input anyone can give. I appreciate you trying it and giving me an honest review of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assure you I did my best to keep the SAME exact textures, as vanilla as possible. There are some I wanted to replace, but I did not. etc. If I find a better method in the future, I will update the mod!

1 Like

It may not be necessary now or even later, but wanted to throw out that the 1.2 Beta PTR - Crate “modernized” many/most of the rock textures in the game according to the patch notes. Not sure if that will need another pass from the mod once the patch goes live. I think they have said they may selectively be updating a few textures here and there like this.

2 Likes

I will just redo it for the 10th time lol. XD Ty for the info!

2 Likes

I was blind but now I see. Great job!

In version 6.0 you have improved many things. Thanks again for this mod! Greetings!

GREAT WORK Deathfather!!

Two minor things:

1. Could you please update GrimTex(4x) Original Color Profile to v6.0??

• There appear to be some missing textures (like the warp portal for Shattered Realm)
  2. In GrimTex(4x) v6.0, I noticed one of the ground textures wasn’t quite “meshing” at the portal for Lower Crossing Rift:
    (I haven’t checked all the other rifts, but I haven’t seen this issue anywhere else)

All in all, incredible work that seems just about Perfect!! (especially once the Original Color Profile gets updated along with that one minor Lower Crossing Rift quibble etc.) :+1: :+1:

I removed all fx textures this time around. I didnt notice a huge difference upscaling them, and with the added frames, it made it kind of a nightmare. Ill take a look at the textures near the portal soon. As for the original color profile, that one involved a lot of steps, and takes me the longest to update. I will have an update for it probably end of December.

1 Like

Also, thank you! Love the game, and want to keep it going anyways I can!

2 Likes

Thanks man! Keep up the INCREDIBLE work!!

FYI, I just noticed that texture “seam” on the Lower Crossing Rift also exists in the vanilla game…

(I guess your increased texture resolution just made it more obvious lol)

• Sooooo not really sure if that’s something you can fix??

Either way, definitely looking forward to the updated version of the Original Color Profile ( BTW, could we please get a 2x version of that as well?? PLEASE and Thank You kind sir! )

how much vram would x0.5 and x1 require, if you had to roughly estimate?
as in how potato friendly would the “best” be that doesn’t require 4-6+ GB /below the x2 versions and up?
and what’s the benefit of using x0.5 compared to vanilla visuals, if one can’t use x1?

I haven’t used the lower rez versions, but if I were to guess based on VRAM usage from 2x/4x :

0.5x uses 1GB of VRAM
1x uses a little under 2GB (like GD’s vanilla textures)
2x uses 4GB
4x uses 6-7GB

Basically, if you’re running say, an older video card with 1GB of VRAM or using integrated graphics - the 0.5x version would help reduce intermittent stutters etc.

reason i asked for clarification/specifics was the description said this

so was thinking maybe 1x = 3gb+?

I’m seriously leaning towards a little under 2GB for 1x (just like vanilla textures)

For example a 1024x1024 texture, whether “vanilla” or remastered via A.I., will still be about the same size.

And, since GD textures on High uses like… 1.8GB at 4K for me, I’m assuming it would be even less if someone played at say, 1080P. (Resolution is also a factor regarding VRAM usage)

So again, 1x=2GB or less, 0.5x=1GB or perhaps less. :+1: