Could Crucible be made more user friendly?

As much as I like the idea to make monsters immune to confuse and whatever cc effect in Crucible since they have a negative impact if you’re trying to get the best timer possible, we have to keep in mind that a significant portion of the player base is pretty casual and won’t make 5 min Crucible runs.

For those players (which I assume is a majority), completing Crucible itself is an achievement and cc effects can help them survive (which is why I like confuse on Horn of Gandarr for SR but that’s another discussion). For that reason, I don’t think removing certain cc effects is a good solution.

Builds tailored for Crucible are already different from the ones done with SR or superbosses in mind, avoiding certain skills is just another decision you have to make to cut those sweet seconds, if that’s what you’re after.

But removing mutators, that I can get behind.

4 Likes

Crab_Turtle_2112, I just totally agree to this, thank you!

Of course. Which is why competitive builds avoid confuse like the fire. But this is of course a matter of preference - go competitive or meme. So I would not like confuse to be taken down completely as it will always have fans like you that need to be accomodated for like everyone else.

But just like the mutators, if something is such a huge detriment to an important playstyle (and competitive playstyle is important), it should remain optional. Imo confuse should be limited to skill modifiers so that it does not meme-fy otherwise potentially good skills.

What if another map would be added - crucible of the dead - build test.
With no mutators and no cc effects.

3 Likes

… then it is the PLAYSTYLE that’s wrong!! Please get that or I start doubting the species once more!

That I could live with. More OPTIONS is always better.

I second that Idea. So everyone can know, that those super generic masterbuilds have their own rulesets with them.

man, stop shouting out loud.
as for now, you’re mostly derailing the thread with your emotions.

Crucible’s tribute system is pretty hard to beat if you are new player without much experience. One death can cost your all tributes, since you need buffs/banners to climb higher. And if you don’t use program/mod/save file shenanigans to reset them, you’re back at square one needed to farm tributes. And that’s partial explanation why Crucible is less popular end game mod (and fact it’s DLC). Also max number of tributes is too low*

About confuse in particular… I am confused why it’s working this way. Confuse acts like a free retreat command to mobs. And they can reset their own CC abilities or be healed by caster. It will be pretty cool if such effects turn enemies against each other instead in similar fashion to mind control of pets.

2 Likes

Nothing is derailed here, I just tell you how bad and selfcentered this idea (CCs) is.

I have to quote myself:

That’s not the way to play a game.

Let’s just have this for you record-hunters, who don’t play immersive, but ‘competitive’, yet still… generic.

Wow, ok, that face again… Let me explain then. By “competitive” and “meme” I mean this. If you try to optimize your build around objective values like max dmg or max SR consistency or balance between these - to then it’s “competitive” playstyle. If you organize your builds around arbitrary values such as “I like this and not that just because I do” - then it’s “meme” playstyle.

I dabbled in both. I think the game should accommodate for both to a larger extent. Thus, this thread.

3 Likes

What I meant was to give players a choice. Not to divide them or shelve them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The impact of certain CC effects can be detrimental for a mode that focuses on speed but these CC effects can be useful for certain builds. Confusing or terrifying enemies can be very important for the safety of a squishy caster or summoner.

Confusion has its inconveniences but it has more to do with the inconsistent behavior of enemies affected by it. Some monster just turn back and walk very slowly which makes them easy prey. Others, however, start running all over the place which makes aiming skills like Devouring Swarm next to impossible (Ch’thonian Devourers are a prime example).

I understand the annoyance that knockback can cause for melee characters. I’m playing an Apostate that focuses on getting the most damage out of Inquisitor Seal but i’m using the Bane Relic and the projectile keeps knocking enemies out of the seal. It’s really inconvenient.

Removing the CC altogether doesn’t sound like a good solution. Maybe adding an NPC that sells mutators for monsters? People could choose to buy effects that makes monsters stronger (like removing all CC effects) to increase their reward after combat. Another option could be reverse banners. Instead of buffing the player, they make the enemies slightly stronger and provide you with a better reward at the end.

1 Like

That’s what I call ‘generic’.

Put together some templates, calculate a bit… there you have it. Optimised, (boring to me), but well, to each his own.

I don’t want a full game mode set up only for generic playstyles.

I want generic players to be FORCED to abide by the rules set, and not change the rules as they see fit, so they can play more ‘convenient’.

Based on your explanation I am a ‘meme’-Player, but what I do is optimizing OFF-grid builds, not the obvious ones, 'cause latter anyone can do. I don’t need that.

But if your Ideas are set up in the game as ‘optional’, I could live with it.

I gotya right, no offense :wink:

how is this a bad thing? it makes them easier to kill, wth? @_@

this

i consider myself a filthy casul cruci runner, i use banners, and guess what, i use cc too if i have it.
When you’re surrounded by mobs, being able to eliminate a significant portion of the inc trash damage and not having to worry about casters or ranged or other trash on the fringes of your encirclement, and only have to focus on the handful of bosses, is a fairly big deal/help
i’ll never do 4min runs, i know this, but i also don’t care about it, for me Cruci is a gangbang fest i do purely for fun, since it’s also not efficient farming. But, even if it’s for fun, it’s still not always super fun if you just fold over and die all the time; CC, specially confuse, helps mitigate some dmg for casuls when you’re focused on the 3-6bosses around you, and it’s why i love something like ill omen in cruci.

3 Likes

Yeah but it’s not trash dmg you need to worry about (at least not in Crucible or SR <80). All their phys is eaten by armor, and the rest is insignificant after res, flat absorb, etc.

What you need to worry about is their aura or cooldown debuffs. For example, trash Animated Preserver has ridiculous 34% dmg redux which he will hit you with after 3s and then again if you let him live for 7 seconds more. And Eldrich Spirit he revives as, if you don’t kill him in 3s, turns on a 40% DMG REDUX AND STACKABLE 22% RR AURA. These guys don’t really deal much dmg but they are no joke when you let them live when the big boys are around.

This is why confuse or knowckback is so bad especially for builds with little or inconsistent AoE. Because it doesn’t help with debuffs for most part but often saves them from damage.

3 Likes

i’ve died to trash dmg in Cruci :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well, I for one don´t compete against time, but more for success ^^. Confusion helps with that.

2 Likes

“Oh nice a QoL thread for Cruci, let’s go!”

> It’s an anti-mutator rant

Damn, oh well.

Pox, it’s thematic. Now try Uroboruuk’s Guise. DE is supposed to be a skill where you want enemiesnto come to you. Then you have terrify on the set.

Fact is terrify and confuse is only useful if your build sucks so much that you die to trash mobs. If you have a strong build already it just serves to make your skills hit less and make you chase more. That holds true Crucible or not. The mobs you actually want to terrify are immune to it. The ones that aren’t are the ones you wanna come to you. Really it’s just an annoying mechanic.