Devotions: A how-to on maximizing them

1. Do you have the recipe for divine conduit? If yes, I would craft it until you get the one which converts physical damage to cold damage to RF

2. Chilling grips of hagarrad are your go to gloves. You want to convert as much pierce damage as possible from aura of conviction and arcane empowerment in to cold.

3. You don’t need that one point in EoR

4. OA/DA needs work - gun for a minimum of 2.7k before buffs. I usually like at least 3k on mine (though I have settled for less).

5. But the biggest weakness here is its attack speed - it’s a low 127%. In addition, you are not making use of the inquisitors strongest skill-set: ranged WPS.

I would use a ranged weapon if I were you. Even something like this might serve you well: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9xDaP2

1. Don’t see a reason to not complete silver sentinel set

2. Last, but certainly not least, you haven’t taken sufficient devotions to boost your attack speed, nor have you taken any tier 3 constellations.

I would personally try to make a run for both dying God and ultos while grabbing rumor, jackal, crown, and ghoul.

EDIT: DO NOT TAKE AURA OF CONVICTION. Use aura of censure. Your resist reduction is an unacceptable low of -55 RR. A minimum threshold for most damage types is -100%. This is another reason why you should finish the silver sentinel set.

Thank you for your quick reply.

but after all, you think its work to keep going on my idea, or scrap and play something more sword and board paladin, etc?

I think any paladin using RF should use guns

EDIT: Somewhere in this thread I linked a post made by Ceno (at least I think it’s Ceno) which explains the different types of RR. But basically, Viper doesn’t count.

As for -100% RR, yes. That’s a minimum. Kuba has 94% cold resist. If you only have 60% RR, you will effectively have -34% dps when fighting him.

And yes, DG even if it’s not your damage type - I’ve also explained why DG is one of the best options for 2H. And Ultos provides lots of cold damage as well.

2nd EDIT: Wrt your question on 2H’s and attackspeed:

Think about it. Attack speed is a direct multiplier on dps for any autoattacking build. Assuming everything else remains constant, if you have 200% AS and I have 100% AS, wouldn’t your dps be twice as much as mine?

There is also an AS penalty on 2H which makes it even harder for players to hit this 200% cap. Thus all things giving attack speed &/or total speed is a must.

This ties back to your question on grips of hagarrad - once you have the ranged gun, you’d probably want to invest in ranged expertise for AS. Hagarrads will help with pierce/cold conversion.

Of course, best case scenario would be if you could pair silver sent., hagarrad gloves, and alkamos rings together.

Has this thread evolved to become “spankys build help support” :rolleyes:

Updated OP to include ‘devotion pathing’ for Autoattackers, casters, and CDR-based builds.

Formatting is crap, but it’s there for anyone interested

To all the players benefiting from this guide:

As mentioned in the introduction, this is an extremely complicated topic to tackle. Thus, writing it is no simple task.

It would be extremely helpful if I could get some feedback as to how you want me to actually proceed.

I’m not sure how deep to go into the details, or if I’m over-explaining things. Is it confusing? Am I answering your questions? Or am I striking a good balance between the 2?

Don’t hesitate to tell me I’m doing a terrible job too, if you really think I am. Just be sure to explain why so I can actually rectify my mistake.

In the “must have” section, for cold, you write murmur, for Acid you write Rumor.
Do you mean to say that in the case of acid, only pick the first few nodes till the proc?

Oh sorry. I confuse the 2. It’s Murmur the mistress of rumors or something. I’ll correct it.

Did the majority of changes you said, not all of then, but the majority, you already helped me alot, so i will try to focus on the devotion side of my char, and in the melee style, maybe will help more people than focusing only on my char.

If i could make a suggestion, defensive must have for melee, defensive must have for caster, defensive must have for summoners (pets etc), then focusing on damage types etc.

I think your topic is going great, some people experienced in bleeding builds, cold builds, etc, etc are giving suggestions, feedback and implementations.

ofc things can be improved, like ours chars in grim dawn, a tweak here and there, in time your topic will evolve to a even better topic, my 2 cents, my opinion…

I feel like defensive devotions are trickier than offensive devotions because it’s so dependent on your class mastery/itemization.

One of the best defensive constellations is solemn watcher as I’ve mentioned. But if you already have 3.2k DA, then there’s really no point in getting it.

I’ll think about what you said though

I’m not sure how deep to go into the details, or if I’m over-explaining things. Is it confusing? Am I answering your questions? Or am I striking a good balance between the 2?

Anything else?

Another interesting consideration about defense is how much you really want.
If, say, you have a retaliation-focused char with very high block chance, counterstrike, and on-block triggers, you don’t actually want a lot of DA - though it’ll be hard to avoid.
After all, you need the enemy to actually hit you.

Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m struggling with.

How do I describe what is ‘enough’? There are so many different kinds of builds.

Sometimes, even generic ‘metrics’ aren’t even applicable.

This is a very helpful discussion as a newer player. I have always sucked at making builds in any game I have played…I do not really enjoy that particular type of thought process.

The general ideas in here will be very helpful.

Thank you for all the time and effort put into consolidating this type of information!

You’re more than welcome.

I guess I’ve hit a roadblock in terms of how to proceed. Because the more I talk about must-have’s, the more I realize how dependent they actually are on many other variables, making a generic discussion near impossible to do IMO.

A good example would be how I had to sidetrack into discussing the mechanics of CDR, something I had never intended on doing.

And I don’t want to continue down that path because it is time consuming, unless it’s actually very beneficial to everyone.

Because I have other guides to update as well what with FG’s release.

Basically - my decision to continue this guide is largely dependent on the response I get. So far, it seems like the benefit it offers to others is not worth the time I’d need to spend on it.

Don´t continue it. :slight_smile:

No, it isn´t bad or something, quite in the contrary. It is really good for really new players to understand devotions but for a Beginner´s guide, it is enough.

Have a look in this thread now and then, if someone asks a question.

Gave this thread to 5 new players in an PnP-RPG-Forum who just started Grim Dawn. For them, the “Mystery of Devotions” is a little bit more solved.

Great work. :slight_smile:

Thanks rhylthar. In that case, I’ll tidy it up and leave it as it is.

What would be nice though, is if some pet crafters chimed in on devotions for pets. Because I haven’t a clue.

For pets there is huge ranking and thoughts about devotion in sigatrev beginner’s conjurer build http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80181

Cool. I’ll add a link. Thanks nery!

Rhylthar nailed it, i was going in the same direction with my opinion, the topic give direction to new players, ideas, help then understand the devotion system, why is important resistance reduction constellations, top must have constellation for some damage types, etc, etc.

and if someone have a question this person can ask you for help.

if you dig deeper, will end in skills choices, item choices, even class choices…
like you said:

this will give people a guideline, then they will explore the strength and weakness of his class and adjust accordingly like you said, like you helped me (and i’m consider myself a mid tier, but i think i need more info and comprehension about the game to achieve mid tier player :p).

Add info you think is important here and there, just when you think its need to be done, but in my opinion you already did a great job ;).

Okay. So it seems most people are satisfied with the way things currently are.

Creating this to-do for myself because the OP is getting crazy cluttered. Feel free to suggest anything you’d like me to address, and I’ll consider adding it to this list:

• Wrap up discussion on shield based builds (I feel like this is going to be popular now that the OK is out)
  • Link Sig’s pet devotions thing
  • Clean up the formatting