Diagonal and curved building placement

building rotate only 90 degree unit.

so building isn’t parallel with diagonal road right now

so implementing various angles of building placement would be nice

4 Likes

Well, since the road system can do that, i think the same could be done for the buildings, walls and fences too. But im afraid there must be some limitation with the game engine. Not sure though.:thinking:

It would be really nice … but I fear that it my be impossible.
The fact that they use a grid makes it unlikely to be a possibility.
If it was an hexagonal grid it would at least give 6 possible orientations instead of 4 … but wouldn’t help all that much.

In the end, this game uses a grid, but they made a special case for roads.
They would have to get rid of the grid and do something like Cities Skyline.

The grid itself is not a reason which will make this impossible.

Caesar IV has a grid system too, but you can rotate buildings (and roads) 45°.

Caesar IV doesn’t seem to be on a grid and buildings rotate only 90° too.
At least from what I saw.

Not true. :slight_smile: Caesar IV is grid-based and you can rotate 45° according to the nearby road. Meaning that you can draw a road rotated 45° and then if you attach a building to its edge it auto-rotates 45° to follow the road (you only have to click on the ground and “drag” a little bit towards the road and the building rotates).

OK, in the video I saw he never put buildings on the 45° roads.
You’re limited in 4 dispositions for your roads and buildings snap to it.

Anyway, it isn’t a grid.
Crate decided to use a grid. It simplifies lots of things (mostly for pathing I guess and check if you can build in some place). But adds constraints that make it kind of impossible to have buildings sideways, unfortunately, without wasting lots of space. Crate, please, prove me wrong.

How can you tell Caesar IV is not grid-based? You cannot place a building wherever you want: you have to respect a sort of grid. The road’s width is 3 cells, an “insula” for example is a 7x7, and when you drag its ghost shape before building, its movement is not seamless, but it “jumps” basing on a sort of grid. Isn’t this a grid-based system?

See this Youtube video at this exact point.

I’m playing on a game (Bastide) which also uses a grid when building and all the buildings can rotate freely to place them along the path.

Indeed, the grid is so small compared to the buildings that I didn’t see it. And this makes it more possible to do so without losing too much space.

It really boils down to how tightly the buildings are tied to the grid and the pathing and collision too.

Yeah cells are very small in Caesar IV, but at the cost of an apparently much “smaller” world. Or we could just say that buildings are very big if compared to cells. :smiley:

Technical reasons to rotate buildings (at least 45°) so shouldn’t be there, unless of course we’re ignoring something behind the scene in our specific case of FF. Let’s hope!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.