Do you have a character that never becomes boring to you?

I took a long break after completing Grim Dawn, but eventually I felt the urge to play it again, and maybe even get to really high SR this time.

Now obviously after 2500 hours put into this game I do have plenty of chars, but I noticed something funny: many of them are actually really boring to me. In fact, I can’t stand playing more than 10-20 mins.

However, all two-handed Shamans I have just never seem to tire me. It’s just so satisfying to watch them slam their massive weapon and ragdoll mobs with ridiculous crits. I mean, I sometimes even take them to run around the map and kill things just for fun, because their attack animations are so satisfying, especially Warder’s procs with Zolhan’s, Markovian’s and Feral hunger. I also enjoy that they are essentially a do-everything kind of characters, depending on build/second mastery they can facetank Ubers and they don’t really fear much in general, delivering some mindless fun. Playing 2H dudes makes me recall my first days playing Grim Dawn (with a Warder, heh), when I’d just play to watch mobs fly around after getting smacked by feral hunger.

As opposed to many different builds I tried that just didn’t work for me. For example, my Dagallon’s Purifier is probably the best go-to charcter to clean the map quickly (ie. to hunt for Ugdenblooms or godly rares) because of the ridiculous speed he kills groups with, but there’s just something about his animations that makes it… not as satisfying to play. And then there are characters like Chillwhisper Reaper which are just… okay… but I really can’t play them long. I just get bored, and after a couple attempts I just go back to 2H shaman-based builds, lol.

There’s also the thing that they aren’t really that great against Celestials like Ravager or Callagadra, unlike those 2h builds that can (depending on the build) do well against those or even facetank them. In fact, many builds just can’t put a dent against celestials at all, and that pisses me off.

How about you? Any characters you can play for hours and never get tired? and the other part of the spectrum, any characters that just seem to bore you to tears?

2 Likes

Generally any meme build that lives outside the box. In Diablo 2 I always enjoyed picking classes and playing them in ways they werent meant to be played, just because i could. My favorite was using sorceress and investing all my stats into strength, dexterity, and health rather than intelligence. Using ice to freeze enemies and relying on bows to take down enemies at range, and secondary weapons sword and shield for when they got close. A battlemage of sorts, for all intents and purposes. When d3 released i was excited to do this in the next gen title. Unfortunately the same flexibility of build customization and sense of freedom from d2 didnt carry over to d3.

Some years later i found this game and my prayers were finally answered. The freedom to experiment with different build approaches from d2, expanded into oblivion! Dual classing, and devotions! So much unique gear that does awesome stuff! Components, Augments, abilities coming from all kinds of sources!

Its a dream come true, and a meme-lovers paradise, this game. So much freedom! Currently, im experimenting with a couple builds focused around Petrification. Having the most fun with the Witch Hunter variation, I have appropriately named Perseus. Fist of Vire AND Eye of Korvaak, and working towards the use of multiple gear pieces that can petrify as well as immobilization skills like blade trap and ring of steel, and exploiting the retaliation power of blade barrier! Very addictive playstyle, feels fresh. Something else great about this game- even after 2500+ hours, feels fresh!

4 Likes

Grim Dawn’s encourages having multiple specs with it’s variety, so it’s hard to fully focus on on character only.

But of course there are builds that I always return to.

Cold Dual Wield melee Infiltrator is my most played character and I like Shadow Strike skill in general. Also Phantasmal blades Reaper is favorite of mine.

1 Like

My Paladin. Because she’s all mine, all theory-crafted, all self-found and because I’m a melee-loving bastich who likes to spread the holy light to the unbelievers. And yes, she followed Kymon’s Chosen. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

On self-discovered characters, it is kinda funny, because my characters are WAY stronger than what Crate used to nerf (EoR Archon - many times - and Chillwhisper set, even recently Blade spirit got nerfed), and they are somewhat under the radar.

Don’t tell me that a EoR weakling that can’t even scratch Ravager is better than a dude that face tanks the Celestial. How on earth would that be possible? Yet the EoR weakling gets nerfed, and my chars don’t. Huh! :wink:

NON META PRIVILEGE! Hopefully they will not get “discovered” and thus overplayed, overhyped and nerfed to crap tier.

At least I have a grand total of four characters that can beat Ultimate mode Celestials without much hassle. With the exception of Crate of Entertainment which is a no-no to two of my top dogs due to their AoE nature. And no, they aren’t all melee. One is a summoner, one is a caster (rare breed of a caster that can actually survive, lol).

I think what’s fun about “self discovered” characters is that they are often built around “godly” rares (MI with two rare affixes) and getting those beyond theorycrafting… well. But there’s always something to look forward to. A character wearing only unique items can be “completed” really quickly and from there, there’s just nothing to strive for anymore. And hack and slash requires characters to undergo constant improvements in order not to get boring. Once you’ve finished and perfected the build, there’s literally nothing else to do.

Also, does anyone else feel that Grim Dawn is way more fun with melee dudes? The satisfying animations, the proc skills, the screen-shaking crits, the more natural use of mobility skills… it’s just satisfying. More than spamming a single cast 24/7 and running around in circles because like 90% casters are absolutely NON VIABLE trash with no reliable recovery method and insufficient bulk even with “godly” items. I mean, just try to facetank Ravager with a Chillwhisper dude. Yeah, those blade spirits will do, ummm, 0 damage after a minute? If you even live that long, because he will two shot you. That thing does 10k+ damage per hit on crits with 30-40% physical resistance. Good luck countering that with Drain Essence’s lifesteal ;))

And chillwhisper is a rare kind of caster that actually has multiple built-in lifesteal mechanics. Now, take a poor, underpowered SoB like the Infernal Knight based build spamming Blackwater coctail. How on earth is THAT supposed to beat Callagadra or Ravager?

Characters that I created myself are the most fun to play for me: Skelemancer Cabalist, Dagallon Purifier and Auramancer Infltrator.