Does anyone here actually enjoy fighting arcane heroes in SR?

I actually agree with the OP. Arcane mobs are a big nuisance. I understand the argument of consequences of inaction, but it just feels like these mobs aren’t there to test your skill in any way. Simply a distraction and a very annoying one. Every time I see one of these mobs in HC SR, I adopt the “single out and eliminate ASAP” stance immediately. No skill, no thinking is required. Aim and shoot till it’s dead. Ignore and you may just RIP regardless of your skill. I don’t enjoy fighting these mobs at all.

People often have many different arguments for why this mechanic or that mechanic doesn’t test your skill, shouldn’t be present in the diablo-like. Unfortunately for them, it’s a diablo-like. There are only just so many tools developers have at their disposal for… testing skill… that it falls upon them to make use of them all in some form, to greater or lesser extent.

In the end it isn’t about testing your skill… it’s about seeing if you are paying fucking attention to what’s going on about you which then becomes about you reacting to what’s going on about you.

If you aren’t seeing the issue in time… and reacting to it, in time… then what does that say about your skill?

1 Like

Who said I’m not seeing or not reacting in time? I said nuisance. That is, not enjoyable tool to check my attention levels. That’s my subjective personal opinion. And if we are comparing to diablo, this is more annoying than those extra health + shielded mobs they had at some point, until players complained so much that both affixed got removed hehe.

The issue I’m seeing is this need to invent such attention checks in the first place. Did players actually complain about insufficient nuisance mechanics? I wonder who suggested it and why?

The question wasn’t meant to be taken point blank literal. I could also ask, “If you are seeing the issue in time… and reacting to it, in time… then what does that say about your skill?” and the question still has the same intended effect. Both versions bring you to the same examination.

The fact that you don’t like it is all well and good - but it still requires as much skill as any other check in the game.

Grim Dawn (and all similar games of this ilk) are diablo-likes. They are always being compared one to the other. Just the way that cookie crumbles.

/shrugs

The varied responses in this thread show sufficiently that the “nuisance” tag itself is highly subjective. Just because you consider it to be so doesn’t necessarily mean that it is (or isn’t). Simply depends on the person.

This particular conundrum brings us around to that old saying, “You can’t please all of the people all of the time, only some of the people some of the time.” This is true for game developers as well as anyone else.

True. I love this game and even those pesky arcane mobs won’t change that. :wink:

1 Like

Wow and you’re playing HC. Imagine in SR your geared character suddenly being stripped from buffs and killed before you can apply them back. Nasty!

Are you quoting me from a few weeks ago? :wink:
I used to rage about it a lot here. Ended up re-thinking my gameplay and tactics. I don’t make chars that rely on auras to cap resistances anymore. So, all the defensive stats now come mostly from passive bonuses. It’s the offensive part which is now moved to auras. So, worst case, you lose damage, some regeneration and maybe res overcap for a second. It’s annoying, but what can you do?

No, I quoted you from the post few hours ago. Not relying on auras for resistances is smooth. Some builds like Mage Hunters will rely for buffs more than other chars. Sometimes am so sick having to reapply 8 auras in the middle of combat :smile:

IKR, or attempts to finish SR 80 in HC with 10 potions + all the auras…
But hey, we aren’t supposed to complain if we go out of the mainstream box. And casters that rely on auras for survival are [apparently] out of scope. Or the skill argument. If you play a high dps caster, you are supposed to pilot it better to avoid those arcane mobs. Either way it’s on the player. Choose which argument you hate more lol

JUst play birds.

talking about birds, i wonder how summoners’ current situation when dealing with arcane enemies.

I only have one pet build, a double familiar Conjurer which is really old and probably not optimized for the current patch, but it doesn’t have any problems with Arcanes in SR, never had. Arcanes just die like everything else before they even get close enough to cast their null balls. Ofc you still gotta mind your positioning (preferably behind your wall of pets :sweat_smile:) but that’s about it.
If you scroll up this thread you’ll see a similar statement from @Maya.

btw what happens if the null ball hits a pet? Are buffs from pets like Storm Spirit or Hellfire affected? If so, do the pets automatically re-cast those buffs?

Pet buffs aren’t affected and they just act like nothing happened

so summoners are basically hard counters to arcane heroes then?

but what about enemies with auras that reduce max health? does the pets get affected by them?

That should affect them afaik.

Summoner hard counters any strong single target enemies. Gravathul, Arcane…basically anything that would give you a painful debuff is given to pets.

Arcane mobs are yet another example of the annoying game design permeating some aspects of this game. A much more elegant way to implement this, would be: Arcane mobs place a debuff on your character that negates the effects of your buffs. Lasts for 30 seconds. Done! And you could counter this by using nullification on yourself, or being grouped with someone who can.

Agree with the OP. if i could have all my toggled skills on the same bar than the active ones it wouldn’t bother me but as it is now it may be the clunkiest mechanic of the game (and i don’t even find them yet in SR mind you).

I feel like a debuff would be too good for Arcanists who can purge yet worse for tons of builds that cant. Why not an aura of supression instead?

because some arcane heroes are nigh-immune to crowd control top of charging you every 6 seconds (Archanis, Speldrakus). Or charge you every 3 seconds (Cesaprin), or 5 seconds (Cespal)

1 Like