Does Necromancer not have good synergies with other classes?

Just asking because in my opinion Necromancer has weak or non-existing synergies for Demolist. I do not know if it is the same case with other classes but I would like to hear whether Necromancer has weak synergies or if I am just mistaken.

It have perfect synergies with aether, vitality, poison/acid and physical damage types.
It means Soldier, Arcanist, Occultist, Shaman. Less with Inquisitor, Nightblade and worst with Demo.

Last night I was thinking about a Physical/Fire Skeleton Defiler using these skills -

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/b283OqGN

Wouldn’t know how to gear it though. You could probably wind up with some really, really tough as nails skellies that dish out good damage. The trick would be reducing enemy fire/phys res to an acceptable level. Caster survivability would be high.

In my opinion, it has a good synergy with Demolitionist if you build it right.

Alone, with no items, yes, it hasn’t. I also don’t think other classes have synergies with other classes (however it sounds, lol). I’ll take Occultist as an example, for many people it has a good/very good synergy with other classes, in my opinion it’s just a support class that is picked only for Curse of Frailty and Blood of Dreeg. Yes you can use it for physical casters using the Gladiator belt (100% vital -> physical) and Beronath (100% chaos&elemental -> physical), but that’s about it. I mean, not only with these items, but what I mean is casters in general. If you play a Vitality/Chaos character, this is a very good class, if you play a caster. You can say exactly the same about Necromancer here, where it’s a support class or a caster-only class (like occultist).

We actually could rant about classes having or not having synergies all the time. We could even point every class for not having synergies with others. Heck, even get Arcanist here combined with Demolitionist and go for a siege build (Mortal Trap) and Arcanist doesn’t really support your build now.

Back to Demo/Necro, there are plenty ideas on how to make these classes synergize, https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/11200 or even Conduit that changes Fire Strike fire -> vitality. I see many ideas, not only vitality. You want to have a funny physical build? Gladiator belt (100% vital -> physical) + Beronath Sword for Demo/Necro and you’re good to go with a physical build with a decent physical resist shred, which can go up to 77% RR if you pick two -10% physical RR rings. You can go both, caster and fighter.

If you think enough, you can manage to combine every class successfully, not only by supporting by two skills like we do with Occultist plenty of times.

That’s my opinion, feel free to (dis)agree with me

I’m just nitpicking here but you can’t really go with bladetwister signet on a beronath build, it messes up conversion.

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/9040

Thats one. If you mean using two of those, they won’t stack as they are the exact same debuffs.
It’s like you wanna stack 2 CoFs from 2 chars in multi.
Same debuffs would not stack, it doesn’t matter if they come from different items and/or characters.

You’ve picked one of the worst classes in the game for referrence.

Everything else more or less synergizes with necromancer.
Cabalist and Ritualist - easily work either as a pet class or vitality caster.
Spellbinder and Apostate - easily work as Drain Essense builds.
Death Knight - synergizes through -% physical resistance reduction, otherwise your typical Cadence soldier
Reaper is tricky, but synergy is there via Bone Harvest’s cold damage.

Inquis and Necro are currently some of the most powerful in GD with Inquis taking the lead.

The class combo you chose, funnily enough, is currrent;y the gardest for Necro.

You can do Fire Defiler or Vitality defiler but gearing is difficult and you stil depend on lvl 94 gear to bring the classes together in terms of dmg type. Afaik Defilers will have more glory in FG xpac but I still expect it to depend on end game gear a lot.

Until end end i’d level with Ravenous Earth+ agonizing flames+ Bone harvest line. Use a Bone spike or two for RE mods.

I disagree with this. I’ve struggled incredibly hard to make a viable build using this gun.

Might be my own inadequacies though.

i’ve started a defiler (demo/necro) a while back but didn’t play it for long. the idea was basically “BURNING SKELETONS”

which sounded cool and awesome, but wasn’t that great in practice. it was really just a generic mass skeleton necro build that utilized flame touched and flash bang (and some other demo stuff) to buff the skellies.

i think most other masteries have more obvious and readily available synergies with the necro mastery.

the only necro i played to max level was my reaper. that worked just fine out of the box without the need for fancy endgame mythical stuff - worked just fine with native class skills and random items (2H cold damage build)

I’ve cleared gladiator 170 using a gargabol defiler: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWQezJN

The gun is underwhelming, but there are quite a few other weapons that deserve buffs before gargabol does.

If it was 2x gargabol+Dark one then it was adequate. But it’s sort of redundant since Radaggan can also do RE+fissure.

Also no RE mods on weapon, and very weird to use with FS if that is what you tried it with

It’s underwhelming because the gun excels in vitality decay while the defiler class has no real means of using vitality decay.

Also. No attack speed.

I was ranting about it here: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75159

There is vit BWC + agonizing flamesrr+RE.

It’s doable just not amazing

Thats… a lot of info there but thanks for the arguments and opinions. I later did saw what was mentioned already that not every class has strong synergies with other classes. It just happened that I saw it first on the Defiler.

The builds are interesting and I will take a closer look on it.

Some of you may remember JoV’s Vortex of Souls Sorceror from awhile back. The premise was simple: convert fire -> aether and chaos -> aether and use Fire Strike with VoS. The same concept can apply to Defiler.

Consider the following incomplete build:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EAPAJ2

It gets 80% fire -> aether and 90% chaos -> aether without too much trouble.

You can also use Dreadscorcher.

It’s not new. It’s pretty obvious that you can make Defiler work with conversions from items. Aldrich’s Decree, Dreadfire, Blazehearts, Gargabol, maybe even phys build with Beronath and Glad Distinction, a few 2H concepts as well besides the rifles already mentioned. There’s vitality BWC as well.

Problem is these builds just kinda work, none of them are amazing. Amazing builds have good synergy between classes and dedicated sets. Defiler has none.

It helps to think of Defiler as a Saboteur little bro that has weaker WPS.

IMO, the demolitionist has the weakest synergy between classes.

Yeah. Commando, Purifier, Elementalist, Pyromancer and Sorcerer are complete non-synergetic trash as well. Let’s delete Demolitionist already and replace it with Paladin :rolleyes: