DoT retal needs its flat per second bumping up in general to make a difference

This is from a topic about absence of bleeding retal:

@tqFan and I talk about DoT retal there but I guess this deserve a new topic.

The mechanism is: DoT retal doesn’t scale on different RtA, so only the biggest RtA works. However, Retal builds generally don’t have a big RtA source but a series of small RtA sources. This is not a problem for direct damage but it’s very serious for DoT.

As mentioned, the only three reasonable DoT retal builds are Aegis, Grenado and DEE. I am saying they are reasonble because of their high RtA, but I’m not saying they are strong. They still lacks damage.

Another problem is that DoT retal cannot use Life leech, resulting in a great loss of tankiness, which is not reasonable on a retal build.

There are 2 ways to help DoT retal:

1. Increasing RtA in general
  2. Increasing flat DoT retal per second in general.

Increasing RtA will help direct retal more than DoT retal, making it very hard to balance. So I suggest increasing flat DoT retal per second in general, so that DoT retal builds can get some help while DoT retal still plays a nobody in other retal builds.

10 Likes

I have nothing smart to add to this thread, other than throwing my unreserved support behind this proposition.

1 Like

always kinda wondered if maybe we weren’t “supposed” to build a direct/“pure” dot retal build, both the way the mechanic way, but also the way the sources are more limited
sorta felt like it might be one of those “thematic” stats, like pet retal :grin:,
tho with some build dedication, and buffs, player dot retal could actually be made to work

2 Likes

very good idea to Dot,love from China。 :grinning:

Since this beloved guy got disappointed with his retal builds, I decided to do a DoT retal build on my own. I built a mixed Burn/Elec Retal Grenade Purifier with about 60% of its retal sheet being DoT retal. Then I did some tests.

The build: Purifier, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Video link: Retal Burn&Elec Grenade Purifier v1.1.9.7 火电(含DoT)附反手榴弹净化者 慎抄!_单机游戏热门视频

Performance:
CR: 5:15 but winrate is not 100% (wave 169 and 170 are very dangerous for this)
Almost got killed at wave 169 in the video.

SR: 7:09 for single run. 7:48, 8:25 and 8:52 for 3 runs straight. Died twice in the 3 runs straight.

Ravager of minds: failed.

My comments:

This is probably the most reasonable RATA grenade build I could come up with, if it was required to use at least 50% of DoT retaliation. It was optimized, and the early version could die several times in just one single SR run. Though optimized, its performance is still unbearable. One build that is not tanky should have higher damage than this, or to say, one build having this kind of damage should be tankier.

A DoT build is weak at recovering from damage because of lack of life leech. The only way for a DoT build to get enough tankiness is sacrificing its damage a little and put the resources into life, armor, physical resist and so on. The easiest way to save a DoT build is giving it some more damage so that it could devote more resources on tankiness. I didn’t see any balanced damage nor tankiness on this DoT retal grenade build, let alone sacrificing damage for better survival capability.

Based on this instance, I insist that DoT retal needs its flat per second bumping up in general, unless Crate just doesn’t want people to play DoT retal.

3 Likes

I’ve tried another DoT retal build. This time it’s mixed Burn/Elec Retal Aegis ShieldBreaker, also with about 60% of its retal sheet being DoT retal.

The build: Shieldbreaker, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Video link: Retal Burn&Elec Aegis ShieldBreaker v1.1.9.7 火电(含DoT)附反飞盾破盾者 不要抄!_哔哩哔哩bilibili

Performance:
CR: 6:38. Can’t even do a sub 6.

SR 75&76: The first run 8:51. The second run 9:41, got killed twice by Sister Crimson.

Ravager of minds: failed.

My comments:
A piece of s**t. Unbearably low damage and bad life leech. Have some terrible troubles fighting those who can summon a volcano.

Another example is Retal Poison DEE/Aegis Sentinel, with its retal sheet being over 75% DoT.

The build: Sentinel, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Video link: Retal Poison DEE&Aegis Sentinel v1.1.9.7 毒反邪眼飞盾哨兵 不要抄!_哔哩哔哩bilibili

Performance:
CR: Can’t pass wave 169.

SR 75&76: 12:00. Unbearably slow.

Ravager: forget about this!

My comments:
Another piece of s**t. The more percentage DoT retal takes, the worse the builds would perform!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.