Drain Essence Needs...Something

But why tag trash, when you can kill it with the flat damage immediately?

I’d actually like to see how long it takes to kill a target with flat + dot versus only flat (boosted with transferred dot) damage. I don’t think it is irrelevant, since it is a direct boost to flat damage which ticks several times per second vs 1 second of tiny damage instance

You didn’t understand what I wrote. You can always balance the skill to deal the same damage / s when focusing on a beefy target with max casting speed.

By removing the dots the only thing you accomplish is a removal of a feature of channeling skills which is burning down enemies (which can deal a lot of damage while you don’t do anything, focus on a different target). It’s a bonus.

You don’t need to accomplish DPS increase this way because that can be tweaked independently (by looking at DPS at beefy targets) without removing the burning down feature.

Don’t you understand the concept of leaving stuff to burn down for a better kill-time? Then watch this video at 5:00. It’s the best example of that. Of course it’s gonna be to a much lesser degree with channeling skills but the principle is the same.

If suddenly every skill in the game would get an after effect like that - it would be a massive buff.

Or let’s say you are fighting Callagadra or Crate and can only channel during the small % of the fight.
Now the dots are a bigger help. You say - remove the dots and increase the base damage so that it’s the same.

But you can’t because it would make the build overtuned for normal content (you’d have to double the damage for example) where you don’t need to kite that much and where the DoTs are smaller % of your damage output (due to them not scaling with tick ratio and casting speed) and which the game is balanced on

1 Like

idk, it’s 25% TDM for one single point, seems pretty strong to me

Imo DoTs on channelling abilities can be totally fine, very nice for kiting actually.

It’s just a numbers game.

1 Like

Another example - let’s imagine a super fast AAR 360 degree spin covering the whole screen so that every mob is damaged by only one tick (not sure if even possible though) You do that and move on while mobs die in 5s. Obviously you cannot adjust this 1 tick damage to the 5s burn - it would make the skill broken. This is supposed to show that the DoT part is actually a bonus.

1 Like

It is a strong point, no doubt about that.
I just cant see it magically turing something that does very awful dmg into something that suddenly blasts everything to pieces…

Haven’t played a DE build in a while. I never understood how a 50 sp investment spam skill can have dps literally lower than skills granted by weapon components or relics. 464 flat per tick, and it’s not even a true aoe attack.

If somehow DE seemed fine to someone in 9.8, there is an adamant argument about buffing the skill now: DE regarded as a leech-tank skill, but it has hard limit on leech granted by nodes and gear items. And this limit was nerfed by leech resistance buff. WD based skills can shift investments into more global adcth, but DE cannot. On top, Necro has no access to buffed regen.

But even if you buff its leech into the sky, it won’t change the fact that the skill doesn’t have a remotely competitive dmg output in endgame.

5 Likes

That. Plus some of the sets supporting it are just outdated, I am looking at you, Chillwhisper. Chanelling set that takes up chest and shoulder slot and gives zero physical resist. This is my Reaper that I made years ago. Double seals of might and just 21% physical resist. That value is unplayable for a chaneller with no damage absorption especially in 1.2 meta. Also Grasp of the Dead off-hand that seems to be tailor-made for Chillwhisper Reaper could also use a physical resist rule.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the video proof, I know you guys have it somewhere @mad_lee @banana_peel

I am gonna need to record it

Don’t want to be toxic or saying that this is not a valid feedback but I think we all know how the vid is going to look :laughing:

  • DE build speedrunning (not meant in pejorative way) SR 75-76 or Crucible dying to some shit

Facetanking everything in spawn while not moving and refusing to use evade? classic

Nah I have faith the toxic elitists can provide proper video feedback, if they want to.

I didn’t even mean that but that it might sometimes be hard to picture what a speed-runner feels in a single vid w/o playing the build or in this style in general.

Well you have to facetank a lot with DE, such is the nature of channeling skill.

So in the video I died once (could’ve been avoided) but in general despite spec being pimped out for damage with some hard to get Tempest of Frostbite greens the clear speed is mediocre. Big physical hitters like Maiden are problem and a risk, Kuba takes a long time. Ill Omen can aggro one too many mobs which this build cannot* sustain.

Now granted spec is old and might be improved but I don’t see many ways to get much needed physical resist or/and more damage. It’s an all around mediocre archetype with 0 upside of playing it over other cold or channeling builds. In current meta physical resist value in the endgame is at all time high and this build hasn’t got it.

Oh and I ran out of energy with 150 regen/30% absorb (build has a bit of spirit dump too).

Another example where Energy issue can be fixed due to making an actual Spirit Dump :laughing:

curious how you levelled this, because i found vitality swarm+vines being absolutely busted levelling and frequently recommend it because of it

1 Like

how is 30 extra energy gonna “fix” it tho?, not saying it’s not more, but it’s not enough is it?
image
image

:woozy_face:

Yes, it’s gonna fix it because the problem in the video is only at the end of the boss rooms so it’s a close one. This additional Energy regen you get for the whole duration of the boss room. Just like taking some Ectoplasms can help you in MC. You add a bit and it’s suddenly playable.

Btw does anyone know if this Energy Regen counter is correct and if it matches the in-game?

I had some serious issues with hitting trash enemies with it but I was like “I guess it will be fine later when I have some AoE from devos. Or maybe it’s a skill issue since I have little experience with the skill”.

However the single target vs DE is on a completely different level.
Although vs Krieg DE looks relatively fine - fighting Veteran totems before him was somewhat of a struggle I normally don’t have

SSF Stun Jacks vs Krieg Demolitionist, Level 22 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

SSF DE vs Krieg Necromancer, Level 22 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

1 Like

i don’t get it?
yes the problem is at the end: because the drain starts at teh beginning
so you have 30*50 or 1500 extra mana or in this case less than 4secs extra DE cast as a bonus, that’s not a fix?
it’s a help sure, you get 4secs extra, but it doesn’t solve you getting drained, getting drained rapidly, and more so getting extremely more drained than other skills comparative and to dmg output?

I think this would fix it and I am not certain if your reasoning / math reflects the game. I guess we would have to see the gameplay. Still doesn’t change the fact the character is not optimized in this regard and not a good showcase of Energy issue because of it. Like you would actually want builds presented that you can not improve in 2 minutes in this aspect.

Damage output is a one thing, Energy management is another. Don’t mix the two. Other channeling skills also get drained.

30sec regen extra, over 50sec =1500 mana
drain essence takes 379 mana/sec 1500/379 =3.9 seconds

i’m sorry what, ofc we should mix the two
if 1 skill drains 400 mana sec, does 0 dmg, other skill drains 400mana sec and deals 1000 dmg, yes that is def something we can compare

but not to this absurd degree vs dmg output, and that’s a distinction that kinda matters yes

1, you should not super struggle for mana in general, just my opinion
2, you should most definitely not super struggle for mana, and dealing “sub par” or "much less"dmg comparative for it
again, not saying skills have to be 1:1, but there has to still be some sort of reasonable link between investments, outputs and cost etc,
it’s not okay if “all” other skills are are on a 4-10 spectrum, and you have a skill that’s a solid 1. While it doesn’t have to get bumped up to a straight 10, it should atleast get a bit of a bump, if that illustration helps makes sense?
and mana cost vs dps is most definitely one of such “metrics” we have/can use