Drop Rates and Game Balance Discussion

We don’t need more.

What we need is if they ever going on with a GD2, a better engine, and reconfigured item drops.

We have no needs of 5.000 new items, where we already have a slim chance to complete sets, that even more sets are added, with the very same slim chance.

I hope after this expansion, they overhaul grim dawn, and actually optimize things for the better, instead of going super Diablo.

I have played +1400 hours, and still haven’t gotten all item sets or even completed one legendary set. That’s really broken.

And i’m not into the whole RNG with extra low percentage so you need to farm an area to death. Its boring and stupid.

So I really hope that the get them self together after this expansion.

They have been around enough to make a better balance for items and scaling.

1 Like

I agree with this completely.

I wish they had a system to exchange sets/legendaries somehow.

I won’t use any of the cheat addons to get items so I am stuck just praying that if I play enough I will get the drops I want for a build I want to play.

Crate…we need something to exchange items so we can build without the huge loot pool.

Even Diablo has the ability to exchange a set piece for another random piece from the same set.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70306

You mean this?

Whenever we add new items, we increase drop rates proportionally. More items in Ashes/Forgotten Gods will put you no further from your efforts to complete a set.

Grim Dawn has the most generous drop rates in any ARPG I’ve ever played (with the exception maybe of Diablo 3 now since they just GIVE you an endgame set when you hit max level, but does that really count?).

I dare say, we have ourselves “together” pretty well already…

You know…posting this in a thread that links to the features of the expansion is a bit of a head-scratcher, since it seems you didn’t actually read them. :undecided:
http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/about/forgottenGods.php#q01

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70306

“Grim Dawn has the most generous drop rates in any ARPG I’ve ever played”
Agreed +1000
For me drop is GREAT.

In FG you can craft multiple helms of the same set, then reroll the helms into other pieces of the set. EZ PZ.

but 1400 hours? You rolling lots of characters or something? If you spent half half that time in dungeons like SoT you’ll definitely finish more than one set.

And once you finish one set, and make a character for that set, getting the rest of those sets becomes multiple times faster.

I have played Diablo 2 for almost 17 years and just a few months ago I could finally say that I have dropped every item in that game :slight_smile: Tyraels Might.

Congrats!

Still have yet to see one myself. :frowning:

I must say I don’t really agree on it.

If it was well balanced, you wouldn’t have a need to farm a certain area 10, 20 maybe 50 - 100 times to get what ever that is specific for that area.

Just like monster stacking of physique stats. yes you have adressed this for the next update.

But what is really the purpose of 3 different stats if most people almost ignore cunning and spirit?

Yes GD is generous with normal drops up to about level 60. I will agree on that, but after that i feel that the item scaling is non-existant. you can even find something low level (below level 30) that can last for +80 levels.

Sometimes it is really just to much random and all over the place, and it didn’t get that much better with AoM, its awesome with an addition of a trillion items (i rarely use any AoM specific at the moment), but also the monster scaling with AoM is just too weird. Its supposed to be a fluent transition from GD To the AoM? but its not as a player, the scaling is just too weird.

But i would almost bet, that most of the ordinary GD player never completed a legendary set item. And that is really too bad.

Too me it just gets really boring when i’m done with the character as it is (devotions, skill and so on), because I don’t have a need for repeating a certain area to get something specific.

And now with more items added to the “almost unreachable” sets, then i have a hard time grasping what the point is when balancing the game in that way.

What is actually the time requirements or percentage of drop rate to get a hold on a full legendary set?

Is the answer just “RNG” and no more thoughts about that?

Because with my +1400 hours, I would to know, how many sets i should have been able to have in stock.

1 Like

that entirely depends on how you spent your 1400 hours, people have completed all sets in less time than that. Certainly with the new feature of FG it will become easier on top of that

What is an “ordinary GD player” anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have about the same time and I think I have finished most of the mythical legendary sets, think I have around 10 or so legendaries missing (their highest tier versions that is). I have 9 max level chars and I have played almost all of them self found from the start and just put on gear found by other chars when they are done with the main story.

If items had too high drop chance, then die-hard nerd players like myself would not feel its worth playing. I mean there should be something separating chars that +2k hours players have and the casual 100h player has…

1 Like

I don’t know if you play soft or hardcore.

If playing softcore then i can understand people getting top level stuff without problems.

But as hardcore, I have my doubts really. But I can be surprised.

I might be that i just get bored when it goes +80 with a character. and don’t wanna stroll around the game “just because”.

I wanna see how far i can push a build in Hardcore. So run through veteran and elite (al most no legendary anyways in those) and then start completing what ever that is needed to complete on ultimate, but you already done that for the most part. completing GD from veteran to ultimate takes about 12-20 gaming hours. and then you can add on AoM, and then what?

Build proven to complete, next build.

Like I said, i find it really boring to farm what ever area the whole mantra with “rinse and repeat” its have its limitations.

Even now running through GD have lost its appeal, most because the balance is broken (the lower level you complete the game the easier it is in general) and because of the requirement of farming too much for almost nothing.

And yes some people like to have optimum for every level and don’t mind spending +20 or 30 hours just on veteran or what ever to get the needed item (just to realize they get a better one quite quick after that). But not everyone can or won’t invest that amount of time in a game, I for certain won’t.

1 Like

I think that every personal problem with drop rates in GD should be fixed by the player choosing a mod that change drop rates. What’s the problem here? You can change only drop rate in a mod and nothing else, right? If I am mistaken here, please correct me.

Drop rate when too high ruins every ARPG. Even Diablo3 free set to start endgame after reaching max level is bad. Anyway it is everyone’s choice.If somebody wants to have the game boring after a week, he is free to modify/apply mod to get everything as soon as possible.
By the way there is a mod in Grim Dawn where the drop is high enough. It is called Crucible. I love it, a lot of fun to fight a few nemesises at the same time. :wink:

You can collect every unique item within 2 days straight chain farming on the same session in Crucible!

GD drop rates are amazing and i find them just at the right spot.

Also i wouldnt mind there to be some a notch above the rest uniques which you should really put some effort to get (might not be RNG related with 0,00001% drop but more like get 50mil Iron + 300 ancient hears or something) - but they should be isolated cases just for those who would like to do that.

Maybe, but not everyone owns or wants to play Crucible.

1 Like

Yes you are indeed right.

Then why should crate even do patches for balancing in the game if you can have mods right?

Why even do expansions if you have mods?

A game will never get better, if nobody is questioning the way they’re doing it.

Look at D3 it have moved a long way, because of a gaming community. So far that even Crate is trying to get a piece of the pie by trying to implement their own greater rift into the game (besides crucibles).

Drop rate is a matter of very personal taste and if you cant make everyone happy about it, you can give them mods to fix this. It has nothing to do with fixing the game itself.

My personal opinion is that drop in GD is very generous. I always play solo self found characters and find drops in a sweet spot right now.

If gear is to easy to find, the game loose its meaning… At last too me.

If somebody doesent want to spend more time to find gear, he can mod himself better drops. For me is the fairest deal we can get in arpg these days.

As to D3, come on man, I don’t want to even talk about this game anymore.

Take Care! GP.

1 Like

D3 is horrible to play as an arpg.
its really bad.

drop rates needs to be rare, its one of the functions of these games, to collect and upgrade towards a fully fleshed out avatar.
if too easy like D3 it simply ruins the experience.

to some extent, your really forced atm if you want a set to run crucible in GD though. Or engage into trades.
forsaken Gods expansion won’t change much of that.

I have 2k+ hours in GD and still haven’t found a lot of set pieces until I did crucible with a buddy. DK with the easy farming set allows you to build a farming character and then either buy crucible and run it or trade.

You can see people run 200 or more runs for a rare ring in various dungeons and its part of the grinding in these games.

D3 is just Hack n’ slash.

But if you have been gaming +2000 hours, and haven’t found any set pieces in the base game. Do you still find that okay really?

Grinding is in my eyes for free play games, that forces people to almost dedicate their life to find what ever.

Grim dawn isn’t a game that needs to go into a direction like that. and how can it makes sense to do something 200 times, to get something rare? where is the value in that?

But yes, drop rates a great, to get LOADS of gear nobody asked for, like why do we have common gear? does anyone even use that?

Like mentioned before, Crate takes some inspiration from Diablo, and it sometimes feels like that they do it just to do it. Since I started playing GD I have never based a build on any kind of common gear. its just there to have something to drop for what ever purpose.

The whole game is bound upon character level. which can be both good and bad. I would have thought that merchant and such would have greater items higher the difficulty but no. still bound to your character. still same 90% yellow mediocre items. which again leans on the “grind/farmning” mentality.

But like i said before, i just hope after this expansion that arrives, that Crate soon question their way to do things to either do a GD2 or to some better patching.

But we will see, i’m hoping that the stats system soon gets some relevancy in the game. So if someone super stacked physique, with almost no spirit or cunning added, they’re as powerful as a wet biscuit. Because with almost no cunning you shouldn’t have any “combat technique” and therefore shouldn’t be able to have block or hit chance for instance. And same with spirit, with no spirit no chance of succesful magic. So we move beyond the Diablo mentality of super stacking physique and still can do powrful melee and magic.

Bring back the RPG element, and no senseless grinding for the sake of grinding.