Drop Rates and Game Balance Discussion

Perhaps you just suck at the game? Given that you say you play HC, and thus can’t get a high level char to survive long enough to farm?

patches provide bugfixes, new items, etc.

Feeling that the drop rate is too low is a personal opinion and there are plenty of differing opinions about that out there which contradict each other, so the only way for everyone to have the droprate they think is right is to have different ones via mods

The GD drop rate is pretty generous. Your claim of not having found any set item in 2000+ hours of play is utter nonsense. You can complete all sets in less time than that, so if this is indeed true, you must be doing something very wrong with your time (like playing 100 chars to level 40)

Why even do expansions if you have mods?

because people buy them and a dev studio is in a better position to provide a ‘large mod’ than the modders. Also, they can make changes to parts of the game that modders cannot.

A game will never get better, if nobody is questioning the way they’re doing it.

ok, but not every opinion about what to do differently is an improvement either. Last I checked no one told you to not offer your opinion however

Look at D3 it have moved a long way, because of a gaming community. So far that even Crate is trying to get a piece of the pie by trying to implement their own greater rift into the game (besides crucibles).

personally I feel D3 has barely moved, most of what was initially wrong with the game still is. All the stuff that bothers me the most is unchanged, all they did is put more lipstick on their pig…

In any case, Crate created their version of rifts because they are listening to the GD community, so not sure where your idea that they do not is from

1 Like

awesome argument, i must suck, because i find farmning too boring.

great, the intelligence is strong in this one.

If you think you get a complete set (and the one your build wants on top of that) by just playing through the game, I’d say the quote applies to you more accurately.

Complains about drops but refuses to farm… the intelligence is strong in this one…

If you don’t like farming or RNG, why did you pick up this game in the first place? xD

Just adding my two cents, i like the drop rates where there at, i dont even really like crucible because its too easy to get items in IMO. If i had every item in the game i dont know that i would have much incentive to play anymore as what i enjoy is hunting for the next item i need for my current build.

I get that some people dont like farming, but after the story is over and you know the game front to back what else is there? i dont really get into the theroycrafting like others do. I just enjoy other people builds on here, but each one of them is a shopping list for me to start again with.

And I think the “full set” mentality kinda destroys the “creativity” for me, its to easy to just smack on a full set and then call it a build

1 Like

I can’t find a sound argument for repeating something like 200 times, to get one item out of lets say 4.

Maybe you can explain it to me? What is the purpose of repeating something just for the sake of repeating?

It would have made much more sense, that legendary sets had some reasons to get them.

But the whole 200 times to maybe get an items, and then 200 times, to get the same item but you really needed boots or what ever.

Its just lazy game design.

But it could be I have to high demands with games and a need to be stimulated and not go full on Diablo and repeat an action 200 times, to maybe get something better.

GD can be fun, but now going more Diablo, with the greater rift approach and the mantra more for more ! then it loses its appeal, especially when its lacking so much on the RPG level.

But if you find it fun with full on physique stacking and do same thing over and over again. then great! (and people talk about creativity…)

But for me, its way to boring and makes no sense at all.

Well there are people that like to repeat things… otherwise we would not have had anyone with more than 1k hours in GD?

And guaranteeing drops is less lazy game design?

Look kid, there are many people that enjoy Grim Dawn as it is, there are plenty of games that might be more suitable to you so why don’t you play them instead?

You had 1.4k hours in GD, and you don’t like the game? What is wrong with you?

no surprise, no one is making an argument for that, the argument goes a bit more like this:

• item drops are random, unique items have a rarer chance of dropping than common items
  • which specific item will drop is also random
  • so finding one specific item will take some time

but unless it is an item that drops from one boss only, there is no need to do something 200 times to get that item - and the unique drops per boss have a better probability than that

So no one ever has been saying it should take that long, that is just a straw man

Your argument however goes more like this ‘I want a full set and cannot be bothered to farm, so increase the drop rate’.

If the devs really wanted to ensure that you can complete the set your build is after from drops alone, no farming involved, a unique probably has to drop every 3 to 5 minutes. That drop rate is ridiculous.

But if you find it fun with full on physique stacking

that has nothing to do with drop rate, and if you go back, I was amongst those arguing for better Cunning and Spirit rewards pretty much from day one

and do same thing over and over again. then great! (and people talk about creativity…)

But for me, its way to boring and makes no sense at all.

well, then don’t do it, but you then should also accept the consequence that you will not be completing a set because of your decision

You can always cheat to get it or maybe trade. Not sure why you insist on increasing the drop rate to an insane level for everyone to suit your arbitrary decision to handicap your drops

Also to add that if one doesnt want to play Crucible - the best alternative to farm uniques is to farm Lokkar - you can get 1-2 uniques every few minutes if you build specifically char for him.

Or you can farm one of the “rogue like” dungeons - i get on average around 5-6 uniques per run - and you can complete one in 15min or so if you know what you are doing.

Again - plenty of options to get gear. Shattered realm would be even more generous probably since you can continue from where you left if you die (with penalty to timer which should not have radical impact on rewards).

I have 2000 hours on the game i have only complete 4-5 sets ,i believe drop rate is fine as it is the only thing i want is coming on Forgotten Gods (Transmutation). I dont like crucible i bought it only to support Dev but its very rewarding ,if you try it you ll get lots more drops very fast.I still play titan quest i still farm items and for me its my ‘‘drug’’ to keep playing together with the builds variation so i want the same thing for Grim dawn which i enjoy a lot more.If Grim dawn 2 ever been thing which i hope it will ,i will continue to play Grim dawn 1 along with it as i do now with titan quest .

That is a HUGE step in the right direction =)

Hopefully they add a way to also get non set items also, but I don’t want to be greedy LOL.

Your playing the wrong game then, thats what this is and always has been, i never once heard anyone saying they were going to reinvent the ARPG. Honestly, try out some CRPGS like Divinity or Pillars of Eternity, that actually sounds more along the lines of what your asking for where stats matter and uniques are in specific locations.

If you take the farming out of the game then what purpose would there be to keep playing anyways? Finish the story and move on to something else at that point.

Most players don’t play past Normal, so I don’t think it particularly concerns them.

This is just fundamentally untrue.

We playtest the game with characters that use gear dozens of levels lower than the characters with poorly distributed skill points and see if we can clear the story content anyway. That is the baseline, so I would consider such a playstyle to be excessive.

If item scaling is non-existent, why do you need better gear in the first place? Seem like contradictory statements. :eek:

Full sets are nowhere near necessary. But if completing them is your goal, then I suppose that is where farming in ARPGs comes in. I already mentioned the Set Transmutation that’s coming as a bit of bad luck protection.

I believe the Celestial Smiths are what you should be looking for. :wink:

Well try and rush through the game, I think you will be surprised.

Loghorran fx. is weirdly easy if you’re in your 30ties and same with he heroes he spawns, the dmg. is awkwardly low with your character on veteran. (a reason to open up for the option to start on harder difficulties when already played through the game), and that’s with gear you get on the run.

Yes i know the diablofication with the transmution also. I’m aware of that. like Ii already mentioned GD takes a lot of inspiration from D3.

all I seek at this time is things starts to make sense again. like mention before, stats points that make sense to what they represent.

And the idea of that legendary set items are obtainable for players, instead of 10 pieces of the same gear for a set. And is more needed then you need to grind/farm for +200 tries in one area.

And if the playerbase only playes on normal, what is even the reason to have gear on higher levels?

If the wast majority at the gym only benches 50 kg, why do we have bars that can support 350kg? … :stuck_out_tongue: xD

You have the option not to go to higher difficulty. It’s the same game with different stats, different challenge for different tastes. And you can rush through the game easily on all difficulty levels, just bosses take longer and you have to know what to do for ultimate…again…optional

End game can set a baseline for casual players as well. A new player can come on this forum for example and see what a build can do maxed out and enjoy the concept. Also learn about some mechanics that matter more in end game than Veteran but can be used to great advantage there as well. I, like many others here, was one of those players.

I’m sure you know that most games have difficulty setting to satisfy all players.

As for drops. Legendary drops are very high in this game now. It’s just sets that are a bit tricky and even that will be addressed

1 Like

I don’t even know how to respond to this…

Not really…

God forbid we give the community what it’s been asking for.

Because we made a game we ourselves like to play, and we are hardcore gamers.

Frankly, 90% of the balancing we do in patches could be considered a poor use of our time since it doesn’t affect our average consumer, but we care about the state of the endgame and so we put in the effort, a not insignificant portion of which is spent during off-hours, I might add.

2 Likes

Uhm…i mean…mmm…nevermind.