DW Firestrike Purifier: A build diary from Normal to 170 Glad

That is good news, problem solved!

As you pointed out to me in an earlier conversation, AoE is not of any importance in GD, because trash mobs can’t hurt you. I can say from personal experience that leveling with Cadence or Savagery is just fine, only barely slower than Fire Strike+Explosive Strike+Brimstone or Primal Strike characters. In the case of this thread specifically, Purifier has all the AoE goodness from the Fire Strike line plus more stuff from Inquisitor; any speed gain from going to even better AoE will be tiny.

My bad. Should’ve made it clearer - I meant that AoE is king when levelling (i.e. veteran to around the end of elite vanilla).

P.S. I really think you should try levelling with FW at the start. It literally one shots mobs in veteran.

Did an update for AoM vet and Acts1-2 Elite. Btw, anyone here knows up to what level Act 6 veteran scales to? Always finish it early on my previous chars, around level 60.

looks awesome.

i love the way firestrike works with brimstone. I am thinking about getting into this game again is there a good link to a good 2handed ranged firestriker build? I want to start from zero and make a viable end game farmer.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64584

There you go.

Awesome guide, have tons of fun with it. Tho i struggle with surviving a bit in dungeons. Any tips for that, and its normal dif with veteran mode.

What level are you at right now? You’ll generally squishy until the time you get either censure or seal. You can prioritize those if you really feel squishy. Also get haunted steel. Helps a lot in surviving.

Here ya go. Hope this is all you need

If you ask about the relic I use Conflagration atm, and im lvl 53

Edit: Ohhh sorry you are talking about skills, i got censure maxed, and do not have seal. Kinda feels weird to use i tend to walk out of it often by clicking on enemies. .-.

Seal is very important especially on the lower levels. That absorption is most effective when enemies deal low damage. try binding Fire Strike to 1 so you won’t accidentally walk out of seal when attacking enemies. i think you should also uncheck either classic targeting or classic casting in options.

Not trying to toot my own horn or anything because I’m sure it can be done better than me, but here’s how I abuse seal in crucible.

Seal is IMO one of the best defensive skill in the game. Once you add things like fumble and damage reduction to the mix, you become a real tank.

This is because flat damage reduction is applied LAST in the order of defense.

Basically, say you’re smacked for 10k damage. And after it gets filtered through all the defenses you have (armor, resists, damage absorption, damage reduction, etc.) you’re looking at a damage value of 2k.

Assuming 22/12 seal, you have a flat absorption of 445 damage.

That alone is responsible for negating 23% of the damage you would otherwise have taken.

Also, it gives elemental resist (the most common damage type you will get hit with), crit chance, %damage, and flat damage if you take arcane empowerment.

Finally, because the effect of seal lingers for about 1s after you step away from it, you can essentially learn how to kite and resummon them with relative ease. Repositioning does become a nuisance, but for the benefits seal gives you?

Hell. I’d make my toon do the cha-cha if I had to.

EDIT: There is also a button in the game which allows you to attack from a stationary position. I’ve bound this to the alt key, and I basically hold it down with my thumb when I want to shoot things.

2nd EDIT: It’s also worth mentioning:

1. Flat absorption (and %absorption and resists) is the only defense against on-ground effects
  2. Most defenses can get debuffed (e.g. pierce bypasses armor, and resists can get debuffed), but flat absorption is ever reliable.

Thank you kind Sir :smiley: for your effort! Looks really interesting and is a good read. Exactly what a “on and off new Player” like me wants. Will try to play that one myself.
hopefully u dont get bored of that project and finish it :slight_smile: .

looking forward to thet rest and the character progress.

THX again and have a nice day!

Thanks! I’m really having fun with the build too though sometimes it goes to the sidelines cause the theorycrafter in me will always want to try some new endgame concepts which means moving the folders for this save to another place and getting my endgame folders back. No need to worry (atm) about this not getting finished though cause Purifier is one of the easiest to gear chars and I’m far from being bored with this build. Will probably do an update at around level 70 or 75 so I can show a full faction setup.

cause the theorycrafter in me will always want to try some new endgame concepts

You dirtyGDstashingwasteofspace, you.

I have played ARPGs since the dawn of the first Diablo game…

I was talking about everybody saying “you should level up with this and that” “choose this devotion before that one” and so on.

I have made dozens of guides for Diablo II, I have two HC playtroughs on my YT channel etc, and they all include a level up phase, and an endgame phase. I have no intentions of making a guide on GD at this stage since I have only played it like 250 hours. Perhaps USER_NAME_01 could have pulled it off with after 2 hours since he/she thinks this game is “really easy”.

I know that the costs for using the spirit guide increases, but so does your amount of iron bits. What are you gonna do with that 3.000.000 iron bits anyway? It is not like you can gamble items as in Diablo II. Also in Diablo II, you only get three respecs (after beating the den of evil quest in each difficulty) then you have to farm essences from the act bosses to make token of absolution so you have to kinda know what you are doing/aim for.

Let’s say you play build X until level 94, and then respec using the spirit guide to build Y. Also assume that you have not used the spirit guide for skill refunds up to this point. What is the cost of iron bits to refund, say, 80 skill points? And finally, how long time would it get to acquire the amount of iron bits for this process?

Thats really good to hear :).
I have to say i really really enjoy that class and the range proc in ur face thingie. Thanks alot for breaking down the different leveling phases and gear examples. I have/had much fun in playing the purifier. And as iam basically clueless about what devo to take and what skills to level with etc. you sir are godsend for me. I have severel chars in the mid 40s, but always did not now how to proceed from there ( or got bored after i got there cause squishy, low damage etc). I did my first successfull SOT clear now and reached lvl 49 so far. Going into Elite now and i am realy exited, the playstyle feels right for me.

So keeep it up and iam looking forward for ur faction gear set and so on. If i reach that point before you i will ask here again what to do next ;). I hope you dont mind.

last but not least another quick question: As the yellow lighting weapons have basically the same stats, were they drops in AOM? or did u vendor “hunt” them? (if so which one? :wink: )

THANKS AGAIN.
FINALY I HAVE A BLAST playing grim dawn :slight_smile:

cheers

as i got a deviltongue with level 55 i guess i should go with the fire tree and respecc maybe later to ur lightning?

Still love the build.

if someone could get me a rough outline how to progress after lvl 62 tree ( and gear ) that would be really appreciatet. I can goodle myself if i can get some directions. a little bit overwhelming that whole game :wink:

thx in advance

ps.s is there a list with alle the augemnts / components and where to get? i find it really hard to google for it :frowning:

My next update will be for level 70 but I’m really holding it out until I get my char to level 90 cause the setup will be mostly unchanged from 70-90. It’s to ensure that the setup will be viable going to ultimate. I’m 83 right now so it might take a week before I update. I get a lot less playtime in weekdays lately.

Basically, between normal to 70 it’s just grinding for levels. I even ignored any itemization from 60-70 because i wanted to rush and not think about anything. As long as you balance your resists you’ll be fine. 40-60% resistance to all damage types except phys should be ok. Upgrade your other gun (not the deviltongue) every 10th level unless you find another very good one.

You can find all augments/components in grimtools. Components that don’t have a faction at the bottom will just drop anywhere.

Thank you for your answer(s). Will do as u suggested :slight_smile:
Yeah lot less play time is something i experience myself lately. Take ur tim and thx for the update!

:):):slight_smile:

Just wanted to update my progress so far and letting you that i still follow your “build”.

let me thank you again for your project.
I have a fucking blast with that game. hit 75 now with max resi etc. Will finish a6 elite and start ultimate for my first time. Augments and components a really nice :D:D. Never realised that i guess.

did take Chariot of the Dead after torch. And have basically 7 Points left. We will se what you take :wink:

Purifier is really really nice. I can “tank” and “leech” so much. Died so often with my “previous build”.

Really nice “walkthrough” so far and thx again for ur efford.

have a nice weekend,

cheers