[1.1.9.0] Beginner's Forgotten Blademaster

Yeah, I’m aware of this issue. Once transition happens you’re losing AoE briefly so you’ll begin taking more time to kill things in the crowds and also taking more damage as a result. Unpleasant but not much of a problem if defenses are adequate, but devastating otherwise.

You can:

• Adjust a build so that it included Ring of Steel again, but don’t take the transmuter.
  • Look into ways of improving your defenses

Can tell more but that would require GT link of your character.

Know that the build isn’t supposed to have much AoE even by the end of the day (even though things certainly improve compared to level 35!). It is mostly a single target DPS machine, you ain’t chasing every white mob when playing that. Kill heroes & annoying stuff and move on.

IGNORE THIS. I WAS WRONG.

Taking a closer look at this build, now that I have more knowledge of game mechanics, I think you’ve made a mistake by taking both Assassin’s Mark (devotion proc) and Night’s Chill (mastery skill). They both give -% Pierce Resist to whatever you’re attacking, which means they don’t stack (see here for why). In short, when two sources both give “-n% X Resistance”, the game picks the better one and discards the other. So since Night’s Child 10/10 is better than Assassin’s Mark 20/20 by 2%, the game applies only Night’s Chill.

So that means if you want to improve your Pierce resist nerfing potential, you need to use “n Reduced Target’s X Resistance” in place of either Assassin’s Mark or Night’s Chill, which for a Pierce Blademaster is limited to the Manticore devotion (Break Morale only reduces Physical resist). Still, 15/15 Acid Spray is 25 Reduced Target’s Resistances, which is killer, since it stacks additively with Night’s Chill. That’s -55% Pierce Resist, which will utterly ruin your enemy’s day. And yes, you can take their resists into the negative. :slight_smile:

Though getting the prereqs for Manticore can be a bit rough, and several of its nodes give worthless buffs. But that’s a 25% or more total damage boost (enemies with high base pierce resist suffer more from -25% resist than those with low resist), which makes me think it’s probably worth that cost.

-n% stacks

read your document again…

btw revenant also has flat (category A) resistance removal, which was choice in the build.

one point break morale in this build I think was choosen for skill disrupt that can be nice to like prevent healers etc

D’oh! Now I do feel the fool. :sweat:

And wow, someone’s gonna need to update that spreadsheet to mention Revenant. That’s super relevant, and the resist reduction is not mentioned on either of the wikis I use, either.

I wonder who’s even in charge of that spreadsheet…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware of this issue. Once transition happens you’re losing AoE briefly so you’ll begin taking more time to kill things in the crowds and also taking more damage as a result. Unpleasant but not much of a problem if defenses are adequate, but devastating otherwise.
You can:
Adjust a build so that it included Ring of Steel again, but don’t take the transmuter.
Look into ways of improving your defenses
Can tell more but that would require GT link of your character.
Know that the build isn’t supposed to have much AoE even by the end of the day (even though things certainly improve compared to level 35!). It is mostly a single target DPS machine, you ain’t chasing every white mob when playing that. Kill heroes & annoying stuff and move on.

Thanks for the explanation, guess I should start ignoring white mobs then :smiley:
Also, is this gear like the end gear? no legendary gear is a viable upgrade? Or some sets or something?

For starters I’d review your defenses if I were you, since situation when you can’t survive a crowd of white mobs is definitely abnormal. Esp. check your armor and armor absorption.

Ofcourse not!

This is a direct upgrade:

There’s plenty of other high end blademaster builds here

My build was meant only as a stepping stone and is in no way intended to compete with full slotted build with legendary gear.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah i mean, since im new, I only have to use whatever I can loot, dont have tons of gear to pick from, So I’ll pay closer attention to more defensive stats from now on I guess.

Great to hear that there are still upgrades for the build to be made :smiley:

And this is my GT, im playing veteran ofc.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZP1MGXN

2020-11-02_21-53-24

That’s not even bringing up that your gear is about 10 levels behind your character level when it comes to armor rating, to the point that your highest armor piece is boots somehow due to the virtue of being a level 30 blue.

So yeah, no wonder you’re getting rekt. As I suspected you’ve been living off crowd control till now.

Cheeky. :rofl:

1 Like

Happy that I gave you a laugh :stuck_out_tongue: That was the point of my GT I guess :smiley:
And yeah, since this is my first playthrough ever on the game, i have no other choice :stuck_out_tongue: And if i have an item that is 10 levels behind, What can I do other than praying to RNG gods to drop me a higher level thing? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not laughing at your GT, just feeling weary. Sometimes I wonder if there’s any point in bloating up the guide with various tips if people ignore them anyway.

I erase stash and blueprints for every new character of mine (this blademaster wasn’t an exception), so I don’t really get that argument about being new = playing poverty mode. Your stuff is just below what I’d expect from a level 35 character of mine played from scratch, that is all.

As for what you can do - since you’ve already hit 35 you can go visit Devil’s Crossing quartermaster and buy yourself a better armor. While at it also visit the Blacksmith and craft components you were supposed to 15 levels ago.

1 Like

I’m not laughing at your GT, just feeling weary. Sometimes I wonder if there’s any point in bloating up the guide with various tips if people ignore them anyway.

Youre completely right, I kinda ignored the components on the way, since i was changing the gear so often, and playing the stunlock (before 35 switch) was a breeze, so i didn’t pay attention to that.
So really sorry for that. Mea culpa.

I erase stash and blueprints for every new character of mine (this blademaster wasn’t an exception), so I don’t really get that argument about being new = playing poverty mode. Your stuff is just below what I’d expect from a level 35 character of mine played from scratch, that is all.

As for what you can do - since you’ve already hit 35 you can go visit Devil’s Crossing quartermaster and buy yourself a better armor. While at it also visit the Blacksmith and craft components you were supposed to 15 levels ago.

Started doing very that, already noticing the difference in stats massively. And i had no idea the components alone will put me very near the res caps (at least for veteran :P)
and HOLY SHIT, the difference is so huge!!! I totaly underestimated the components/keeping the gear on par with level.

Thank you so much for the help! Very much appreciated, from now on, should be much easier :smiley:

2 Likes

I decided to revisit my old blademaster a few days ago. Im currently running the belgothian set up posted by Superfluff (or as close to it as i can, im missing some jewelry). I was wondering how people feel it compares to running a cadence + deathmarked set up? I could swap over to that now, but I dont know if it would be worth burning all of my ugdenbloom just to be dissapointed.

The only one who could possibly answer that here is @banana_peel.

Belgo is pierce, Deathmarked is cold, so there is slight difference in gameplay, different constellations (procs) and cold has dots. Switching between the two would require some investments.

Both are good but overall Belgo is ever so slightly stronger and more consistent.

Since this is the more active thread, would JoV’s physical BM build even compete with a stacked out Belgothian?

This is the build: [1.0.4.1]Defiance of DW BMs - How to do it all, Ravager and no buffs and banners gladiator 170

I was going to play around with it this afternoon on GT to see if I can give it some updates for FG. But my original question stands.

It’s a very out of date build, and I haven’t seen anyone trying to properly revive it. If you’re very lucky it wouldn’t be much worse than mad lee’s similarly built DK, but I won’t be betting money on that.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRPoy42

Starting Elite on SC so no real issues there, but there are couple of questions…
So how does having the same skill, in my case RoS, in multiple slots effect it?
Also where should I, roughly, be with OA/DA/armour at this point?

Also movement speed & AoE item skills are mandatory (for me, that is), though I do my best to avoid trash you kinda get stuck at certain places so havin some AoE is really nice, but that´s just for my playstyle, ymmv.

The ring of steel procs on the chest and boot are counted as individual skills and each time you perform anything that count as an attack, they each have a chance to proc.

Way below the numbers you currently have, so good job I’d say!
Soldier builds have it easier, but for everything else it’s the numbers of a level 65-70 character.

It gets better once you have WPS (especially Whirling Death) and Azrakaa’s proc, but it’ll never be caster level of AoE.

Hey Dragon, a number of your links are broken. Specifically the one that talks about dual blades interactions and WPS setup to “learn more” (in how this build works section) as well as a few of your grimtools links. Your link to your level 50 blademaster doesn’t have its points on grimtools allocated.

Any chance you might have some time? The former is the most important to me, I really dont understand the dual wield mechanics, would love to learn more about them.