DW Pierce Melee Valdun Tactician

So, after tinkering with equipment, I think this will be enough:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZP4j9KZ

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkBaRQZ - For Shield users.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZP41GBZ - For 2H Range Cadence users.

DW Pierce Melee Valdun Tactician.

Pros:

-70% Pierce RR
-Excellent sustain via procs, Inquisitor skills and Life Steal
-Monstrous raw pierce damage with 100% conversion

Cons:

-Extremely expensive

For the most time, I simply went with the best stuff to see how high I can get that damage going without sacrificing too much survivability. I’m pretty sure you can do even more.

EDIT: Juggled with Stats and Components - Increased OA, Increased Armor, gained so much needed 15% Reflected Damage
Reduction.
EDIT 2: Added Shield Version.
EDIT 3: Improved mobility for Shield Build via Blitz and Shield Damage.
EDIT 4: Added 2H Range Version.

fun build against reflection hero’s :smiley:

I know it and I even saw it on a stream from Residentceno

Yeah, I owe it to him for the idea. I altered it to increase my chances of survival, while still increasing the damage. Valdun, of course, is the main dish here, sooooo tasty.

Saw how he died against Reflector. Maybe I can somehow squeeze that Titan Plating on Helm… Life Steal should help too, especially with Ghoul proccing.

EDIT: Yup, actually did it. That should make the hard time against Reflectors a bit easier. This is what I consider PEAK MALE PERFOMANCE IN GRIM DAWN.

Added Shield version.

Had to use Warborn in order to compensate for the loss of skill points from the second Reaver’s Claw. Damage is still good.

This time was able to use BSoD as a primal Resistance Reduction piece. That + inherent Pierce RR should be enough even for shield users to feel comfortable with damage.

Upped Health Regen a lot, this will help further in survivability.

this build (and your other tactician builds) look really good - but very inaccessible to new players (or even semi-new) - any chance you can adapt this build (or the elemental forcewave one) to lower gear requirments?

obviosly it wont have that much damage - but it’s something to start with.

oh - and im sure iam missing it somehow - but are you converting physical damage to piercing or just using the flat piercing you get on various gear and skills?

It pretty much the same issue that POE is going through with the pathofbuilding tool.
People were able to tinker insane builds but totally unrealistic outside of having all your items BiS…

Yes, of course I can. I’m currently leveling my Tactician and gonna be playing with friends on this weekend too. While I’m leveling, I’ll write down some notes about what to level first and your equipment choices.

One thing I can definitely say now - up until at least level 50 you will use Forcewave or Blade Arc for faster leveling. Then you will be able to find better epic and legendary pieces for your needs. You will also be able to buy good Armor Piercing equipment from secret merchant in Blood Grove.

And yes, I’m converting my physical damage to pierce thanks to Reaver’s Claw and Valdun pieces… which stack with flat and percentage piercing damage I have on my equipment too. That’s the beauty of this build - the amount of pure piercing damage is ludicrous.

Wouldn’t say unrealistic… just hard to get. It’s the main reason I will disagree with the nerf, if it’s coming. To actually get these stats, you need to work your ass of. In a single player game, no less.

EDIT - Mobility to Shield build added.

Not yet. It will most certainly appear tomorrow, when I finish polishing it. For all it matters, it’s practically the same as this one but with guns.

To be proficient with range Cadence, you need to invest in Fighting Form for the chance to pass through enemies.
But I actually would just suggest to start with Forcewave and hack your way through to higher levels, until you will be able to respec to range build.

Devotions, skills - everything will come later, since I’m leveling Tactician right now.

Totally agree. I’ve always been against nerfing skills/equips just because they are OP on one particular build because the creator found the perfect combo.

All it ends up doing is making the skills/equips in question less powerful for every other build, even though they weren’t OP in those builds. It just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I can understand needing to take those measures in an online game to some degree, but not in a single player game.

If someone wants to build the ultimate faceroll character and make the game super easy, congrats to them and anyone else who enjoys that sort of thing. I just wish it didn’t carry such a high price for everyone else who is just playing the game without meta-builds in mind, and enjoys trying out unorthodox, yet viable, builds.

/rant :smiley:

You’ll still blow up to reflect. Your build is worse than mine in that regard. Do yourself a favor and lose Zolhan’s.

I’m growing more and more impressed with Mythical Quickdraw Gloves. Haven’t decided if they’re better than Grasp of Unchained Might, though. Kind of a shame the Mythical version lost the proc for its shitty skillmods.

Yes, sir.

Well, so far I see that Unchained Might give a bunch of skillmods, as you said and 15% increase Attack Speed, while Quickdraw gives even more Attack Speed AND Pierce damage, both flat and percentage. Vitality and Bleeding resistance is a very nice bonus to it. So, the choice was kinda obvious for me. And I don’t want to down my DA any lower, or else I’ll feel to risky to use it.

Shield version is pretty much what I’m building at the moment. The major difference is I plan to get Aura of Conviction istead of Oleron’s rage.

Your devotion setup looks very strange, as if you planned to get Oleron + US but then went for more ADCtH. If you ditch Empty Throne you could get Chariot instead of Behemoth. Not sure if I’ll have Assasin in the end, since it’s a shield build I’d want to stack shield recovery up to 100% with OG, and for this I would probably need shieldmaiden constellation. :undecided:

Also, for a build that is already quite well protected I personally would throw more points into cunning.

Overall I think there’s much to optimize in your shield version.

I see no reason to take Aura of Conviction, considering how little bonus it provides to me in comparison to Oleron’s Rage, with all those extra points. I get more Pierce damage and I get good OA, which is actually more AoC can give me. The only thing it can give me is physical resistance… which I already have.

I never planned to get Oleron. Yes, more ADCtH, more physical resistance. I certainly can… which will completely fuck up my Aether resistance and also lower Health Regen by a significant margin. All this for a measly increase in OA and DA… which I already have at high enough levels. Assasin means more pierce damage, though in this case I agree with you, it’s debatable.

Nope, no cunning. More HP, more defence! I have enough cunning for my weapon and for OA to be over 3k.

Strangely enough after all of the above - I agree.

And now this build has been nerfed to the ground lol.

How badly is this build nerfed? Still viable?

When it comes to nerfs, people tend to EXAGGERATE.

Most of these hit ranged cadence more than melee.

Of course it’s viable, it was just dealing insane damage. The nerf was justified.

Do you think this build could be gladiator viable?

I love how people like talking shit, without backing it up or researching the data. Both Dragon and Norzan are absolutely correct. The build was insane, because Valdun Set is just too good and gave a lot of pierce damage. As a result, the final damage was reaching cosmic levels through Cadence, amplifying it.

Just tested it in Ultimate with some minor Bosses, by the way, like Krieg, Cronley, Karroz - it’s completely viable, still goes through content with relative ease. Of course, I have to to test it agaisnt Nemeses later, but I think it will be fine.

And yes, Ranged was nerfed way harder. Reducing scaling on Ranged Expertise was a pretty good cut to it’s damage. 2H Pierce Cadence was even stronger and needed to be toned down.

Unfortunately, I don’t have Crucible right now, so I can’t answer your question.