Ex-Irrational environment director joins Crate!

We’re pleased to announce Scott Duquette has joined the Crate Entertainment team. Scott previously served as environmental art director at Irrational Games on both Bioshock Infinite expansions. When Irrational was closed, Scott stayed on with former studio head Ken Levine, as part of a small team working on his new project at Take 2 Interactive.

However, like strangers offering candy from the door of a windowless van, former 38 colleagues working at Crate lured him in with talk of Grim Dawn devotions and the promise of future projects.

Now shackled together with the other artists in the art pit, Scott has been helping us put the finishing touches on Grim Dawn. His roving commission has him surveying our environments; looking for opportunities to punch things up, improve the lackluster and add in unique details to infuse the world with greater sense of place.

When he’s not cranking out sweet environment art for Grim Dawn, we can see from his Steam account that Scott spends the rest of his time playing Grim Dawn. He’s racked up over 250 hours in the last couple months and probably has more experience with the new devotion system than anyone on the team. His feedback on said system has been valuable and it’s great to have another team member who is not just a talented developer but also a passionate gamer who loves to play the games we make.

Scott actually started a couple months back and has been quietly working away in the shadows, biding his time. Very soon you’ll get to see a lot of his new additions and refinements in the upcoming Build 28, which will feature the first portion of Act 4 and should release sometime this week. He goes by “Sandcaster” on the forum and I’m sure he’d be happy to answer some questions if you guys have any.

Here’s a sneak peak at some of his work - can you spot the changes?

Wow, that’s great! So he’s responsible for all the nice new touches? Welcome to Crate, Scott :slight_smile:

Little touches that add a whole lot of character. I love it!

Welcome to Crate, Scott! Glad to have you with `em!

Your level of detail is amazing. :open_mouth:

Edit: Ahhh, so you’re the Sandcaster that I’ve seen on the forums that is doing some next-level lurking. Everything is illuminated, now.

Nice looking art. Welcome Scott!

And a varification that B28 will be out sometime this week.

whatt…thats awesome props!

just a being a bit nitpicky, the font have been strikingly nice with wildwest setting but i’m not sure it suit GD’s. not fan lol

I read in Crate website that you have already someone from Irrational. Who is it?

btw, welcome to the team Scotts!

Welcome Scott, aka Sandcaster! Nice work so far, and am looking forward to more of your work!

P.S. We need a coffee shop in Grim Dawn! :slight_smile:

Actually, it looks pretty damn awesome in-game. The signs are my favorites :slight_smile:

Very cool. Haha, he got hooked like the rest of us! Well with how GD is shaping up, and future projects in mind, it makes perfect sense.

Welcome on board Sandcaster!

No doubt its awesome :). Just that im thinking other font that more suit with victorian setting. But im sure they have been tinkering with many options before settled down with final choice! :smiley:

Welcome to the team! Crates army grows ever stronger.

Awesome news))) and welcome to Crate:p

How many people u are now on the team))?

hey everybody! excited to be here and have the chance to work on this ass-kicking game.

love reading feedback and responses from you guys - keep it coming, I’ll be listening. and I’m always up for answering any artsy questions you might have! :smiley:

Don’t remove the turtle, man! (picture 5) :smiley:

10 now, including myself. :slight_smile:

Welcome Scott,

And thanks, I love small touches…:wink:

I was wondering who sandcaster was in the online list.
The new art look so great bringing even more details into Grim Dawn. A very welcome sight to see.

Nine your always the first with a reply, get some sleep :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Scott! Excellent work so far!

Grim Dawn is like a fine wine – it just gets better with time. :cool:

Ah, we finally meet the mysterious sandcaster!

Though from what I see, his name was poorly chosen; he opens our eyes instead of blinding us.:slight_smile:

Very nice touches, I very much like the metalwork and all those commercial signs. Also, this gate seems it has received some boss damage…

I sense a mighty art lineup stirring in the pit though, boss. I wonder if someday they’ll revolt and flood the upper levels with awesomeness!:smiley:

Welcome Scott and enjoy your stay!