Farthest Frontier v0.9.4

Table of Contents
Major New Features
Art
Tech
Game

v0.9.4

[Major New Features]

• Shelters can now upgrade to tier 5 Mansions. These grand living spaces are the ultimate display of wealth and prosperity for your citizens.
  • Bakeries can now be upgraded to tier 2, enabling the production of luxury Pastries. Pastries are one of the luxury options for upgrading shelters to Tier 5.
  • Manual Upgrades are now available for Shelters. By disabling automatic upgrades in the top right of the HUD, you can now control exactly which of your shelters upgrade and when. Household stock upgrade requirements are now less sensitive and forgiving to accommodate this.
  • Military units can now be placed in advanced formations. Hold Ctrl + Right-click when commanding units to preview facing and position, and use the mouse wheel to dictate the formation spacing.
  • Military controls have been updated: Rally Stance has been replaced by Retreat to Barracks, which forces the units to return to garrison and ignore any threats. Instead, manually commanding your troops to a location will have them remain there indefinitely, just like in an RTS. This behavior effectively replaces Rally Stance.
  • The latest batch of optimization improvements includes an up to 25% framerate boost for most users. These gains will vary based on your hardware configuration, map size, and settlement.
  • Military companies and raiders now display their company colors with bannermen.
  • Jumping to raiders through a notification now highlights the attacking raiders.

Back to Table of Contents

[Art]

• Gates now open in the direction they are placed, rather than always facing a fixed direction regardless of rotation.
  • Fixed an issue where villagers at the Potter Building would work at invisible work stations.
  • Fixed an issue with missing snow textures on Stables and Chicken Coops.

[Tech]

• Fixed an issue where wolves could attack raider buildings with impunity.
  • Fixed an issue where toggling Display Dynamic Keybinds setting would reset.
  • Fixed a visual issue in settings where some of them would appear reset but are in fact not.
  • Fixed an issue where transferring soldiers would result in duplicate military upkeep costs.
  • Fixed an issue where villager highlights would sometimes be missing bodyparts.
  • Fixed an issue where Traders would grab items from Markets before storage buildings. Markets can still be accessed, but storage is now correctly prioritized.
  • Fixed an issue where infantry would sometimes use pikeman animations.
  • Fixed an issue where upgrading, relocating, or rebuilding a building would cause the “Building Needs Additional Workers” notification to trigger.
  • Left and Right mouse buttons can no longer accidentally be rebound.
  • Fixed an issue where Dynamic Keybinds would incorrectly disappear.
  • Fixed an issue where disbanding a military company would leave its banner on the HUD, or duplicate another company’s banner.

[Game]

• Population growth from immigration and births has been dramatically increased at high population. The bonuses from house vacancies and bountiful food supplies have also been increased.
  • Increased bonuses to Births, Immigration, and Combat from Happiness.
  • Foresters now plant trees in a reduced density. The previous density was so thick it made it difficult to tell individual trees apart and resulted in far more trees getting planted than foresters would ever need to cut down for production.
  • Default keybind for Dropped Item Widgets has been updated to the Tilde key and can not be rebound in the game settings.

[Buildings]

• Increased Desirability requirements for Shelter upgrades. This change is NOT retroactive for existing shelters and only affects newly constructed/upgraded shelters but the Shelter window does reflect the new values.
  • Slightly reduced the desirability radius of various small to medium size decorations and entertainment buildings. Overall, desirability radii are still considerably higher than v0.9.2.
  • Arborist Building can now have its production toggled on/off like other buildings.
  • Grazing areas are now displayed when placing fences.
  • Wall placement now ignores terrain flatness.

[Combat]

• Reduced damage and health of Lancers.

9 Likes

Now I guess we really need Tier 2 rat catcher, as the current shack is very ugly when compared with the grand Tier 5 houses… and we can’t avoid to have rat cathers inside the town… please, make a brick version of it.

And maybe, please, replace also the terrible bread icon with something which feels a real bread to the remaining 95% of the people of the world. Seeing this toast-like thing in a medieval-ish game looks terrible. :blush:

5 Likes

Much excite. It might finally be time to aim for a 3k town.

1 Like

I did not know that was an option!
This is wonderful news, because I had gotten quite practiced at flattening terrain, placing wall sites, and then re-sloping it for situations where I’m trying to transition from a wall to a cliff along the same axis, and it was a pain.

1 Like

I just spend half a hour flattening train in various ways just to be able to place one palisade wall piece, should have waited a day instead :rofl:

2 Likes

still having the problem with forester camps running out of trees, even with high tree fertility

3 Likes

25% framerate boost, i can tell while looking at an old city great work on 9.4

When will we build walls and bridges like the one on the right? Otherwise, it is deceiving consumers. In addition, when the game opens the homepage animation, how to build a circular city wall?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Water based play is complicated with Crate’s set up. They did experiment with it, but decided to shelve it for the time being. They may have another look at it later after full release of the game.

Circular walls are unlikely. That’s just an artist’s impression.

2 Likes

Just add a circular material wall and a wall destruction material model, and then add a curved wall model. This is just poor technique and has nothing to do with the artist’s dream! Or are you lazy? Or the open source code allows MOD to modify materials or add materials!

1 Like

The forum background isn’t Farthest Frontier…

2 Likes

Really miss the ability to build bridges. Please add them.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Water based play is complicated in Crate’s set up; they experimented with it during development, but decided to shelve it for the time being. They may have another look at it after full release of the game.

Super rad.

Can we get something faster than 3x speed?

I would like to suggest that the compost bin should also be renovated or have the option of a possible Lv2, as one employee simply cannot collect, stir and fertilize without counting the composting time.

Started playing again for v0.9.4 after taking a break for a little while, and I really, really love some of the changes (especially manual house upgrades, finally! Thank you!).

However, I upgraded my PC recently and I feel I should be seeing much better performance than I am, especially with the optimization passes.

I have a 7800X3D, which is one of the best CPUs out there, paired with 64GB of 6400MHz RAM. It should be no slouch for a game with what I imagine is more CPU dependent.

I have a 2080Ti for my GPU, which is admittedly old, but it’s only getting about 50% usage and I don’t have to crank up my fan speed due to its low usage (I’m usually at 90% fan speed in every other game, but only 75% in this one due to lower temps/usage).

My town has a population of only 367 right now, and I’m playing on a small map. I’m getting only about 30FPS, with drops to 15-20 and no higher than 50. I’m playing at 3440x1440p resolution. Game installed on a 980 NVMe drive. Win10 Pro 22H2. I tried lowering my settings as low as I could and the FPS didn’t change at all.

Surely this isn’t correct, right? Am I an outlier? Is there something else I can try? I almost exclusively play builders and RTS games and I saw HUGE performance gains on all of those when I upgraded my CPU, and I don’t really ever even get below 60FPS on those unless it’s a 6 hour MP session with tons of units and AI opponents.

This is probably why you have low gpu usage :sweat_smile:

As a test you could turn down the graphics settings and the resolution to see if it gets any better. If it does the bottleneck will be the gpu. If not, it’s probably the cpu.

You might also get unlucky with vsync on, with it just not making the 60fps and having to wait for the next frame/vsync, putting you at 30fps. So you could try turning that off, see if that helps.

These might not be the solution, but it will at least help identify what’s likely going on.

I tried lowering my settings as low as I could and the FPS didn’t change at all.

Thank you for your reply. I even reduced the resolution and supersampling as low as possible. I am also playing without V-Sync.

Does it help?

No it’s exactly the same, which is strange. Lowest settings vs maxed out, no change.