[Feedback] Aether and Druid parts of Veilkeeper set are absolute garbage

I made several builds in grim tools with the new set, I just had white items and used the screen shots zantai posted and a pocket calculator

1 Like

Don’t know what answer I’m looking for. Mostly just annoyed because I really want to try out this set but can’t do anything without grimtools. Specially something involving a weird skill like Upheaval that would benefit from having nearly 4k OA.

added GT to the OP

I beleive you should just use some scripts and 6x aggressive of attack and you’ll be fine (probably)

On the note of the set: I tested ritualist, it’s more or less viable, but Idk who the fuck would farm ultimate SR for the aether set that isn’t even half as good as others aether sets

1 Like

Because where else do you farm items? :thinking:

Take out a loan from Gunther-David’s Stash.

1 Like

You guys are making builds with GT? Amateurs! :smile:

I don’t do that, all my characters are directly made with GD stashed.

Speaking of amateurs, aether Druid can be considered as amateur hunter. Need more practice… or change their hobby.

1 Like

GD stash is the actual game!

1 Like

Gonna echo Val here, for druid I’m either going to stick pure lightning, or maybe lightning/aether hybrid. I’d imagine that pure aether setup is going to feel like my aether battlemage attempts, e.g. not end game quality, but perfectly playable in campaign and lower shards.

Not to say I wouldn’t enjoy running a pure aether druid. The aether wind devil offhand if not exactly a popular choice right now, so I don’t think adding some RR somewhere would break shit. With my first GT doodle I’m not seeing the stat concerns with Ritualist, which should give stronger aether focus options.

1 Like

This should have been part of the pre-bitching thread, but regardless, it has to be said. If there’s going to be a set revolving around 2-handed WPS, then there needs to be a good default attack that makes those WPS shine. Here’s what I’m seeing with my theorycrafting:

• Savagery - Lightning Savagery is really hard to get to 24/16 without breaking the set. Yeah, there’s plenty of head / chest / shoulder items that support Lightning Savagery, but you can’t use any of them if you’re planning on taking the most advantage of the set. All the rings that boost Savagery convert away from Lightning, not support it. And forget about supporting Aether Savagery.

• Cadence - Aether Cadence sounds really cool, but Krieg’s Set does it better: It gives more points to Soldier, has a flat RR skill for completing the set, and doesn’t block the medal slot so you can use the Aether Cadence medal which just had a greatly buffed proc. Speaking of Krieg’s Set:

• Why are there no good Lightning or Aether gloves that have Attack Speed and support melee auto-attacks? There’s gloves for Aether Eye of Reckoning, and there’s Light’s Defender which has nothing to do with auto-attacks, and a good number of Elemental attack gloves support ranged or Oathkeeper, but nothing for Shaman or Soldiers. Hence Krieg’s gloves end up getting used anyway, and by that point you may as well use the full set. It’s not like Krieg’s is any harder to target farm than the SR set.

• Theodin Marcell? Veilkeeper’s blocks the medal slot, which means you’re going Reaper, and Reaper has plenty of good Aether builds that have nothing to do with Veilkeeper set. 2 or 3-pc to take good advantage of the Cold to Aether conversion, maybe, but that’s the best I can say about that.

• Stuff like Righteous Fervor is better supported by Bonemonger’s, as it supports the Oathkeeper skills to a T. Which covers just about all the default attacks you would use to make the most of the WPS skills.

• Hilariously, there’s a whole lot of items that support Brute Force for 2H Physical Shamans, but very little for Lightning Shamans (There’s the Thundertouch Gloves, but that supports Primal Strike, not Savagery). I already mentioned in the previous thread that the set could have used some interesting skill bonuses that couldn’t be found much elsewhere. Points to Brute Force, which you have to take to get Upheaval anyway. Modifiers like “%Aether damage to Mogdrogen’s Pact” and maybe a few bonus points as the skill also provides Health Regen? It would have been a great way to buff the Shaman side of it without boosting Spellbinders.

It’s a shame, because there are a lot of neat things about the set, but the supporting gear to have it shine just isn’t there,

2 Likes

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN4gpvQZ
I like it , shit goes splat… Most folks would probably want to remove korvaak for ghoul though but this does mid 4’s as is

2 Likes

Nice, looks better than the classic Stormreaver. This not better https://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVl4eQlV ?

1 Like

It very well could be , I also was going to try hardcapping arcane will. TBH I didnt try much besides what I linked because druid is probably top 3 of my favorites and Im pretty bored with druid LOL
If you dont mind though Ill save this GT

Hmm… rank 10-20 it’s 160% dmg for 10:6 uptime its like about 10% dmg per point. Okay economically, especially topped with da but nothing special.

I’d cap that Elemental Balance tho. Your got your global crit dmg and that’s it. No built in crit dmg to anything. And with that oa, crit dmg should shine. And build has shitload electrocute, that % dmg isn’t wasted.

But ofc its just theory lol

1 Like

well damnit now I feel like playing it … Fine lmao

1 Like

Reading all that Druid rant made me think how cool it would be if in GD 2 every class combo had a couple of exclusive skills available only to that specific combo. Like Battlemage would receive a skill that has -% elemental and/or -% physical RR.

Write that down someone and show it to Zantai when he’ll be asking some feedback on GD 2 features. In case I forget or die or something.

To me that seems less interesting than what we have currently in Grim Dawn (that is having sometimes to build without an exclusive, finding other ways compensate) :wink: Unless they are really creative / change mechanics, not just RR.

That was just an example. And actually I meant an additional mini-skilltree that unlocks once you pick both of your masteries. This way there won’t be an absolute “best skill” like Censure for elemental Inquisitor builds (seems like I’m the only one who uses Stormcaller’s over it, lol).

Also it will be a “buff” for otherwise unsupported damage types/skills for that mastery. Like Vitality PRM has zero support gear-wise and Arcanist provides no % vitality damage, let alone RR.

Alright, first giggle test:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V00ky9V

Split aether lightning damage Ritualist, focusing fully on upheaval to start. One death SR75-76 to a rough debuff pack despite hp and ele resist mutators. Pretty good kill speed. Will bribe @Crittrain to give it a shot in crucible even though he hates wendigo totem there

edit: few more runs, tried adding other WPS in. definitely a trap at this effective OA for SR75-76, they tank your damage. You want max upheaval chance. Will test +savagery kaisan necklace for last charge but it’s easily my least favorite MI to cheese into a build

I tested lightning version with Druid and Temporal Archblade.

Initialy i wanted to make a green lightning hybrid, but, dropped the idea due to lack of support. Set look cool, but the skill bonuses and conversion`s are schizophrenic . Upheaveal is all in or nothing skill, the last thing you want is to delude it with other WPS. Yet, the set support Reaping strike and add a bit of flat lighning to Spectral binding ? :wink: Arcane will obsession is also strange, just why? We have Alagast filled with arcane will alredy =) .
Would be cool if the set focused on aetherlightning Devastation , even better if it could support it with 2H weapon with https://www.grimtools.com/db/itemsets/40 arcane storm blue set, to make green lightning Chton dream come true )