[Feedback] Difficulty buffs made endgame disproportinally hard for melee builds

Well, pretty much the title. Quite a few melee builds that I have tested in new Crucible became inconsistent. Reason is recently buffed vanilla monsters: kill timers are much longer now and melee builds get exposed for a longer period of times meaning more debuffs adding up and slowing down/exposing your character even further. I have noticed it with quite a few builds, most recent example is this Sabouter. It used to be a very consistent Crucible farmer - 7 minute-ish build. In-game DA is 2920. Now despite all kinds of defenses this Sabo has and Shattered set and instant mines it just dies on tougher waves.

This whole nerf vendetta against top builds lead to mid-tier builds becoming very unreliable. And melee builds are the ones who suffer the most unless they are some godly Deathmarked Infiltrators. Even trusty Belgothian BM with War Cry that used to never die started dying.

I felt it on a strong caster builds but to a lesser extent since top casters are much less vulnerable in endgame.

I really donā€™t know what to suggest, I warned that buffing Crucible as a part of a Crusade against a handful of god-tier builds was a bad idea. Because god-tier builds like Demonslayer Dervish or PRM Mage Hunter still handle it with relative ease, but all mid-tier builds really took a hit.

10 Likes

Iā€™m not a big fan of the direction crate has taken regarding ā€˜balancingā€™ of builds, but I decided to just stop playing the game all together. Too many builds are sub par now, the fun of creating a strong build without following a min maxed guide has dissipated because even the builds which are created by geniuses on the forums perform averagely now. Itā€™s always been rewarding to me making something ultra powerful in a game but then still getting my ass handed to me if i play poorly in top tier content. But i just donā€™t feel it anymore in GD.

3 Likes

What buffs to Crucible?

Boss health is reduced in the Crucible. The buffs to vanilla boss health in the campaign did not translate 1:1 to the Crucible. Most did not receive a health bump at all.

Some fodder enemies gained more health, but I have a hard time seeing how those would survive any longer with the damage those builds put out.

I donā€™t know what your metric for sub-par is, but itā€™s very skewed.

1 Like

I am talking about a cumulative effect of Blessings/Banner nerf and now buffs to Vanilla mobs.

Just to get something out of the way: I am not ā€œcrying about the dead buildsā€ or anything, I donā€™t have any personal investment in the nerfed builds, I am just giving feedback on my experience after the patch.

Even with reduced HP in Crucible effect of recent changes resulted in 20-30 seconds slower run times for top builds and up to the 1 minute slower to mid-tier (7-8 minute) builds. And while some builds can naturally afford to hang out in those tough battles longer, some just canā€™t, 1 minute longer means dangerous fights are prolonged and chance of getting debuffed into nothing and popped like a rotten tomato increases exponentially.

And class combinations that are always in a very fragile state of balance (so not Vindicators or Mage Hunters or Paladins or Warlords) took a very hard hit.

1 Like

Not saying you areā€¦

I assume this becomes an issue in the 150-170 range? The only range that matters.

I donā€™t play anything else. Since what I do in Grim Dawn is mostly create and test builds and tune/adjust old builds I only test them versus hardest endgame content which is Crucible Gladiator 150-170 (with 3 blessings/1 banner) or Shards 65-66/75-76 (depending on the builds, because some builds are naturally bad in high shards).

But I am guessing that weaker/gimmicky builds who used to farm 130-150 also took a hit since those waves have a lot of vanilla monsters and especially Anasteria who is still the most dangerous enemy in Crucible.

I suppose itā€™s good then she wasnā€™t adjusted.

In my humble opinion she needs to be toned down, specifically her RR debuff.

But overall itā€™s the other waves that became disproprotinally hard I am talking about. Maybe some other Crucible pilots/builders can share their experience. Summoning @John_Smith @ya1@Dmt @x1x1x1x2 @Superfluff @thejabrixone

But then what will people have to get upset about?

Iā€™ll tone down the health scaling at 151+ a bit to compensate for the vanilla buffs.

2 Likes

You old softie, you Zantai. :smile:

I think this is enough.
I would like also to mention korvaak in 169. He hus such a long animation for a particular move when He flying and summoning all kinds of meteors, and heā€™s invincible too when he does that. Can you make him not invincible in that situation?

Also while weā€™re at it, please fasten his transformation animation in cruci

2 Likes

@mad_lee you know my stand. Iā€™m in support of Zantai here.

Ye-ye-ye, you like difficult stuff. I am asking about your experience however. Also, have you recently played builds that are not Inquisitors/Soldiers/Oathkeepers?

Only things I played since the patch were my reaver BM which is still the same, the sorc I just posted which you can infer from the video, and afanasenkovā€™s cold BH reaper that wasnā€™t as fast as the previous 2 and does get almost oneshotted a lot of times but has PB level healing.

I am not that experienced in creating builds, but my Warlord managed to almost wave 150. This was with just 2 blessings and i was facetanking in the middle not moving. If i played more safely i would have made it. Will try later to reach wave 170. So currently Crucible seems fine.

Iirc Shattered set Blademaster and Star Pact sorc with best caster items? Those are pretty top-tier builds, they are probably going to stay unaffected.

What kind of Warlord? If you think that Crucible ā€œis fineā€ based on your experience of playing it with a Warlord I have some bad news for you.

This build is created using GdStash and focused on trying to facetank Callagdra.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2M73p1Z

Posted some screenshots due grimtools being a bit different than ingame (smith bonus etc).

Iā€™m in. Acid devos Dervish died 3 times out of three in Crucble. Now Iā€™m playing only CDR spec from compendium.