[Feedback] Difficulty buffs made endgame disproportinally hard for melee builds

Yet, -24% bleed res for everyone… Probably because someone came to conclusion that this particular number on this particular component is too high. In the vacuum.

Nothing is in the vacuum. This is the main problem with balancing every patch. Things are looked at as if the weren’t interconnected. This nemesis looks like he has little hp - buff hp. This number on that item looks too high - nerf the number. Somebody said Fabius was bitch - buff Fabius. And then people die on every third run with some of the tankiest concepts on top tier builds.

And builds that needed bleed res from Bloodied Crystals are still gonna use Bloodied Crystals and either find a way to fix it elsewhere or die a death of a dead build. That’s because neither Topaz nor Mark of Illusions was buffed to compete. Crystal is still way better than Topaz on shields and than Mark of Illusions on energy starved builds. Why not buff shield stats on Topaz and give Mark some oa (and change elemental dmg to all dmg, whatever)? Or add some res? No one is gonna drop the Crystal because it gives less bleed res. This change has no consequence for builds that didn’t have this problem and just created more problems for builds that already had them.

4 Likes

Lol…

If you can say that with a straight face, I think I’m done reading your nonsense.

3 Likes

I think pierce it still not that important. You need multiple RR debuffs and Fabius in order to create the trouble.

Now chaos is more sensitive, since you will be shred to pieces after debuff. Also in FG you need acid overcap, because of Kaisan. So resistances numbers you need constantly grows. And oh don’t forget aether. Anasteria will laugh at you even with 50% overcaps.

Maybe 15% endgame builds in the game now have 50-60% bleed resistance. Most of them already struggled with other resistances. Maybe instead calling me an idiot (not that I care) you could explain why my assumptions are wrong (this I might actually care about)?

Right, but if you don’t overcap it at all a regular debuff can bring it down to 40% which is triple damage. I don’t really know how dmg numbers work on Fabius. Does he have armor piercing on the weapons so that phys on his attacks is dealt as pierce?

Some experience from SR.

Just played SR 70/71 (before patch: From “Easy” to “Reasonably Hard”, dependant of combos).
Shard 70: Double Zantarin, Galakros and some Lightning-throwing priest–> Easy (full doped including Shrine of Rattosh)
Shard 71: Valdaran, Grava´Thul, Theodin Marcell and some Lightning(?)-throwing dog–>Ermmm…Valdaran wasn´t easy-going before, but now? Stun, DoT, Teleport…died several times, timer ended…used everything I had (including Aether Cluster).

Was Valdaran buffed, too? And if Yes, was it really necessary?

I knew, it would be harder. Bloodrager/Blade Spirit/Bloodsong Nerfs add to difficulty.

I agreed Bloodied Crystal nerf is kind of now or never move, going all the way down too much.
It’s not like we didn’t make use of Ugdenbog Leather and other augment.
No matter how hard we try, it won’t change tons of builds are lack of bleeding res.
Why not decrease Armor % to 4~5% and bring back bleeding res to 18~20%.
Or these builds would be smashed like a tomato in SR.
Don’t tell me Crate wishes to see them going nowhere but Crucible with Celestial Blessing all day.

It’s almost like the game isn’t designed for any old build to do 75-76… wow

2 Likes

After reviewing this situation further, I’ve decided that the best course of action is selectively adjusting some vanilla boss encounter health scaling in the Crucible rather than applying blanket health nerfs across the board. This will particularly focus on vanilla bosses you encounter in waves 130+.

The new values will be a middle-ground between the old health pools and the ones in v1.1.4.0.

However, there will also be a slight nudge to reduce monster damage in general at waves 151+.

6 Likes

Great news!

Can this decision be somehow implemented in higher shards as well? Like 50+? Pretty much same problems there except it’s much worse and more random.

Sounds great, thank you :smiley:

In terms of health pools in the Shattered Realm, I’m not sure there need to be any custom adjustments to Vanilla enemies. They are on par with other bosses and it’s not like there is some predetermined spawn pool that can adversely affect difficulty.

To a certain degree, people need to also get used to vanilla boss mechanics mattering again.

If there are particular combinations that are too lethal though, that’s something we can address on a case by case basis.

2 Likes

I actually don’t mind that. Went into Shard 75 yesterday and Fabius of all Nemeses killed me 1on1 on non boss-chunk. Was surprised.

I do want to point out that Grava’Thul nullification mechanics just doesn’t feel fun or challenging. It kinda feels like you are fighting against a glitch or a bug. I can explain. Toggling on your permanent auras and buffs happens once: when we start a game. After that you only do it if you decided to switch gear mid-game, so rarely or never in one session. So when I interact with a world of Grim Dawn, I never feel like toggling auras is a part of the game. It feels like, I don’t know, adjusting Brightness or choosing an illusion or something. And doing that in the middle of your run completely takes you out of the game. It breaks the immersion a bit. It would make sense if Nullification could just take away your active buffs, like Devotion procs or Savagery stacks or potion buffs. But switching off my Prismatic Aura from my armor? I mean, does Grava tickle an on-off switch that is hidden between armor plates or something with his long pointy nails while you smash him with lightning bolts?

3 Likes

Correction: claws. :slightly_smiling_face:

Me, I don’t mind the effects of Grava’s null. It’s common knowledge that it’s not to be tanked. What I don’t like about it is when he does it from distance, often from beyond the screen, and the null-balls get lost in other FX effects. As long as you are given a chance to pay attention it’s not such a big deal. Worse are his fumble pools because often there’s no avoiding them.

Fabius in a way is yet another cold nerf. He is very strong. He and his Blade Spirits give you 562 da shred just by being around. Good thing is he doesn’t have much in terms of offensive debuffs (-15% slow only, EDIT: forgot -230 oa shred) and can be dispatched rather quickly (in crucible, not SR). But not by cold. Things like cold spellbreakers (tested Olexra ABB) or reapers (I surmise…) without much rr got hit pretty hard by this. This is apropos my “nonsense” above about things being interconnected rather than to be arbitrarily nerfed in vacuum

Well, Gravatul, at least, clearly telegraphs his “nullfication”, and if you run away for a while, you’re safe. Think of it as of “telegraphed oneshot, that has to be dealt by running away”. And he’s clearly visible on minimap.
Arcane heroes are far more nasty, cause you cant properly see their nullify, or even themselves in the crowd.

Why not turn toggles (which are worse than old retal, mechanically, as its passive.) into active skills that need you to cast them every so often?

If I’m perfectly honest here, all I see in the videos are piloting errors. Apparently these builds were able to not care about those before, so I’d personally prefer current balance. I can understand people being frustrated, but I have a feeling you are not trying to accept the fact that you forced to kite around/disengage/reengage sometimes but you rather try to brute force your old playstyle on the new difficulty.

2 Likes

What? 6 more skills to press? Sorry, I am no piano player, this would be a mess.

Survived Shard 71 a few moments ago so I took Grava´s Nullification. Potions, Shrine…well, I survived, that matters. More annoying were Kazzok and Korvaak…2 enemies with 2 phases in the same boss shard.

1 Like

Not really. Mad Lee’s vid there’s no error. He soloed Kuba like he should. Steward joined up but he is only annoying for his dmg redux and not dangerous enough to warrant running from Kuba! It was an unlucky string of dmg rolls. It shows the extent of crucible buffs. Belgo - especially done by Mad Lee - would not be dying while soloing Kuba in buffed and bannered crucible before.

Things like that happen more often. Just two days ago, Alex dropped me from 13k to zero on a Venomblade (much less solid, though) exactly when I hit him with SS. I watched the vid in x0.1 speed and still couldn’t tell what it was. More than possible it was a bug.

1 Like

try watching frame by frame then in an editor. (Avidemux or Blender’s VSE)

One of Mad_Lee deaths was pretty unlucky, I agree. Debuffed into highrolled kaisan bolt. Is that a death that we should use as an argument for game balance though? I’m very hesitant to do so.
The one ivolving the steward? Definitely a missplay imo. Circuit breakers were on cooleown and he could’ve easily ported behind kuba to still keep on attacking kuba, while dodging stewards dmg/debuffs (he also got RR on his wind up). Super greedy playstyle imo. Which I guess is the result of people hunting that very last second in crucible over the last couple of months.

1 Like