Feedback on Pyran set

I wanted to post it privately to devs but it seems this option no longer exists.

So, I was looking at Pyran, thinking oh another squish-caster set for Mortars, then I remembered about the Pyre rings, then I saw dps on those 95% converted Mortars, and then I fell out the chair, and then I tried crucible, and then I died in 168.

Set has good potential as a mob-manipulating kiter based on health regen (once one learns to play that). But:

1. Set completion skill is rather hard to use. Such a half-spam mini AoE skill with a nice little addition to DoTs isn’t a bad idea but not with this playstyle. Demo has too much clunk and too much piano. Between casting essentials and kiting and charging Fervor (yes, gotta, with these stats…) there’s nowhere to put that skill. And - by the looks of it - it’s seriously too weak to carry templars with no dmg skill but Devastation (and some DoT scraps from unsupported Inferno/Judgment/Vire - but maybe I’m wrong, didn’t test).

2. Set is arcanist only in name. All meaningful rr bonuses go to oathkeeper, all dmg belongs to demo. So it’s strictly shieldbreaker. Flat elemental rr to arcanist just about as useful as a third sock or a fifth wheel on a trolley (devotions have it, demo has it). Figure out how to give stackable rr to arcanist (Null, maybe?). OR don’t hold back on it and make it like 38.

3. This isn’t essential but… phys to fire to Mortars on the set is only good for those still farming for Calamitous Desires. Conversion aside, there isn’t a better medal for Mortars.

4. Pretty please some aether res. Had to roll exact conduit to even dream of capping it.

Since I gotta post it publicly, here’s the shieldbreaker spec I tested at its current shape: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVL09b5V Maybe I’m doing something wrong (crafting stuff is stun res mostly and some physique)?

Just finished theorycrafting Templar

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RVv69vXV

Still not sure about stuff, especially about not getting Inferno but it’ll be too much piano having more skills than what’s there. I kinda like it on paper tho. Not gonna be OP but I think it won’t be bad.

That’s where the granted skill comes in, imo. Devastation has a long-ass cooldown. In my setup judgment still has around 3s cooldown even with mods. It’s gonna be clunky with demo tho since you wanna spam traps all the time.

I went with IK belt to circumvent the aether res then go with something that gives phys res on pants. 8% is just too low and the set doesn’t have any phys res.

All good points, on which I completely agree. Arcanist only in name, aether resistance problem, DPS is insane though. I can’t say for survivability yet, as I tried it on my level 94 sorcerer (I want to finish main campaign with it). I’d add another point:

5- Pyran Granted Ability is just trash. Stormfire is plainly better. Give it more damage or a 1 second utility proc (stun, RR, knockback, %damage reduction …)

Main problem I see also is the same with every caster: you have 0% physical resistance. A good roll on Hellforged pants is mandatory :frowning: This is what I play currently (points will go in Vindictive Flame).
GRIMTOOL Pyran Sorcerer

Mad Queen was killed in 5 seconds; with my Meteor Proc, Phoenix Fire being only level 5-ish. Sentinel was also a few seconds. Damage output is really insane. And I looove the gameplay.

In Shieldbreaker, it has the potential to be tier 1 from what I see. Really good passive DPS with all the defensive tools from Oathkeeper …

Star pact with the Aether to Cold conversion decreases your Devastation DPS, doesn’t it ?

I was thinking maybe with the Vanquisher amulet for CT + Deva + Judgment for damage rotation ?

skill specific conversions happens before the global conversion from star pact

OK, thanks. I may have to review all my Templar TC from FG now :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you need a hero!

Ya1 meant the No Reply section which has gone.

True. On the other hand, messages are “just” private forum threads that only the recipent and sender sees. And pyran certainly puts everyone’s world on fire.

Nandi put some playing numbers on this in his thread, which seem ok. His end aether % is tolerable:

Nandi Pro 6:15 cruci

And after seeing x1’s Templar TC (~50% up-time on devastation), it seems like the set isn’t too bad for both combos. A bit more aether resist couldn’t hurt, though.

Yes, the old forum category is gone, but the means still exist:

I only tried level 100 Pyran out for a few hours, I didn’t have enough time to do some thorough testing. But between SR and crucible your feedback just about mirrors my experience with the set.

The set completion skill is cool but it definitely feels weird to use and either is a break even dps or dps loss or just increases the odds of you dying if you try to fit it into your rotation. At the very least I sure felt like combat was going better when I mostly ignored the skill.

The aether resist request +10000000. I thought the same thing when I first saw the set’s stats. Then I thought it again when I played with it and got annihilated by RR via aether enemies.

This set needs health before anything else. Sorcerer already has low health due to both masteries having no health bonuses, and the set lacking any health just exarcebates this issue.

Well i only find problem with 0 phys res and 0%cdr .That’s mean it’s impossible to use mines(only your rr) on sorcerer and with overall protection you can easily 1-shot from any serious enemy

Don’t want to discuss the whole set and balance (btw strongly disagree with all that says above about arcanist except lacking of rr), but things about that i want to talk is a prock on fullset.

Aaaaand… it’s bad.

C’mon, Pyran set is all about apocalyptic fire that rains from sky, and prock just not fit the primordial concept at all (not mentioned that fact that prock deals no damage at all).

So, Crate, i know you can make it, please let this happen - a nice nuke granted on fullset would be very nice solution.
Like meteor from herald of blazing ends.
Like sunspots from judgment of Empyrion.

I haven’t personally tried it but from multiple grimtools links and videos of this set’s performance I can say that set is extremely overtuned offensively and undertuned defensively. Which is more or less fine, but I think that offensive part of the set should be toned down and defensive buffed a bit. But at least this set correctly fits into a concept of glass cannon mage with nukes on cooldown (unlike Trozan, kek).

But yeah, unless you don’t want 5 minute Crucible videos, Zantai, you gotta look into it. And also into Mortars, it feels like they are overtuned as well.

The set is really great (tried it on Sorcerer) but:

1. it needs a bit more DA to feel perfectly comfortable for playing
  2. I think it’s better to change the conversion of off-hand to lightning->fire instead of phys->fire; that’s because we have phys->fire conversion here https://www.grimtools.com/db/ru/items/11718 and this is BiS-medal for Mortar Traps (and Pyran is played with them). So in order not to have doubled conversion, it’s better to change it to make Mortars deal pure fire damage.
  3. lack of phys res. Add at least 5-8% as 3-piece bonus or add 3-4% on helm/shoulders.
1 Like

If that’s true (haven’t had time to play) then it needs no change. It’s good having this kind of glass set sometimes.

It’s true. But damage on it is insane. I think min-maxed Shieldbreaker should do ~5 minute run on a green free spec without a sweat with this set.

I do 5:30 on my setup above after some more careful tweaking. I’m not saying that’s bad (I never do :slightly_smiling_face:) because build pays very heavy price in defense and piloting skills. But this is not necessarily because of the set. It’s because fully converted 6 Mortars are monstrous. The set doesn’t really do much for them (+1 summon and life is to be expected from any mortar set, conversion is redundant, there’s no flat cdr - gotta use this very crappy pistol with +100% fire, granted skill is completely not aligned with Mortar playstyle, etc). The only “extra” thing is that 30% lightning to fire.

So what about the skill. I see three ideal options:

• defensive proc a’la old Iskandra

• beam of fiery light (can use Light of Empyrion’s animation) - ground targetable, longer cooldown, stays there for a time an deals fire/burn in radius.

• fiery tornado - stays in plays or moves slightly, doesn’t matter, point is you cast it once and it deals dmg for a while.

• if no time to rework - increase the radius, dmg and cooldown. Add a debuff. Current skills deals less damage than a mortar shot. It’s completely useless unless you’re really desperate to slightly up that burn ticks