Feedback on Pyran set

You can actually spam Fireballs from Seal of Destruction as Templar. With capped attack speed I think it wouldn’t be that bad.

I like the glass approach tho, but that’s the biggest advantage with breaker: you don’t lose everything if you step away from mines, meaning you kite better.

@mad_lee it’s still not strong for a main skill, but that’s probably better than pyran skill.

I think this set is really cool, but I feel like Mortar Trap keeps getting screwed over if you want to build around the skill. You won’t be able to use Terrnox’s Tome if you’re using Pyran’s, so that’s -2 seconds of cooldown reduction gone, and you’re still dependent on Anderos’ Amplifier which is very distinctly a Purifier item if you want the -2 seconds cooldown from your weapon.

Let’s be real here, the biggest problem with Mortar Trap is that it’s slow as hell to deploy. Even with older Mortar Trap builds that used Anderos’ and Terrnox it took at least 5-6 seconds to roll out your full damage. With Pyran’s it’s going to take easily 15 seconds, which is half an eternity in Grim Dawn.

I don’t know what exactly the idea was behind making a mortar trap focused set that doesn’t help you get them deployed at all, since that’s the single biggest problem with the skill.

Did you see videos of that set performance, mate? It doesn’t have ANY problems except squishiness, previous setups with Ternoxx tomes and whatever don’t even come close to what Pyran’s Shieldbreaker does.

I don’t doubt that the damage is absolutely insane once your full battery is deployed, but it will still take an obnoxiously long time to do so.

How does that long deployment time affects your game? Because set is insane for Crucible speed farming, it can do well in Shards with some adjustments.

Basically it can only be slow if you need to speed farm something like Ugdenbog flowers or speed run some roguelike, but obvious that wouldn’t be a best char for that. And still I bet it would be pretty fast.

@Aetrion
Another thing is that With Shieldbreaker you have Vire + Teleport so you move around the map very fast. I think a lot of the stuff should die just from the procs and stuff like BWC and Ulzuin’s Flame, including heroes. Big bosses like Gargabol get melted in seconds, because you have time to deploy before they spawn.

And in Main Campaign, it’s a true slaughter. You have time to set your Mortar Traps against all Bosses and they just melt in seconds. I repeat what I said earlier but doing Mad Queen in seconds with a level 94 toon without max devotion procs is insane.

I have an opinion on caster set: they should all get the cyclone/Iskandra treatment: at least 10% physical resistance in set bonuses. Pyran is no exception.

For main game Anderos might be BiS with 2.2s cooldown, and you don’t really care for maxing dmg. In crucible 3.6s with the sword is ok as it still guarantees easy 100% uptime of all 6 mortars, and gives 200% fire more and +1 to demo. Mortars have great range, not like totems, so quick deployment is not as crucial. Anderos, however, might also be BiS on setups maxing Big One (not sure about this one).

Pyran is currently the fastest no green build in crucible (in a little different setup than Nandi’s - 100% ele to fire and Seekers, no Big One) but it’s EXTREMELY skill demanding not only defensively (but also offensively (good to learn to use that pet attack in the right time).

I’m still not sold on this set skill but I really can’t complain with sub 5 times on a zero green build. Dies a lot at first but well you die you learn!

Meteor + Seekers FTW! Glad to know it works well.

First time reading here about a build that’s so good but dies all the time if you don’t have the skill. Nice change of pace imo .

I’m not sure I agree on the “extremely”. Pyran is certainly unforgiving, but not more so than other swattable casters: I’ve tried a variation of Nandi’s shieldbreaker (notably trading Ghoul for Behemoth), and in terms of difficulty it felt comparable if not easier than the slew of TSS builds I’ve been testing lately. Mortars decimate everything even if you just around, which is not a bad trick for a 26/12/6 skill.

TSS is more of a straightforward kiting caster. With mortars if you want max performance you actually gotta facetank a lot. Ofc it’s easier to survive than TSS. But not easy to max clear time.

That’s not my experience; on the contrary, I’d say it’s harder to minimize clearing times with TSS. (As evinced by the fact that my clearing times with TSS have higher variance than with mortars.) I can argue the point if need be and if it isn’t too off-topic.

Anyhow, I’m not arguing that Pyran is easy to play – far from it – or that it deserves the sledgehammer. I just don’t feel it’s such an outlier among glassy casters.

TSS isn’t that bad now I think. The latest buff seems on point. I’ve tested my iskandra mage hunter yesterday and got about 7:20 clear times with it without banner, so it should be about 6 min with banner. And I am still convinced that it can do better as there’s so many options I yet to try.

On to the topic, I am loving the fact that the only masteries that can save princess demolitionist from Crate Castle are Inquisitor Mario and oathkeeper Luigi.

You guys make demolitionist looks too good, Zantai will forget to revamp the damn Thermite mine…

He will probably make mines even worse than they are now :zantai:

Why don’t you post it then? Nobody did so far afaik. Be the Iskandra guy! :woman_mage:

BTW I’m not sure 7:30 no banner translates to 6:00 with banner. Vanguard banner was nerfed hard…

Hmmm. Previously mercy’s run typically got 1.5 minutes faster than my no banner run. Dunno know. Somebody need to test one of my build.

I still got so many ideas for that guy so I will leave it right now. Also, the new targo set is surprisingly got so much potential and I plan to mess with that first tonight and this weekend.

For what it’s worth, I hit 6:30 with Iskandra, bannered. The problem is that the set runs entirely or converted devotions or just about; it doesn’t really do all that well by TSS.

Can you pm me grimtools? I need something to steal ideas from :slight_smile:

Fwiw:

I fooled around with some gimmicky ideas of pushing elemental dots using partial iskandra + pyram. + Arcane wastes (mortar, canister, maybe stun jacks). Pure TC, but maybe could give ideas:

Elemental Arcane wastes DoT Seeker sorc https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0BJQXN

And had thought about a 4/5 Iskandra EoR concept pumping out Seekers: Elemental EoR Seekers. The isk offhand may have worked here for extra RR, as well.

None of these use TSS, though. For me, that set’s potential strength is the high general elemental/dot % bonuses. (Too bad the AS bonuses were removed) Meh.

Oddly, though, Pyram is almost better at stacking all three elemental dot %…and it uses less item slots.