Feedback Request: Stone Usage

I wondered what tools were used for… now it makes so much more sense. I wish there was more info on things in game.

Like I found out today, Apiaries are serviced by FARMERS, not laborers. Found this out when it was taking forever to build farms… turns out I just followed my farmer around out of frustration and noticed they were running all over to the various apiaries around town. Sure, it’s great for later when you have 12-20 farmers and they have nothing to do when farms are growing. But it sucks when you are trying to build the farms and they are all off tending to the bees.

3 Likes

I would like to see a few larger stones, ones with 100 to 500 stone in them. Make them take a lot of effort to clear out but in return offer a lot of stone. The other sources you talked about are great too.

I use most of mine for buildings, walls, and main roads. Never a problem yet, but I’ve not taken a map to over 450 people yet because of other logistical reasons. Later on (400+) the biggest use became repairs on walls after a raid or army attack.

1 Like

Put a quarry building in there. Side of hills and mountains be the obvious spots. If you can mine coal, gold and iron, you can mine stone and it’s not a limited resource like the others (which realistically shouldn’t be).

Are stones cleared in the farming process added to our “stone” as well ?

Maybe mid / late game farming can “contribute” / “aid” ( not solve! ) in the lack of stone.

1 Like

Yes, any stone cleared from fields will be added to the total you have.

1 Like

“rockiness” ( above ) is what I meant to reference.

Stone-seekers!

I’m playing on a map where there are MASSIVE boulders and they have huge amounts of stone. I now have around 250 people and am building decorations like there’s no tomorrow and I have 1000+ stone in my reserves and they’re still mining more. It really is a game-changer now that I feel like I don’t need to be so frugal with it (screenshots below).

So for those who are worried that the game inherently doesn’t have enough stone, try this seed:

16D7FA3AA82

About the map

• Alpine environment

• Stone is abundant, but a lot of the terrain is quite uneven so you’ll need to spend a bit of time flattening it out.

• Loads of forests. excellent for logs/planks - the sheer size of the forests mean that even with two work camps, I never come close to needing to expand to new areas for logging as the forests recover very quickly. Not sure if this is influenced by the fact that there are so many trees around that naturally result in more seeds being dispersed faster etc but it sure seems like it.

• Fertility in this map is very patchy and the land is quite sandy - you’ll need to get your settlers to add quite a bit of clay to most of your fields.

• There’s a fair abundance of fish in small lakes/ponds which means you also have huge boosts to fishing because you can get up to 25 fishing spots in some places (those little blue buoy things) and some of my fishing shacks are operating at >300% because of it.

• Be careful of destroying willow bushes as I haven’t encountered too many - there are enough in the area that I’ve explored to make baskets for most people, but I do still have some people without baskets because I can’t make enough in a year due to a shortage of willow. Expansion and/or trade will solve this quickly though as it’s super cheap to import.

• I’ve found iron, coal, and gold deposits, though some of them don’t have much more than a yield of 500, so monitor that carefully.

• There was a wolf den very close to where I started - lost a few settlers before I finally managed to get rid of it completely because the wolves kept coming right into the centre of the settlement. There was also a bear prowling around somewhere.

When I first started I had a huge boulder nearby:

170+ settlers later, I have 900+ stone still. You can see it’s now not a concern at all.

1 Like

With much elation I can say that they do have them! :smiley: check my message above for more details about map seed etc.

Love that idea too. Makes the environment also more challenging, work around big rocky area’s or clear them with work camps.

1 Like

That’s great, thanks for shareing ! :grinning:

I wonder, may we use any seed on any difficulty or is the seed difficulty related ?

1 Like

Like I said in the steam forum: Can’t we use the stones from the fields? They need to be removed anyway, so ones every third turn or when the maintenance is done we receive the stones to build our wall and buildings. This not only feels more real, but it’s also the most simple solution.

Yeah, 160 seems to be the cap. I have a map with loads of those. I’m talking about having a few just monsters… like 500+. So it’s a blessing in you get a lot of stone, but it’s a curse in that you can’t build there until you clear it out. Imagine at 780 stone sitting right where you want to put your farms.

1 Like

Mining iron should also produce stone, and a lot of it. Forester shacks similar to banished are also required, late game is impossible due to lack of wood.

2 Likes

It’s possible I’ve misunderstood but if you harvest wood with the labour camps you can choose to only harvest mature trees and then the forest will grow back over time, you can also change the work radius of the building so if you have a camp that circulates between two areas you can harvest indefinitely. Unless you are saying that this method is too slow and you’d like to add a tree planting job to it to make it faster?

1 Like

I found that instead of Wood Fences. I wanted to use the stones on Stone Fences. Then Cobble Stone roads. From there it was mainly needed for Building for a while with Walls now requiring the lions share.

My settlements up until Tier 4 usually rely on a few well placed elevated towers…

I upgrade the heavy traffic roads, build some farm walls and other details so haven’t run into stone issues…

Usually Alpine maps due to variety and advantageous geological features.

After the farm is ready, it is possible to place an apiary, inside the farm itself, I place 1 every 6 5x5 farms, since the apiary has a penalty like the well for being too close, another information that the game does not show for now.

Except it does. The thing is you don’t see the penalty when building until AFTER the first one is built, same as the other buildings. If you click to build one, the penalty doesn’t show up yet as the first isn’t built. Also, while you can place it there, that tile becomes unusable for the farm (per the devs) for yield. So better to place it on the edge outside the farm.

Please keep to the topic of stone usage.

Depending on the map stone can be few and far between and lets face it the decorations might be a tad high on the stone requirement just like the Tier 2 parks and plazas just use so much bricks but thats a different topic. Also people might be using stone to build the fieldstone walls(I think thats what they are called?) instead of the wood walls cause they just look better. So its the whole aesthetic thing about it when your building a city… People might be also going overboard on the tower defense to protect key buildings from raiders…

But I think the biggest thing for stone usage is simply you need a good amount of decorations over and above Markets, Schools, and all the other early big boosts in desirability and the decorations themselves don’t seem to give a big boost and the stone nodes themselves really don’t give THAT much stone to begin with

In the end, all the stone usage just adds up. Need stone for defense towers, stone for decorations, stone for cobbled roads so your villagers move faster(assuming you can get them to build the roads without taking YEARS), stone for buildings… Then you have to search far and wide for it on some maps in the early game then you find a node that gives 15-40 stone on average which is basically the cost of a single item mentioned above…

1 Like