[feedback/request/suggestion] Thermite Mine (yes, here we go again)

Greetings, long time lurker here (very long actually), 1st post. Be gentle. I know there’s a lot of other posts about this particular skill, but I would like to put my 2 cents in. =)

TL;DR:
• Make the mines always land in a circle(triangle) around the skill’s targeted cast point (rotating the triangle a little each cast to prevent too much overlap)
• Increase aoe of each mine by about 1m
• Make the base distance each mine lands from the targeted point about 1.4m (just far enough that if you cast it on a boss as the target he will be guaranteed to be ‘standing in’/hit by at least one of them)
• Give the Mine/skill a significantly increased chance to crit, and reduce base damage accordingly, ending up with a slight overall nerf to dmg to help keep it balanced.
• Give the skill a 4s cooldown.

Long non-TL;DR post with reasoning, personal play exp, etc.:
I’ve been trying to get Thermite Mine to work for a while now and as much as I love the idea of the ability and what it does, it’s main source of frustration and lack of usability stems from its lack of consistency. I can’t think of any other skill in the game that is as random/inconsistent as Thermite Mine (although I’m sure someone on here will remind me of one I’ve forgotten about). To be clear: I don’t think this skill needs a buff or a nerf, I simply think it needs to be tweaked to be consistently useful when cast. However, I am also aware that its current power level is at least partly related to its inconsistency, so this would likely necessitate at least a small nerf for balance. All that being said, I feel that a weaker but consistently useful skill is always better than an overpowered skill that only works 25% of the time.

I’ve found that Thermite Mine becomes much less frustrating (and slightly more useful) when you use both Mythical Infernal Knight’s Faceguard & Mythical Grim Fate. I’ve come to realize that this is due not to these items “buffing” the skill as much as it comes from the increased area of the mines improving the chances of you actually hitting the mob/enemy you threw them at, i.e. the consistency of the skill.

So, here is my reasoning for each change I suggest:
• Make the mines always land in a circle(triangle) around the skill’s targeted cast point (rotating the triangle a little each cast to prevent too much overlap): This is the primary change that fixes the inconsistency problem. By making the mines land in a known location/pattern we greatly improve its consistency and therefore its usefulness and players QoL. I have included the concept/mechanic that the triangle should rotate a little each time for several reasons: 1. to maintain the original flavor of the skill as much as possible, 2. to prevent overlap of the mines as much as possible - if we can have 6 mines, it wouldn’t make any sense for them to always land on top of each other and therefore effectively reduce us to only 3 mines. 3. to accommodate items such as Cyclone Effigy - again, if the mines simply overlap every cast then why have more than 3? so by rotating like 40 degrees per cast (or whatever the number would be) we prevent most of the overlap.

• Increase aoe of each mine by about 1m: This change simply mimics the effects of the items that seem to fix the skill. Likely the items would need to be tweaked a little so as not to make them either under or over powered when combined with these changes.

• Make the base distance each mine lands from the targeted point about 1.4m (just far enough that if you cast it on a boss as the target he will be guaranteed to be ‘standing in’/hit by at least one of them): Again targeting the consistency. Often in game I cast TM and the mines end up nowhere near the boss I’m fighting. In Crucible and in massive fights it’s not a huge problem, but when you really want/need to affect a specific enemy mob and can’t manage to ‘hit’ it with a mine after 5 or 6 casts - obviously something’s wrong. =p It is possible that if we make the mines land in an equilateral triangle with overlapping radii in the center of their origin point that we end up hitting the target mob with all 3. I’m ok with this, but the skill may need to be slightly tweaked to not ‘stack with itself’ if this is the case and the dev’s would prefer not to have this happen.

• Give the Mine/skill a significantly increased chance to crit, and reduce base damage accordingly, ending up with a slight overall nerf to dmg to help keep it balanced.: The way I understand the mechanics of this skill is that the player casts the mine and the mine ‘casts’ the flame jet effect (the codebehind may be wacky though so who knows). If that is the case, it shouldn’t be too hard to simply give the mine itself an OA modifier to the OA it presumably inherits from the player. If this is not feasible it maybe possible to simply reduce the targets DA, but only for the mines flame jet effect. Again, I’m not sure about the codebehind, but my experience as a software engineer tells me it should be possible, and my exp as a game designer tells me there just has to be a way to make this work in there somewhere. Anyway, this reduction in base dmg, but increase in crit should, in theory, keep the end dmg roughly the same or slightly lower, but increase its usefulness in triggering some celestial-skills/devotions. Since this skill is predominantly used for utility (RR being the current main reason to bother with it), I predict the nerf to final damage numbers - but increase in utility - would be welcomed by most.

• Give the skill a 4s cooldown: Again, focusing on balance and utility, as I understand it, Devotion skills chance to trigger are based on a skill’s cooldown, so this increase in CD would effectively increase it’s usefulness/utility as a trigger for devotion skills. Also, since we are increasing the utility and consistency, not being able to spam it should help balance it out a bit more by reducing the instantaneous output that is theoretically possible when you spam it. This change would likely require item like Cyclone Effigy to be tweaked to ensure they don’t end up underpowered when combined with these changes.

Thanks for reading and happy gaming. =)

Wish granted?

There’s been so many Thermite rants then it really feels unfresh. Mines are good. 2 of the 5 strongest builds in the game got mines at 10/16. You don’t see them ranting for triangles.

4s cooldown, absolutely not. You need to be able to throw 2 sets of mines at once at all times. It takes ages for them to activate so you gotta be ready to throw them at any time.

Radius is good now. Mines are invincible. All’s good. Don’t fix what’s not broken.

1 Like

No!
Give it a legs and act as permanent player scaled- pet.

If it’s not possible, increase the radius to 3 meter for God sake.

1 Like

@eisprinzessin nifty, hadn’t seen that.

@ya1 I am aware of those builds, and from what I’ve read both of the “makers” of those builds still complain about TM being a necessary evil that they hate how crappy they are, but they need the RR. So, I don’t really see how making them more consistent as a QoL fix would be bad. o.O

1 Like

As said zantai a rework of mines is already underway… From the screenshot posted it would appear all 6 deploy at once in a circle around your target… hopefully with reduced travel time too

2 Likes

2 strong builds using mines does not make mines strong. So not sure what your argument is.

@Valinov yes, im excited =)

As far as I know John_Smith didn’t bother ranting about the mines on his bomberman. Afaik one of his setups from the last patch even maxed them. I didn’t complain about the mines on my Pyran either. Actually, I say Pyran doesn’t “need RR so much to bear the crappiness of the mines” or whatever. He’s got 2 masteries worth of RR from the Guardians alone. He uses the mines because they’re awesome and they compliment Mortar playstyle of having to keep enemies where you want them to be.

That is not to say some other guys didn’t make those builds better. If so I’d love to see that (genuinely out of curiosity).

This screenshot shows what unnecessary feedback like this might do to the game. Devs feel pressured to fix what’s not broken might just end up messing it up. I say MIGHT because I don’t know. But it feels like cooldown might be added to make up for instant deployment of all 6. And this would be terrible. Just speculating.

A bit more radius and speed, sure, but messing around with triangles, circles, cooldowns, spider mine-creeps, spiral fireworks, etc.? Why?

Because just because a few top tier builds happen to use mines, doesn’t mean that they are in a good state?

You even said that mines were simply tacked on rather than crucial to the build’s success.

So, seems to me like that is an argument for fixing the mines rather than against it.

Mines are clunky to use and not in a good state right now. The builds that do depend on its RR suffer the most because of how terrible it is to use compared to something like Wind Devils which is basically a fire and forget skill.

So I don’t see any arguments for why mines are awesome.

1 Like

Yeah whatever. I vote for heart shaped mines shooting rainbows, then.

:rainbow: :gun: :heart:

thermite mines are effeective rr shredder and decent dps skill if you can keep the enemy in the mine. that obviously mean melee char will have easier time using them rather than ranged char who kite all over the place without specific kiting strategy around the mines.

what is awesome are guardians of empyion, they are like thermite mines on legs.

Mines are getting improved soon anyway, so they wont bounce all over the place anymore (hopefully)