As the player who has perhaps spent the most time mastering the terrain tool and building some truly unassailable defenses I think I have a unique perspective on this issue. The terrain tool, even in its current implementation, is capable of creating completely unbreakable defenses, but it requires hundreds of hours of experience and experimenting to be able actually execute in a timely fashion. It is thus understandable that many players who have less time to learn want the terrain tool to be buffed so they can also build such fortresses. However, if terraforming was easier while retaining its current power it would absolutely break the balance of the game.

I think it is really fun and satisfying to build impressive terraformed fortresses, and that many players would have a more enjoyable game experience if it were made more possible for them. And so I’ve thought a lot about ways that terrain’s defense potential could be toned down a bit so that it doesn’t trivialize the game. Ngl, I don’t have any good suggestions though. If raiders could climb up and down cliffs it would still be effective to slow them down but make it much harder to funnel them into a single chokepoint, but given the discussions around water and pathfinding I suspect the technical implementation of this would be too much to realistically do. If some raiders could fly it would reduce the effectiveness, but flight doesn’t fit the setting. Etc.

So the point of this post is really just that I wish it were possible to make terraforming a bit easier without making combat trivial, but I can’t think of a realistic way to actually achieve that. It is a very hard thing to balance, but hopefully the devs can think of something though, because I really think it would give the game a cool factor that sets it apart. I think in terms of balance, on normal difficulty it should be fine to defend without thinking much about terrain, but success on the hardest difficulty should require taking it into consideration.

I made this post after loading up a past save to see how it handled the new raiders, and without any changes it slaughtered them all including catapults without any issues, so it is still (too?) strong. One immediate change that would help the raiders is to make catapults target anything within range, rather than targeting the first building they can path too. Currently they will happily roll into range of a tower on a cliff and not return fire until they are shot, making them too easy to counter.

2 Likes

I made a similar topic some time ago and i am sure there are others. I personally would just copy the game design rules from real life.

• You cannot just pile up dirt in a way that is not possible to climb - there will be slope.
  • Natural cliff as a vertical wall is OK, but you should not be able to build one just with bare hands.
  • Stone-walled raised ground would be cool, but it should take the amount of stone needed for wall of that size and the dirt needs to come from somewhere.

One idea that popped into mind is a special terrain tool that takes two clicks - one where the ground is taken from and to where it is put down to rise that amount. And if there is stone wall separating low and high ground, then the dirt would not fall into a slope through the wall, but would create a raised ground in one side of the wall. This would of course use more work force than just flattening.

If this game also wants to be village defense simulator, then ladders would be expected to be used more than siege rams.

While all these combat, defense, terrain features would be great to have fine tuned, i think most of the focus in this game should still be in making great economic, social, spiritual village simulator with different challenges and mechanics to use there.

Instead on making the raiders come always in big waves like Vikings, realistic would be also to have smaller criminal or bandit groups that just come, steal something, destroy a house maybe and run away.

1 Like