Few starter questions

Good day!

I have recently started the Grim Dawn journey. Trying to scratch that RPG itch.

It is a cool game, but there are a lot of items. I am using the loot filter already filtering out all rares. But I am not able to get any good weapons for my Blademaster im lvl 27 now and I am still running lvl12 swords. At this point I’m bluntly looking at the damage calculation when swapping weapons. Is there a way to get better weapons? Am I supposed to craft them, upgrade existing ones or buy from vendor? I get drops of better armour and rings constantly, but not weapons.

Also, I sometimes get stuck against some roadblocks. they look a bit different on minimap like a boulder blocking the path. I know in few designated places you can place a dynamite to clear the way. But in general are there some secrets behind these ‘boulders’?

And lastly, are there any other general tips that you can give me to have easier time playing trough this game?

Thanks!

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Firstly, don’t filter out rares; they can be quite useful. Do you have just the base game or the expansions as well?

No, blockades are just that, blockades. They help to randomise the maps somewhat.

Go to www.grimdawn.com and click on the Game Guide there for more info on the game.

1 Like

Hi there,

I have AoM expansion. Still waiting for Forgotten Gods to go on sale on GoG :slight_smile:

That’s bad. Most of slots are rare for me at this state and usually have a ton of various resistances.
A lot of them drops from Monster Totems.

You can check this site Item skill modifiers - Grim Dawn Item Database
for checking which items boost a particular skill and where to get them

If you’d like your hand held, you can follow some Blademaster beginner / leveling guide from here Beginner build guides Compendium (for AoM + FG expansions) or YT

1 Like

Welcome! GD is an awesome game. Map can be confusing at times but eventually you will memorize the layout. Just make sure to go slow and explore on the first few playthroughs. Here’s a beginner guide for Blademaster.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry. I meant I have filtered out magic items. I thought rare are more common ones. Sorry for the confusion. All my items are green/blue atm ;D

2 Likes

Welcome mate! My two cents, I would advise not worrying too much about crafting/hunting too hard for new gear while leveling - unless you are running a build that depends on specific MIs, that is. Otherwise just use whatever you happen to get. After the first couple acts (especially going into the expansions and Elite), you will want to make sure you have some decent resistances.

GD is indeed a very cool game, you have a fun journey ahead :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the game!

there can be some level thresholds where gear can be hard to upgrade, especially for physical based classes.

I’m trying to think of some good upgrades in the 30’s…I think the rotting croplands has some nice mobs for that. the ethereal drop bludgeons which are nice physical weapons, and the Dermapteran’s (insect dudes) drop slicers, which are great for piercing builds. in about 1 minute of running from the rotting croplands portal, I got a bludgeon with a ton of physical, trauma and bleed damage, and a slicer with piercing damage. just farm there until you get the affixes you like.

And I always get confused with the gear types, so I go by color too :smiley: greens and blues are where you want to be.

1 Like

haha, i have passed the lvl30 mark. Now at lvl50. still trying to understand how to improve my equipment. Currently just using basic upgrades and not target farming.

But luckily, I dropped two slicers from one of the wasp tunnels. And I have been using them ever since.