First Titan Quest, now Grim Dawn... What's next? Grim Titan?

First of all, Titan Quest > Grim Dawn even though GD is better developed and everything. Also, this is a serious thread, despite having much troll in it. Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw

You, Crate, already leaked a pic of a new game you’re making right now. Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw So I wonder, will it be as successful as TQ and GD Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw or will it be not-that-good-but-still-playable game? What I’m asking exactly, you’re very good at making ARPGs, no one will deny that, Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw but what type of game will be your next production? What will it be based on? I am not asking to tell us exactly how the game will look etc. The main reason I really liked TQ was because it is better than Grim Dawn and it is mythology based - titans, egypt legends and not only. Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw So my main question would be, what will be the game based on? Gameplay? Story? Maybe both?

I personally felt only the story in Titan Quest, I loved that since I really love mythology and egypt history. I never paid enough attention to the plot, though, but the climate was so harsh that it was impossible to focus on the gameplay (which was really good, imo, you saw the gameplay and you felt the climate). Grim Dawn is a game that focuses more on gameplay. You have many mechanics, less story in the world. The main quest is to defeat Aetherials and Chthonians, so you also feel it. The world doesn’t tell you practically anything. Why do I say so? Whenever I play the game I only see the gameplay, literally the opposite of Titan Quest. That’s not bad, since gameplay holds the player too. If your next production would harshly focus on both sides exactly the same (this is, gameplay and story), the game would be even more successful than Grim Dawn and TQ mixed together. Some people love gameplay, some story. Mixing both makes both sides feel good. Well yeah, it’s hard to focus on both, no disagreement here.

Do you also plan on doing other kinds of games (implying the next game will be also an ARPG)? Do you want to try to seek for even bigger success in other types of games, like RPG, RTS and other?

What do you think went wrong in your previous productions? Do you sometimes look at your game or scripts and say “Holy fuck, this sucks, why would we do that?”? Every game has bugs, it’s mostly because of not paying enough attention or writing the scripts wrongly. But hey, you can’t avoid that. I used to be a pseudo-programmer, modding games, but quit it so I kind of know something about it. I am not saying that your games are full of bugs or something like that - bugs are inevitable.

Are you also planning to make a RTS game? I really like those types of games. Something like building, story focused on mythology/history (or both), like Cultures series? Taking in account that TQ was a successful game as a mythology-based RPG, doing a RTS mythology/history (or both) based might be successful too.

TL;DR: Titan Quest > Grim Dawn btw

1. What will be the type of the game?
  2. What will it be based on? Story? Gameplay? Maybe both?
  3. How long will the gameplay be? What are your plans? Will it be a short game? Long?
  4. Will you stick to ARPG types of game or will you expand your production skills?
  5. Do you think you made something wrong in your previous productions?
  6. Will you ever make a RTS game?

Q&A:

Q: USER_NAME_01, why did you put so many “TQ > GD” in your message, you idiot?
A: We’re in Off-topic in the “totally random” section. I adapted to it. It’s my land and home - I was born and raised as a troll.

Feel free to joke around and everything. Memes are cool.

Everyone is pretty sure it is an RTS (this has long been known) and it will be set in the same “world” as GD… different time period. It is also being made with the Unity engine.

You can mostly thank the XboxOne port. :wink:

It requires DX11 and we’ll also need to do a bunch of work to get decent frame rates on there. We won’t be changing anything else about the PC version that will affect gameplay but it will get these engine improvements and some additional controller functionality.

We also are planning another “spin-off” game that is based on GD but a somewhat different kind of game.

The totally new non-GD project we’re working on uses Unity.[/QUOTE]

Old pic we’ve known of for awhile: http://www.crateentertainment.com/webfiles/mountainvalleytown01.jpg

Nearly brand new pic: https://scontent.fmia1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/25626226_2004117782962494_5523026166090460450_o.jpg?oh=64796e672e50c0ba833bc27c652fb0d9&oe=5AB94083

A couple other smaller pics found on the main crateentertainment.com site:

Also, GD > TQ. The only thing TQ has going for it these days is its Greek mythos setting (which is a totally subjective thing based on individual taste) and a whole lot of good mods. My personal taste finds GD’s world much more immersive and I rather like the story and lore of the world, which, unlike how you view it, is scattered in literally every corner of Cairn. It rather sounds to me you are one of those who is purposefully trying to ignore its existence even tho it smacks you in the face from the get-go and never really stops. Other than that GD is leaps and bounds better and less frustrating mechanically.

I’ll see your troll and raise it by 5 trolls. You even stole my Q&A idea! What gives yo!? :rolleyes:

Try to make an honest living around here and all these damned upstarts keep trying to piss in my pot :wink:

So sad to hear the game is most likely gonna be a strategy game.

I’m not. The little we’ve seen looks mighty interesting to me. Dunno if you were expecting them to keep working on arpg’s but they’ve been working on GD for the past 8 years (and still counting). I think they deserve a little break.

RTS? I thought it is going to be a city builder.

When I first found Titan Quest it made me agitated as I imagined exotic atmosphere and locations I never heard of, but it turned out not quite like I imagined. To be fair, there are some exotic locations, but most of the game feels like a cheap tourist route. What would you like to see in Egypt? :slight_smile:

Greek mythology - ahahah, yes, like Yellow Emperor talking about Titans with a straight face

Who knows? I’m hoping it’s more a mixture of both. There has been no confirmation yet on what it is exactly but I’ll just post links medea fleecestealer recently dug up and pasted in a similar back room conversation that have a lot to do with the current views.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=451164#post451164

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48119&highlight=Crate+project&page=3

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting those powbam, saved me having to do it. :slight_smile:

I think Medierra’s post in the first link is the most important one re the constant grind of working on the same things year on year and also not relying on just the one game/genre to keep the company going. There’s also the point about using the team’s time more efficiently. I know back in the early days some people were part time because Crate didn’t have the funds for full time, but also because there just wasn’t enough work to justify full time employment then. Now the company’s on a more financially secure footing it makes sense to have different things for the team to work on so people don’t get bored and look for a new job elsewhere. As he said, there’s a great team at Crate and he wants to make sure it stays that way.

As for the two smaller pics on Crate’s website eisprinzessin had this to say at the end of the linked thread.

"Thanks, the first one is new. And it looks sweet. I wonder why it has soldier in its file name.

However, the second one has been there since the dawn of time."

Medierra said in the last stream that he believes it’ll be a couple of more months before he’s ready to give us more info re the new game. And Zantai has said several times in steams/posts that there were things they would have done differently if they’d had the time/money/been able to do right them at the start of development.

I think it’s more that the story is delivered in a slightly different way with both games. It’s basically the same for the main quest - track the baddies and bring them down. With TQ the lore was given via the various storytellers in the game giving you the mythology of whatever region you were in. With GD it’s the lore notes themselves.

I wasn’t aware of those pics. Thanks for posting. They look amazing and i’d love to play a GD Rts. Also wasn’t ware that medierra was in the last stream @medea. Thanks

Yeah, we had all 3 of them chipping in. Grava and Zantai talking and Medierra chatting. :smiley: Unfortunately the video of the last stream has now been taken down.

Whaat? But why…Is it on You tube?

No, I had a check before posting. Most recent is the AoM trailer from a couple of months ago.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought that. It doesn’t strike me as GD related.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Grim Dawn > Titan Quest to me, no contest. Just the fact GD targeting is so much better, just puts it above it TQ. I honestly can’t play TQ for a long length of time with that game’s targeting.

I also found GD world and story much more engrossing. TQ story is so repetitive until Act 4, where each act is “Find and kill the Telkine” repeated for 3 acts, with barely anything in them besides that. And i also ranted already about how repetitive and bland the first two acts in terms of design with Greece being a majority of repetitive green plains and Egypt just being a giant desert. Act 3 tries to vary for once but it’s also guilty of repetitive green plains quite a lot.

I’m honestly interested in the strategy game and if it set in Cairn before the Grim Dawn, even better.

Yes it has been there since the start but same here, I don’t think its GD related. More like all this while I thought it was Black Legion concept art.