For when your map is lacking resources

I know that you can buy resources via the trader, but most often it’s rarely available to buy from a travelling merchant. I think it might be a good idea to have an order facility available, where you can request specific resources to be delivered, at least a bit more frequently. Perhaps make the option available after upgrading your town center to level 5 and more expensive as it would be in real life, because it’s something you want and a guaranteed sale for the travelling merchants.
For example the map I’m currently using, has no willow and no medicinal plants. Even though I buy every bit of willow, baskets, medicinal plants and medicine, it’s no where near enough. My population is just over 400.

2 Likes

Already been planned for the future at some point.

1 Like

Fantastic. It’s much needed in the harder maps. :grin:

The lack of certain resources is WHY they’re harder maps.

1 Like

Yep exactly, which is why I suggested it to be only available after you’ve upgraded your town center to level 5. The idea is to have the potential for just enough resources at top level, not a surplus and at a much larger cost for a regular supply, is a penalty in itself. I agree with you that harder maps should be difficult, so the harder the map and levels chosen at the start, the more it should cost. :smiley:

1 Like

Just enough for what?
To last some while, before everything falls apart?
This game is like the Richter scale.
There is no top level.
There are only the current levels we have seen so far.
There are no limits to what Crate could add.

That would be great, especially if you’re having the experience I’m having with traveling merchants. They don’t want to by what I have to sell in the majority of their visits, nor do they have anything I need or want to buy. I have years when I have the lot of merchants visit (this has been true on Tier 3 and is now true on Tier 4) when there just has not been any reason for them to have shown up at all. We’re promised, when we get to Tier 3, “more and better merchants.” Well, there’s more of them, but they are anything but better. A means whereby we could order what we need would be a great improvement over this situation.

Yep, that’s exactly what happens with your own surplus goods… I don’t actually mind waiting till they want to buy it. If you’re relying on selling, then you need to balance your game so you’re not. In most cases with me it’s just a temporary thing, because the resource can’t be used until later in the game, eg honey. You need the wax to make soap but can’t use the honey yet. When buying, it usually is available somewhere on the map, but haven’t found it yet. It’s only when you are using difficult terrain maps where some resources are not available at all. The good news is "

Just enough = you have just enough to supply your basic requirements per population for 1 game year.
Yes, this game is in development and subject to change, it reminds you every time you hit that play button. :joy: :wink:

1 Like

I like this idea; and I think you wouldn’t even need an additional facility/building for that. Only a function would have to be integrated into the trading window, which makes it possible to pre-order from a retailer. This could be designed in such a way that the retailer makes a price suggestion and specifies a certain quantity “from - to”. You pay the selected amount in advance, i.e. immediately, just as it would work in reality. The retailer then appears again within a certain time frame and delivers the ordered and pre-paid goods. This also enables personal time and financial planning.

1 Like

Pretty much what they have in mind.

1 Like

Sounds like this game is going to be brilliant once they have laid out all the aspects. I can’t wait. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve waited five or more game-years for the merchant to have anything I need. They have nothing of what I need, year after year after year. I’m playing in pacifist mode, and all the merchants want to sell me axes and armor. As for selling, I have thousands and thousands of sellable goods that have accumulated because for year after year after year, the merchants don’t want to buy them. Good heavens, one would think that there’s got to be some year when they want to sell me what I need and buy what I have.

Not relying on selling so much as wanting to get accumulated goods sold so I’ll have room in my warehouses and won’t have to build eight or ten of them! I have gold mines and foundries, market squares and manors (with some luxury goods), so I have a good surplus in my finances.

Ah, good old capitalism! When the customer is desperate, jack up the price! :rofl:

I don’t suppose the trading center is so sophisticated it takes that into account.
Pacifist mode is an alien concept to me, I play on Vanquisher level… I like the challenge, otherwise it gets boring rather fast. I remember a while back when the Walking Dead was current, they did a survey to see if you would survive a zombie apocalypse… I gained ‘the last person standing’ award. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grin:

Yep, but if you have a gold mine,… what’s the problem?

Well, I’m beyond liking challenges. The past several years IRL have been challenging enough, so I play to relax. I like the city-building, trying to balance all the elements and keep the town thriving. Zombie apocalypse . . . Congratulations. I’m too old to survive that.

What I said was just a general comment.

1 Like

Just some observations on good ole capitalism, so it’s one less thing you fret over… we wouldn’t exist without it, it’s not man made and it’s very ancient. It’s how nature operates on pretty much all forms of life, in that all forms of life capitalise off of another form of life in order to exist. Shocking I know, but there we have it. :kissing_heart:

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but read The Dawn of Everything by David Wengrow and David Graeber: an anthropologist and an archeologist who contend that the evidence shows that capitalism and competition are not in fact ‘very ancient’ and not how human nature operates in the majority of early societies/cultures.

On the other hand, the game is set much, much later when grubby (or better: ‘grabby’) capitalism and competition are much more common, so we should and will have to deal with it!

1 Like

All living organisms compete against each other and all capitalise off of each other, it’s a very complex symbiotic relationship. Eg, the relationship between the plant and animal kingdom, animals wouldn’t exist without plants excreting oxygen and vice versa, plants would not exist without animals excreting carbon dioxide, both are capitalising off of each other, the carbon cycle.
There are also many examples in the natural world of parasites, where one attempts to take over to the detriment of all else. Most ancient primitive human tribes do in fact show evidence of having a hierarchy, which is evident throughout the animal kingdom with primary females and primary males leading their packs. I would suggest the archeologist/anthropologist looks again with better eyes. :wink:

Or just give us option in world settings to set what resources we want to spawn or something. Most of the maps are lacking what I want. I want more customization in world settings to adjust world spawners as the way I want to play.