Forgotten Gods Development FAQ

will there be another addon following FG? or game is complete and whole afterwards? tnx in advance

Zantai’s replies from the 27th July stream:

"tupacx92 :@CrateEntertainment is this the last expansion for GD ?

I think it’s very likely that this will be the last big content push we do for Grim Dawn. It’s just the kind of natural progression of a release product like this. There was a huge spike when the game came out and sales are still trickling in for the base game. Then Ashes of Malmouth came out and the spike wasn’t as big as it was for the base game was and that’s fine, that’s how expansions go. And we expect Forgotten Gods to be a little bit lower than Ashes of Malmouth, but still good enough to make it worth while making the expansion otherwise we wouldn’t be making it financially speaking."

"AdiosOcelote : Didn’t you say the same after releasing AoM?

I mean I suppose we did, but ultimately it is a financially driven decision. I guess if Forgotten Gods blows us away in terms of how many copies it sells then maybe a third expansion would be discussed. But at this time isn’t not like - we’re definitely doing a third expansion."

"Pokerkid777 :If Forgotten Gods ends up being the last expansion, how much longer do you expect GD to be supported with balance changes and bug fixes?

As long as it makes sense to. Just because we’re not going to work on a giant expansion doesn’t mean that we’ll just stop developing Forgotten Gods stuff. We have ideas for what we could do for post release stuff, whether that could be some new items or some more floors for end of dungeons, might even do some more story content potentially. We will see. And there’ll be additional balancing needed because there’ll be new items, there’s going to have to be some tweaks to make sure everything’s competitive and build diversity goes up."

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77182

Devs have stated that FG will most likely be the last DLC, unless FG sells really well.

Not a problem gladmark. If you have questions then feel free to ask them here, someone’s bound to know the answer.

One thing to be aware of though, if you multiplay a lot, is that GOG doesn’t have the same number of people playing as you’ll find on Steam The versions are not cross play compatible so you may struggle to find someone to play with. 95% of GD’s sales are via Steam.

If this is a concern for you, you could join the GD Discord and use their searching players section to see if you can find someone to play with.

Guys I have a question - After FG are you planning making new game in future(and when if yes ?) Grim Dawn 2 or other H&S with same advanced mechanics?

Personally I will take FG in day of release and also expect 1 DLC more yet,then new game needed!!! There is only few (mean 2) good h&s on the market:GD and PoE… The rest is dog’s-meat…

Here’s the latest (I think) on the new game they are working on.

From what I have understood of their various statement, they definitely intend to continue making games in the future.
They are currently working on a different game, which will be more town-building with combat element if I recall.

However they will be open to work on more H&S titles in the future.
It would be quite a long way off, though. As the team was a bit burned out on the genre after working so long on GD.

Don’t expect anything new in the aRPG world from Crate before a good couple of years, I’d say.
Good that there is still years worth of content with GD and I suppose the upcoming project.

Atm GD2 or any other ARPG is just a possibility some time in the future.

"droblit :@CrateEntertainment how long do you plan to work on GD? is there going to GD 2?

Well, Forgotten Gods will probably be like the last big content release we do. Whether we do something afterwards like something smaller like the Crucible depends on the team, whether we do any patches depends on how the sales are going. So long as the game is active, the sales are steady then we’ll keep supporting the game and keep you guys interested. As for Grim Dawn 2 that’s too far into the future to confirm or deny."

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77182

no Level Cap and no devotion points? Im very disappointed, I hope at least, that unify everything in a only difficulty

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

Level cap isn’t increasing as there’s not much of a point to it - we’re not getting new tiers of gear (because it would suck for all of our Mythical gear now to be completely invalidated) and we’ll be likely getting a few extra skill points from quests anyway.

They’re not cutting difficulties either. It’s been discussed quite a few times and they’ve decided that it’s not happening for the simple reason that they do not want to break our current characters with such a drastic change.

That said, they know that 3 difficulties is a concern for a lot of players and have been investigating solutions to the problem.

Edit: Devotion cap isn’t increasing either. 55 is enough, any more and you start moving into power creep territory as it becomes really easy for builds to pick up multiple T3 constellations/celestial powers. There needs to be some amount of choice where you have to pick which constellations you want and 55 at the moment is the right number for it. We will get more devotion shrines so characters can get more devotion points at a faster rate while levelling.

27th July stream:
"Pokerkid777 :Will there be any way to skip elite straight into ultimate? Going through the main game and 2 expansions 3 times can become very tedious at times.

I do understand that concern for some of you who have been playing the game for a long time and want to level a bunch of characters up to maximum difficulty. I actually have an idea for how to have a solution to this conundrum for those of you. The programmer is looking into how doable that solution would be and how long it would take. There are a lot of factors involved here. The biggest one honestly is we don’t want to break your characters, primarily due to the attribute and skill rewards you get on Normal and Elite difficulties. When we release an expansion we’re more careful of that so the skill rewards are exclusive to Ultimate."

14th September stream:
"Overbuilt_Gaming: Any update on the 3 difficulties in campaign? You mentioned a few dev streams ago you were going to suggest a way to the team to improve on it.

No headway on that yet, because there are other priorities that we are focussing on, mainly the Shattered Realm features. As I said I do have an idea for how we could streamline it a little bit, but that has to be reviewed by the programmer and see how doable it’s going to be. How many issues it’s going to create because our concerns are regarding skipping difficulties in regards to attribute and skills rewards from quests. And we can’t simply throw those away because certain characters have already done it and can’t give you more because those characters would then have more. And actually editing quests is also kind of a mess. If we change quests too much it creates an issue where quests can end up wiped from your quest log and then we have to come up with a way to restore them and it can be a mess. Which is why it’s complicated challenge."

New Mastery, Shattered Realm, Challenge Areas, Rune Augments and Set Transmutation guys this is all sounding really nice. I hope there is a trailer that showcases all of the above. Glad there is no new skill points they really are not needed, that was a good choice along with keeping the devotion cap the same.

Well we’ve already seen some live dev streams showing most of those.

You get skill points in Ultimate in Forgotten Gods.

This is my first post in this forum. I just bought Grim Dawn 4 days ago, and Ashes of Malmouth 3 days ago, having a blast. Although I have beaten only normal and don’t know much yet about the mechanics (cause I keep creating new chars and leveling them to 20), I thought I give my 2 cents about the 3 difficulties anyway because I’m such a talkative person. :rolleyes:

When Diablo or Titan Quest added a new expansion, as soon as one entered the next difficulty the player was too strong because he had leveled in the new acts above what was planned originally without the expansion. And so it wasn’t much of a challenge. I expect the same with Grim Dawn, so I thought, at some point with the release of more expansions it would be better to reduce the amount of difficulties to just 2 and adjust the monster levels in elite. If ultimate were to keep it could have flatout max level monsters everywhere, one could hunt items throughout the whole game and not only the last act.

I think the approach Path of Exile has taken is awesome. Though also a lot of work as well, I guess? If Grim Dawn would slap a new story on elite (and new weather), and shuffle around a few locations of camps, even though no areas are gonna be changed, it would make playing the second playthrough much more interesting.

These 2 suggestions combined sound to me like they would have the most impact with the least effort. And they wouldn’t be “overwhelming”, like some players complain when faced with too much content they have to play through (everybody has to whine about something). Maybe this could be added someday in a future expansion, I’d love to see it. But as I said, I haven’t started elite yet so it’s an uneducated opinion.

Btw, I’m not disappointed to wait for an expansion, rather excited. It usually means the time is used to make it better, so I take it as good news. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slight_smile: See my quotes from the live dev streams re changing the difficulties.

GD differs from TQ and Diablo in that you don’t have to play the Ashes of Malmouth expansion before being able to move on to the next difficulty. Once you kill the final boss in Act 4 of the base game you have the option to skip AoM and go straight into Elite and the same when moving from Elite to Ultimate if that’s what you want to do.

Aside from exploring the new content, what incentives do I have to play my max level characters? I ask because after hitting 100 (which is frighteningly easy), there doesn’t feel like much of a reason to play that character. I realize a large part of ARPG’s is about farming for the gear you want but I wish there was more of an end game to go along with that farming aspect.
I feel like Diablo 3 was a train wreck but the one thing they did right was rifts and greater rifts. They were always something fresh as opposed to running the same map areas with little to no deviation.

Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75476

as you mention, farming

I wish there was more of an end game to go along with that farming aspect.
I feel like Diablo 3 was a train wreck but the one thing they did right was rifts and greater rifts. They were always something fresh as opposed to running the same map areas with little to no deviation.

not sure how this relates to heaving reached max level, and calling rifts new content is very generous. They all are basically the same, just a bit randomized, so not all that new after all.
The FG campaign will offer more new content than whatever D3 rifts do.

Apart from that, FG will also have the Shattered Realms, which kinda is GD’s take on rifts, so maybe that is what you are after.

With this new “game mode” is it going to be separate from the actual campaign itself? like the crucible? or is it within the main campaign? I skipped out on the Crucible but have bought ashes of malmouth. To my understanding mods aren’t aloud in crucible so i was curious if this would also be the case for the shattererd realm?.