Game crashes - "Assert Failed: Grim Dawn.exe" please help

hello again guys… been playing Grim Dawn AoM recently when suddenly when i enter ugdenbog game crashes and it says: Assert Failed: Grim Dawn.exe Filename: direct3dvertexdeclaration.cpp Line: 196
Expression: SUCCEEDED (hr). reinstalled the game couple of times and reinstalled directx but still game crashes. playing the 1.0.2.0 version with all DLCs in my laptop. win 10, directx 12, nvidia geforce 840 4gb. when i first played it theres no problem… only when i installed the AoM then when i reach ugdenbog the game crashes. any insight on what i should do will be appreciated. Many thanks…

EDIT4: Solution, see below.

In Game Bug - directx

Error Message from DirectX: “Application: Grim Dawn.exe Filename: direct3dvertexdeclaration.cpp (196) Expression: SUCCEEDED(hr) Message:”

Game crashes, has to be shut down manually with taskplaner.

Maybe a bug. Happend 3 or 4 times a the same place. Northeast of Coven’s Refuge in Ugdenbog. There on the east side of the area.

EDIT: Happened again, after I played some time. This time it happened just north of the Ugdenbog Riftgate. Maybe the error occurs without being dependent on some area? If what would be the case, I atm don’t know, what the trigger could be.

EDIT2: Repeats now more often. Don’t know why. Didn’t change anything.

EDIT3: Played several hours in old maps and had not problems at all. Maybe some graphical stuff is only in the new areas…

GD switches to Windows 10. Than I get this report. I can try to debug or ignore or exit it. Tab back to game gets only a black screen. Though sound seems to work. I have to restart the game. Before that I have to shut down GD in the taskmanager. After shutting down the game I get the opportunity to send in bug report. I did that twice.

Has anyone else this bug or problem?

SOLUTION: I looks like a resolution change did the trick. I don’t know why, but maybe it happened because I play at home on an separate screen… Nevertheless with that screen or on the laptop I had the same problem. A switch of resolution and the problem had gone.

System Specs: Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 i5 7300HQ with Intel 630 onboard and a dedicated Nvidia GTX1050m, 8GB Ram, 850 Evo SSD, Windwos 10

Next the that I did’t have any other problems at all. Performance seems all in all better. :slight_smile: I really like the expansion. Great job Crate.

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Grimdawn/comments/75vsnt/ashes_of_malmouth_bug_megathread/

Well, updating to 1.0.6.1 which is the latest version may help. What are you doing being so far behind?

well… uhhmm… did not download it via steam… so… that’s the only one available for download. just playin it offline. i dont think (or maybe i dont know) its possible to update it to latest version (1.0.6.0) if game is’nt on steam? or if i can… how? bummer really.

change reso fixed it? hhmmm… should try that one. tyvm… :slight_smile:

nope… changing reso didnt do the trick for me… *sigh…

If you didn’t get it from Steam or GOG then it’s an illegal copy.

Please do not tell me you are here on the game’s forum with a pirated copy.

And I mean that literally, do not tell me, just disappear until you have acquired the game via legitimate means.