GD Q&A's from FF dev stream 24.06.2022

While the dev stream was focused on Farthest Frontier it was sort of inevitable that there would also be questions asked about Grim Dawn. Here are those questions and the answers to them. Answers are given by Zantai unless otherwise stated.

NewEfty: sorry to pile in on the Grim Dawn train but is there any chance you would make a lore book pdf for Grim Dawn, maybe as a DLC?

A lore book would be pretty fun, I just don’t know where we’d find the time to do it. I think someone has compiled all the lore notes in the game already. It was a pretty big effort.

MedeaFleecestealer: Already exists on the forum and has for some time.

animatedviking: How many people are working at Crate now?

We’re at 14, so big. What a big company.

Medierra: 15 but we currently have 3 projects going on

SimplyPhy: Are all 3 projects public? E.g. Grim Dawn patches, Farthest Frontier, and…?

MedeaFleecestealer: A horror survival game and an RTS game so 4 projects.

breeches_: Are you still selling Grim Dawn? like actively getting sales

RektbyProtoss: it’s on summer sale on steam rn I think

MedeaFleecestealer: Yes, of course they are. It’s in the Steam sale atm I think.

Medierra: Yes, Grim Dawn sales have declined but we’ve still sold 400,000 units of “stuff” including the base game plus DLC. Meant to say - this year so far

Medierra: 492k copies of base game in the last 12 months

Heavy_hate: Dear developer, is there any way to play early builds of grim dawn? b14 or 17 for example?

Not officially. I think there are ways to on Steam, but we’re not officially supporting.

Nero1024x: Will you make GD2 in EU5 engine?

We are actually working on our own engine for our future games and I imagine, when the time comes, GD2 will run on that as well.

toomad2309: Can you drop any hints for what the new engine is being used to develop?

The new engine is being used to develop our RTS game.

Calvalon: Is Grim Dawn to having a different engine?

Is Grim Dawn 2 going to have a different engine. Yes, it will.

Warlord1981NL: Coming back to my earlier question: are there plans for GD2? Because if there are, I will buy this game just to give the financial support.

We would not abandon the ARPG genre, but it is not a game we’re actively developing at the moment. We are working on a new engine that Grim Dawn 2 would most likely run on, but that is progression towards that.

grumpyGryf: In what language you’re creating new engine?

Medierra: its definitely C++

grumpyGryf: why own engine instead of using unreal?

Well, Unreal is fundamentally not built for ARPG’s or RTS games. So even if we went with Unreal we would still have to make a lot of our own changes to make it work the way we want. And on top Unreal has it’s own fees and costs to use; we’d be paying Unreal pretty much for the rest of the game’s existence for using that engine. So since we’re going to have to do our own thing and we like doing things our own way we decided to make our own.

Medierra: commercial engines all sort of evolved with certain game types in mind - they can be modified to do almost anything but the further you get from their native capability, the more work is involved

GoldenGlovez: Will the new engine allow for native Linux builds?

I can’t say Linux is a priority for us. I can’t say, maybe just by virtue of how stable Linux is becoming with a bunch of modern tech it might be fine. But we’re not prioritising Linux if that’s what you’re hoping for.

6 Likes

Yes. Yes there is a way.

[How-To] Download and Install Older Versions of GD [Steam-Only]

2 Likes

Interesting little fact came out of Crate’s 2nd Farthest Frontier dev stream.

"Zenny_Xanadu: the crate secret boss is a fun one lol

Zantai: So the appearance of that boss was inspired by a Halloween costume from one of our employees. He made himself a Crate Entertainment crate for a hat, for a helmet I should say. And now that was his costume. And when we were working on Forgotten Gods I was like what if that was a boss. And it is!

snowmanplayer123: ah that’s why the name of the helm is Crate of Entertainment LuL

Zantai: That’s exactly right."

:joy:

2 Likes