Greetings from Allminoxy!

Hello Grim Dawn community!

My name is Ben Soderstrom (Allminoxy) and I’m the newest recruit to join the ranks of the Crate army! I’ve actually been around for a couple of weeks, but I’ve been lurking in the shadows, waiting for the ‘right’ moment to introduce myself. Officially, I’ve joined the team as an artist, but you can think of me as a “make stuff look good” guy, or a “make stuff gross and disgusting” guy (depending on your tastes).

Like Jalex and Zantai, I am yet another survivor of the 38 Studios Holocaust (I know, we’re a dime-a-dozen these days) After losing my job, I did what is only natural for anyone in that situation: play lots of video games and drink. Diablo 3 had just come out and I swore that even my livelihood imploding would not ruin the game for me. And then something incredible happened - the game just up and ruined itself! At first I didn’t really understand it and I kept on playing for a while, but to no avail. Around the time I was getting really pissed off at D3, a little angel disguised as Jalex floated down and told me that Crate was looking to hire an artist. Being an artist and a lover of ARPG’s I thought to myself “wow, I rather enjoy spinach!” Shortly thereafter, I spoke with Arthur which lead to him offering me a job at Crate. Well, there may have been a few other things in there somewhere, but that’s the gist of it!

Anyway, back in my 38 Studios days, I worked on the ill-fated Copernicus as an Environment artist. I made props, textures, buildings and statues, but my real passion was secretly in character design. Fortunately for me, Arthur was looking for someone who had some arcane lore in the school of characters as well as environments. At Crate, I will be making creatures, characters, items, props and basically anything else that needs getting done! Even though I loved my time at 38 Studios, the company was so big that it was hard to really connect with the team and the project completely. Crate, on the other hand has a small and personable “do it yourself” culture that is much closer to home for me. Additionally, I’m super excited to be working in a genre I love in a setting I love.

Before I go, I want to thank you all for your support in Grim Dawn. In addition to funding the game, you have also made it possible for me to get a job here, which I find to be rather awesome. So thank you, I cannot wait to help bring you the release and make this game as awesome as possible!

Finally, I would like to show you some of the stuff I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks. I’ll try to post more stuff in the future when I get the chance. Therefore, without further ado, here’s a giant spider and a carnivorous larva-worm thingy!

Until next time!

-Ben

Attachment: spider_comp_01.jpg
Attachment: worm_giant_comp_01.jpg

2 Likes

Welcome, Sir!

Great models. I really don’t like spiders, so could we just make them more friendly looking? Maybe a top hat or spiders that carry Reese’s buttercups?

Wow… these creatures look terrible, but in a good way! Nice work, Alexmonkey!

Woah, nice Spider! There has to be some spiders lurking in the dungeons of Cairn, their webs ready to trap would-be treasure seekers… awesome!

Great to have an artist on the Crate team Allminoxy, welcome indeed!! Can’t wait to see the items your imagination creates!

Welcome Allminoxy! I hope you enjoy working for Arthur and Crate! After seeing your two critters there, I am really looking forward to what else you’ve got up your sleeve! Can I ask how big those spiders are gonna be? Are we talking the size of Great Danes/small goats or more the size of cattle?
Hmm, as for the larva things they look like they’ll be squishy! It also makes me think that they might turn into something…bigger? They certainly do look like they’ll both be fun to fight :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard, Ben!

Nice work on the monsters, love the spiders espcially! Looking forward for more pics and updates on the baddies of Cairn from you in the future! :slight_smile:

Welcome Allminoxy! ^^

Oh why always with the spiders? ;n;
Aside from that, the models look great though! You seem to be a great addition to the team :slight_smile:

Hello Allminoxy, welcome aboard!!! We are VERY glad to have you here! =)

The creatures look, and I can’t stress this enough, terrific!!! Can’t wait for more updates from you!

Oh my god, you guys are going to make this game sooooooooooo awesome!!! =)

The spiders will be so big that the game world will actually be contained within them.

Dude, you’d need, like, eight monocles. Do you realize the kind of power you’d be giving them? We’re talking a seriously unbalanced monocle gap.

Welcome to the team, Allminoxy. Sorry to hear about the 38 studios stuff. I’m originally from RI, you folks got a raw deal and i’m really glad to see you ended up finding work, especially at Crate. I hope you manage to get back on your feet because of this.

Dude…every time I read something from you, it’s awesome. The evil goatee avatar, though, pushes it over the top. I’m really glad we’ve got folks like you out there making games. Seriously.

Hi Allminoxy

Such shiny monsters - will they sparkle like this in game, too, or did you polish them for these pictures? :smiley:

It wouldn’t be an ARPG without the giant spiders, and these look amazing! My girlfriend’s going to hate you for making them look so realistic and creepy :wink:

Welcome! Seems like the team is ever expanding!

Gotta admit those monsters look very, very detailed and well, polished, oiled, whatever… In a good way nonetheless. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for only showing these images after I woke up, it’s the stuff of nightmares :smiley: really nice.

Agreed! And with technology getting better and better, spiders are getting worse in games… At least a few years ago they were only vague could be a spider, could be an octopus looking things. now they even have those creepy pointy legs <_<

Please implement bugspray.

Welcome Allminoxy :slight_smile:

That is some great looking gross creatures, can’t wait to see more of your works.

Coolness, a new member to the GD team. Wouldn’t mind seeing more of you guys come to work for Crate. I’m on pins and needles for the beta to be released. The more people working on Grim Dawn, the faster it hits my PC!

GDFTW!

Looks like more fodder to my maces! Huzza! Looking great, make more and have fun doing it!

another Crate Lord to bow down and worship, looks like even though it is sad that 38 studios did bite the bullet, but if it hadn’t, Crate wouldn’t have such fantastic devs joining the ranks, this is going to be one cool game

and those spiders look like the stuff of nightmares, I think anyone who hates spiders will cringe when facing them in battle, and an ARPG wouldn’t be the same without a giant spider or two

you know, not sure if this is possible? but I would like to see at least a couple of types of spiders, one that hangs around webs (giant webs!!!) (something like the Red Back spider)

then another that goes hunting without webs, and has a far greater hunting range

webs could be used to block off some paths, while other webs you could break though and the spider could be waiting on the other side for you. now that would be really cool

would be cool to see if that is possible, the one from the pick could be the webless hunting spider, or if the red back web isn’t possible, then maybe just a traditional web would be cool

but I would love to see more updates from you if you can, and welcome to the team, HD is going to be all the more amazing with every update and new dev memeber. its going to give many ARPGS a real run for their money then outpace them for good

and with the partial randomisation, you could even set it up, to if you break though a web, there might or might not be a spider on the other side waiting for you. so there are a few ideas to make use of spiders. I really hope it could be possible and not take too much time to do, as this would really make for a more interesting and fun and terrifying game to play