Grim Dawn CCG/Deckbuilder idea

Hey guys,
Inspired by @all_zebest board game post, I have decided to share what i have so far relating to my design for a Grim Dawn CCG/Deckbuilder game, which I am not designing for profit, but rather donating as an idea to the community and to Crate, in the hopes something could come of it!

Id love the communities feedback, ideas, and even contributions. My dream would be for all of us here on the forums to collaborate and create at least the mechanical aspects of this game concept, so that any of us (hopefully Crate, but i am not expecting anything!) Could create it using either programs or even actual cards and game board, and then donate to Crate so they could do whatever they wanted with it.

So without getting too long winded, heres the bit I have so far. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND this is nowhere close to being complete, and is just the current vision I have for the game, several significant elements to it have yet to be hashed out.

I can include drawings of the playmat (game board) to help visualize, just havent done that yet.

EDIT: Due to many changes to the game as its been developed over time, I am giving this post an overhaul to update it. Below I have now posted the current, updated format of the game phases, and will continue to update each of the posts I’ve made so far in this thread to correct for any inconsistencies or omissions. I will also include a single post containing all the current Keywords. This is a work in progress that I am quite passionate about.

Ive also included a walkthrough of the first 2 turns playing in the Single Player mode, with pictures included for aid in visualization.

Grim dawn CCG;

This deckbuilding CCG pits players against eachother in 1v1 matches, wherein the players strive to eliminate each other by reducing their opponents HP to 0. All the while each player must slay Monsters to gain levels and get loot, which in turn makes the player stronger, but also adds stronger Monsters to the game. The first player whose HP hits 0 loses. The game can also be played single player, though the rules are slightly different in that mode. Co-op and Crucible are also other gameplay options, but again, with slightly different rules. To explain how all these play modes work, I first need to explain how to play the standard way (1 v 1, aka PvP).

HOW IT WORKS;

Players begin the game with 20 HP, 20 Constitution, and a 10 card deck. The cards in this deck can be any 10 cards from your Stash, but must adhere to the following specifications;

2 Common Item/Gear cards
8 level 1 Monster cards

BUT WHAT IS “MY STASH”?

Your Stash is basically your Sideboard. This is a zone outside the game where you keep all the cards you own, and pull cards from when gaining levels and building your deck. We will touch on this later.

After both players have shuffled their 10 card decks, they take turns choosing a Common level 1 gear set and a Common level 1 weapon from their Stash, and equip them.

At this point in time, players flip a coin to determine who goes first, then both players draw 3 cards. The player who goes first then begins their first turn.

PHASES OF A TURN;

1. Constitution check: Constitution is a resource similar to HP, which behaves like an auto-heal. At the beginning of each players turn, during the Constitution check phase, the game checks to see if the player took any damage during their previous turn. If that answer is no, the player restores their HP to their starting HP total, then subtracts that amount from their Constitution. If the answer is YES, however, the player will not recover any HP, and their Constitution will remain the same. Constitution can only be recovered by using certain items, and once depleted, no additional healing will be applied in this way.

2. Draw: Following the Constitution Check, the player draws a card. Cards drawn are automatically placed face-up on the table in their appropriate location (slot), unless the card drawn is an Event card. Event cards will execute various actions automatically when drawn, affecting or changing the game in different ways before being removed from the game once their effects resolve.

Players don’t hold any cards in-hand in this game. The closest thing to a hand in this game is the Inventory slots, where excess Items and Gear can be stored, face up on the game board. Items are otherwise placed in item slots (components, augments, and consumables), and Gear is placed in Gear slots. Monsters and NPCs are placed in “Character” slots. (Character is a term used to include both NPCs and Monsters). Pets are placed in Pet slots.

WHOA WHOA, WAIT A MINUTE… WHAT ARE ALL THESE SLOTS?

Slots are spaces on the game board which are designated to hold cards of a certain type. These card types are placed in their respective slots when drawn in order to keep the board clean and organized, so that both players may clearly see whats on the board at all times.

At its current stage of experimentation, I am working with max slots configured as such for each player; 7 Character slots, 4 Pet slots, 4 Gear slots, 4 Item slots, and 4 Inventory slots. This can be changed around whenever, its less important than the actual game mechanics themselves, although amounts of slots for card types does have a huge impact on the game mechanics and vice versa. Read on to see why!

SLOT PLACEMENT, FULL INVENTORY, AND SCRAPPING/STASHING

If a player’s Item/Gear slots are full, Item/Gear cards will automatically be placed in any available Inventory slot when drawn. If all Inventory slots are full when a player draws an Item or Gear card, they can do one of two things; Scrap, or Stash.

SCRAP

Some Item and Gear cards have a “Materials” section. When an Item or Gear card is Scrapped, it’s removed from the game completely (no longer accessible during the match by any means) in exchange for the indicated Materials it generates upon Scrapping. These Materials, or “Mats” for short, are indicated in the Materials section on the card, and are generally rare Components that cant be gotten any other way. Components received from Scrapping can be fitted onto Gear immediately at this time, otherwise they are removed from the match entirely.

STASH

Stashing is a lot simpler than Scrapping. If you happen to draw an Item or Gear card, but your Item, Gear, and Inventory slots are already occupied, and you dont want to Scrap it, you can choose to Stash it instead, which simply returns the card to your Stash (Sideboard).

Some Monsters and NPCs also provide loot when theyre killed. These specifics are detailed in the card text, and will generally either instruct the player to shuffle the loot into their deck, or give them the option to equip/consume it immediately. Sometimes, the player may have the option to hold the loot in one of their Inventory slots, if any are available.

DRAWING MONSTER AND NPC CARDS

Important to note is that when you draw a Monster card, it is placed in any available Character slot on your OPPONENT’S SIDE of the board(Opponent’s Territory), while NPCs are placed in any available Character slot on YOUR SIDE of the board (Your Territory). If no slots are available, the Monster or NPC card goes to the bottom of your deck. When this occurs, you do not draw again, your draw phase simply ends.

OTHER SLOTS

There are also Skill card slots. But we’ll touch on these later.

HOW DO I GET ITEMS, MONSTERS, AND NPC CARDS IN MY DECK?

To explain how decks are built over the course of the game (adding Item, Monster, and NPC cards) we must first explain Levels and Levelling.

LEVELS AND LEVELLING

As players defeat Monsters, they will gain experience (XP). Each monster, and NPC has a “Level”. This number is indicated in the upper right hand corner of the card. A Monster or NPC will provide an amount of XP to the player equal to that Monster or NPC’s Level when eliminated. IE; a level 2 monster provides 2 XP.

The XP threshold for players to gain a level is equal to the number of turns theyve taken so far. So on your first turn your XP threshold is 1. To gain a level, all you have to do is destroy a single level 1 Monster or NPC. This will net you 1 XP. On your 5th turn, however, you will have to defeat Monsters or NPCs whose accumulated Level value equals 5 (IE; a level 2 Monster/NPC and a level 3 Monster/NPC. Or five level 1 Monster/NPCs. Or one level 5 Monster/NPC. Etc).

If you defeat Monsters/NPCs whose totalled XP values exceed your XP threshold (IE; 4 XP on turn 3), you will gain a Devotion point. Devotion points are like Skill points, only they are used to unlock Devotion abilities specifically. More on Skills and Devotions later. While players retain their levels, Player XP resets every turn, always beginning each turn at 0, regardless of player level.

OKAY, SO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I LEVEL UP?

The first time a player gains a level, they get to choose their base class and get 2 Skill points. Skill points are used to unlock Skill cards. Each Skill card has a level, and when you first gain a level you can unlock a level 1 and a level 2 Skill card, or 2 level 1 skill cards. After gaining their first level, players only get 1 Skill point per level when they level up. More on Skill cards later.

Next, the player chooses from their Stash any combination of 2 Level 2 Item and/or NPC cards, and 2 level 2 Monster cards, and shuffles them into their deck (a total of 4 cards). The Level and # of Item/NPC, and Monster cards chosen when gaining a level must be equal to the player’s Level. For instance, at level 5, the player must add to their deck any combination of 5 level 5 item and/or NPC cards, as well as 5 level 5 Monster cards (a total of 10 cards).

Once a player has chosen their base class after gaining their first level, each subsequent level gained will provide them with 1 Skill Point, allowing them to either unlock 1 new skill card equal to, or below, their level- OR empower a skill card theyve already unlocked, but not both. Items, Monsters, and NPCs are always added to decks each level as well, in order to create a constantly evolving board presence that grows in threat as the players get stronger.

Also, at level 10, the player gets the option to dual-class. If they choose to, they will then get their choice of 1 unique dual-class card, which exhibits powerful effects on gameplay, designed to close out the match. But more on that later!

OKAY, HOW DO I FIGHT THESE SUMBITCHES?

This brings us back to the phases of a turn. If you remember, we sort of branched off after covering the 2nd turn phase (Draw). To answer this question we will have to go to the next turn phase;

1. Combat phase: After the Draw phase is concluded, the Combat phase begins. All Cooldowns on face-down Active Skills are checked at this time, and if found to be 0, are flipped back face-up (ready to use).

Combat deals with the “Territory” of both players. Territory is the term used to define a player’s side of the game board, and plays a huge role in combat mechanics, which are a little different in this game than in its peers. Players dont technically control Monsters, and very little control is implemented in regard to the NPCs. Each Monster, NPC, Pet, and Player has stats. These stats are what determine their flexibility and functionality in the Combat phase. These stats are;

Power: The amount of damage the character’s basic attacks deal.

Speed: The overall speed of the character. A higher number means theyre faster, which means their actions take priority first during the Combat phase.

Defensive Ability (DA): Determines a characters probability to block/dodge/evade. If this number is higher than the OA of whatever is targeting the character, the character will block/dodge/evade, negating all effects completely.

Offensive Ability (OA): Determines a characters probability to hit. If this number is higher than the target’s Defensive Ability (DA), the attack or skill will hit successfully.

Armor rating: How much damage gets mitigated from damaging attacks and skills that target the character and hit successfully.

HP: the health of the character. When it reaches 0, it dies and is removed from the game. If its a Monster, its placed in the Shattered Realm pile instead.

ALRIGHT, BUT HOW DOES THE FIGHTING ACTUALLY WORK?

Combat takes place almost autonomously, with the character who has the highest Speed value going first. Characters cannot have a Speed thats less than 0, so if a card or effect would reduce a Character’s Speed below 0, it reduces that Character’s Speed to 0 instead. A character with 0 Speed takes action last. If 2 Characters are tied for Speed, Monsters always go first, then NPCs, then players.

Monsters always attack the player whose Territory they are on. They cant attack NPCs or eachother directly, unless certain cards or effects enable this.

NPC target priority is Monster cards, and they will automatically attack any Monster card in adjacent Character slots. If Monster cards are in both adjacent slots to an NPC card (one on the right, and one on the left), the NPC will always attack the Monster on the right side first.

NPCs can also attack the opponent’s NPCs, but will only be able to do this if there are no Monster cards in their Territory. Some NPCs also have Active skills built into them, giving the player a little more control over their behavior in combat, and allowing for some tactical depth.

Players can target Monsters and NPCs in either territory freely with their attacks and skills (unless otherwise prevented by a card or effect), but cannot target their opponent directly with attacks and skills unless there are no Monsters in their Territory, and the opponent has no NPCs in their Territory. In other words, you cant attack or use skills on your opponent directly unless they have no NPCs in their territory, and you have no Monsters in your territory.

By default, each player can only attack a single time on their turn unless the effect of a card allows otherwise. After attacking, the player flips their Weapon card face-down, as though its on Cooldown. Also, each player can only use 1 Skill Card of each type during their turn, unless the effect of a card allows otherwise. Skill Cards generally have a Cooldown, and are flipped face-down after use to indicate they are on Cooldown. The backside of each Skill Card has a number on it, which indicates the number of Cooldown Coins to be placed on it. At the beginning of each turn, 1 Cooldown Coin is removed. When 0 remain, the Skill Card flips face-up and can be used again. Once all characters have taken action, the Combat phase ends, and the Level Up phase begins.

1. Level Up: At the beginning of this phase, the game checks if the active player gained enough XP to Level Up. If the player did, it’s at this time that he or she assigns the skill point and chooses cards from his or her Stash to add to their deck.

2. Gear phase: During this phase, players can equip different Gear they have acquired during the game, and add/remove Augments and Components. Players can only equip 1 card of each Gear type per turn, IE: 1 Weapon/Shield/Off-hand, 1 Armor, 1 Accessory, and 1 Relic.

Due to limited board space, and in an attempt to simplify the game and slim down on its already sufficient complexity, Armor Sets are grouped together on a single card as a Gear Set. There are no separate Armor Gear cards for set Boots, Pants, Shoulders, Gloves, Chests, or Helmets, in other words. As a result of this, Armor Gear that are sets in GD will be represented on a single card in this game and are therefore inherently more powerful, and thus, more rare. Armor Gear Sets are given the Legendary rarity for this reason.

1. End of turn.
7 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing your game. You seem to have thought abut everything and it’s great.

Seriously well thought out. Lot to take in but definitely see the scope of it. I’ve never been a big CCG player, so my knowledge of game styles and playing isn’t very versed, so I’ve got no real clue how this would play.

Well its not even in a solid testing state yet, i havent tried it myself. These are just the brainstorm ideas on how it would work.

The board layout (ROUGH sketch, spartan just to show specs) might look like this;

Looking at this, while all cards drawn are placed on the board (or if thats not possible, get placed on the bottom of your deck), there really aren’t any “hands”, however the Inventory slots can sort of act as a hand thats face-up on the table.

Im going to get more in depth with diagrams as i work on this more, but for now i may run a test using index cards as place holders for actual cards.

The beauty of this design is, if its done the way I envision it, it will be able to be played single player as well, which speaks to the spirit of Grim Dawn as a whole what with it being a game thats often played single player

1 Like

That’s awesome. I am going to point out that one person who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Hiya) is going to tell you there aren’t enough Pet slots. :smiley:

This is DEFINITELY a nice little caveat to any CCG. I might actually play more CCGs if they were.

1 Like

Got a little more brewed on the Shattered Realm side…

DECK SIZE, AND SHATTERED REALM;

There will need to be a max deck size in order to test what I have in mind for the Shattered Realm aspect of this game. For testing purposes, im going to make it 30.

THE SHATTERED REALM POOL

As monsters are defeated, rather than being put back into the players deck, they are placed aside in a special area known as the “Shattered Realm” pool.

Additionally, during the draw phase if a player’s deck runs out of cards and their opponent’s deck still has cards, the player must choose a random Monster card from their Stash and place it in the Shattered Realm pool.

Lastly, if a player’s deck exceeds a total of 30 cards, but their opponent still has a deck of less than 30 cards, rather than drawing during the draw phase, the player must choose a random Monster card from their Stash and place it in the Shattered Realm pool.

ENTERING THE SHATTERED REALM

Players enter the Shattered Realm under 2 possible conditions. Players also only enter the Shattered Realm together, so even if one player meets the conditions to enter, if their opponent does not meet the conditions, the player wont enter the Shattered Realm. Only until BOTH players meet the conditions to enter the Shattered Realm will said entry take place.

Upon entering the Shattered Realm, both players have their Character slots wiped- this means any Monster and/or NPCs that are occupying those slots are removed from play. Monsters removed in this way are placed in the Shattered Realm pool.

Next, if any player has a deck, the game will search for all Monster cards in those decks and place them in the Shattered Realm pool. Then, those decks are removed from the game and the first turn of Shattered Realm begins.

THE SHATTERED REALM EXPERIENCE

Each turn in the Shattered Realm has a purpose, and that purpose is to try to close out the game one way or another. While in the Shattered Realm the phases of a turn are slightly modified, they are;

1. Modifier phase: This phase replaces the Draw phase. As this phase begins, one of several random modifiers are chosen and activated. Modifiers are universal effects that create a more threatening game environment for both players. These can range from -2 Total speed to all Players and NPCs, to Monsters deal double damage, and so on.

At the beginning of each turn, a new Modifier is added, in addition to any that were previously activated. Once this Modifier has been activated, the second turn phase begins.

1. Spawn phase: During the Spawn phase, the entire Shattered Realm pool is shuffled together, and each players Character slots are filled with random Monster cards from the Shattered Realm pool.

2. Combat phase: Combat remains the same. Monsters defeated in the Shattered Realm are shuffled back into the Shattered Realm pool.

3. Loot phase: While in the Shattered Realm, players cannot Level Up. To simulate endgame content in the actual video game, characters hitting max level at this point are most often interested in hunting the best possible gear for their builds, which so many times is most easily farmed in Shattered Realm.

As a result of this, to stay as true to form as possible to the game, Im playing with the idea that players can roll (literally) for loot during the Loot phase!

ROLL? BUT I DONT DO ECSTACY!!!

Ha ha ha! No no, silly- not THAT kind of rolling! Im talking about rolling dice! Yes, thats right! Dice!

During the Loot phase, the player will roll a 20 sided die in a gamble to acquire top tier loot, or rare items, from their stash. The number that comes up will determine the type of loot. 1 - 15 being rare items, and 15 - 20 being top tier Legendary Gear.

Once the number is rolled, the player will choose a card of the designated type at random from those in their Stash, and add it to their Inventory. If a 15 - 20 is rolled and the player is not happy with the result, they may opt to remove the gear from the game and attempt another roll. This can only be done once per turn.

1. Gear phase: The Gear phase remains the same.

2. End of turn.

Players continue to take turns until one player loses.

1 Like

To get extra ambitious, im looking at Crucible mode as a 2 player co-op experience similar to Shattered Realm, but where both players play side to side with an extended game board (everything on one side), and work together to defeat waves of monsters until reaching the end.

Ill get to that later though, i want to work on fine tuning what i already have, and start designing the cards and playtesting them.

1 Like

more pet slots can be added for sure, but i first need to playtest to know if thats going to even be necessary/too much stuff going on, or not.

If the game was created as an app or a program, thats one thing, but if youre playing this in paper (using actual cards, and having to calculate everything yourself each turn) it might be overkill. Hell, what i have already might be overkill. Im trying to keep it simple (i have a really hard time doing that). Only playtesting will show if thats the case or not.

But, if i can build it right, like how i envision it, and the cards essentially operate themselves for the most part (with the exception of players and their skills, and some NPCs and/or Pets), then maybe i can change around the slot amounts.

None of that is in stone by any means, theyre basically random numbers i felt might work best. The evidence will be in the playtesting.

1 Like

Nice idea!

And you seemed to found a way to make constitution stat useful :smile:

2 Likes

Lol yes! Believe me i have been dying to do something… ANYthing, with Constitution. I love the idea of it, to be honest, which is why i wanted to make a point to include it in the game design in a meaningful way.

sample Monster card (budget playtest version lol)

Another sample, this time a blank card budget prototype digital using MS Paint

Okay so I literally just threw this together. Don’t judge. :stuck_out_tongue:

grimdawnccg

1 Like

Dude this is fucking sick!!!

The only thing its missing is the Monster Level. But god, thats awesome man how did you make that?

1 Like

Frak. I completely forgot the monster level! HA!!!

As to how. Ancient Secret. I made a pact with an aetherial. :stuck_out_tongue: Actually it’s sort of in the ballpark of my work. Again, though, this was a quick mockup. I think the stat block needs a better look and other things would be tweaked. But hey, you’re putting all the work into coming up with a rule set, I thought a little visual aide might stir the creative pot.

1 Like

I’ve absolute no Idea how easy it is to mod it in(and Crates stance on this), but for me such ideas and concepts sounds quite often perfect for a mod for the Tabletop Simulator.

2 Likes

Oh yeah it can be touched up and everything but im just saying, for a quick mock up to playtest and stuff (and to have something that feels real) that is really great stuff!

The stat block is liable to change in size depending on the characters procs, abilities, or loot but Walking Dead doesnt have any procs, abilities, or loot so it works fine for that example. A greater challenge would be Archon Barthollem, as his card is much wordier. Also a challenge for me is devising terminology for game mechanics to reduce the wordiness on cards. For instance, the below card is way too wordy;

Rotting Emberguard
Level 2
Uncommon Monster - Aether Corruption
Total speed: 2
Dodge: 0
Block: 1
Attack: 1
POWER: 1
HP: 3
PROC: At the beginning of the combat phase, if Rotting Emberguard has been on the board for 1 turn cycle, it gets +3 to Total Speed, Attack, and POWER this turn.
PROC: When Rotting Emberguard dies, it deals 2 damage to you and each adjacent Character

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a lot of verbage to get on a single card. Maybe the main stat block with dodge, block attack, etc can be a graphic ‘wheel’ of sorts to give room for the verbage that may be necessary for procs.

EDIT: Maybe something like this. Where the basic stat block is standardized and the ‘ticks’ represent how many points in each ts/dodge/block/armor/attack.

grimdawnccg1

1 Like

Dude, youve got it man!! Thats perfect!

Also, total speed can just be “speed”.

Im going to also work on an array of keywords for mechanics that will help in reducing the wordiness, and basically sum up many interactions in one or two words.

EDIT: also, theres really no need for both dodge and block. I’ve decided to replace them with DA, and changed Attack rating to OA.

My concern with this change was that cards, and overall gameplay, would suffer from a loss of flavorful mechanic interactions. A friend then helped me to realize that doesnt have to be the case.

As i continue to work on developing keywords for abilities, traits, and triggered effects (procs), i will be evaluating monsters and NPCs, skills and Devotions, to design them so that there will be no loss of flavor, despite simplifying what felt to me like a slightly bloated gambit of defense stats on the cards ive made so far.

Accompanying the DA/OA change, I’m introducing terminology “countered” as a designator for when attacks and skills that target a character are dodged, evaded, or blocked. I am also adding new terms, “the Gauntlet”, for the middle 3 Character slots, and “Territory” to describe a side of the game board. Finally, the first of many Keywords, “Stun”.

Stun: A character that is stunned can’t act during the Combat phase. This means they can’t attack or use Activated skills. Procs on stunned characters will still take effect if the proper conditions are met, however.

An example of these additions on a card might be Targo’s Hammer Devotion;

Targo’s Hammer
Tier 2 Devotion
Bound To: Toggled Skill
Each time an enemy attack or skill targeting you is Countered, put a Devotion coin on Targo’s Hammer. Then, if there are 3 or more Devotion coins on Targo’s Hammer, remove them all and deal 2 damage to any Monsters in the Gauntlet on your Territory. Monsters damaged this way are stunned.

1 Like

KEYWORDS;

Keywords are terms that are used to describe various game mechanics and card interactions. A list of the ones Ive designed so far is below;

Shred: Shred is a keyword that denotes a particular amount of reduction to character stats until the end of the turn. It is generally preceded by the stat type its reducing, and followed by the value said stat is to be reduced by. IE; DA Shred: 3.

Absorb: Absorb negates a set amount of damage for the duration of its effect, in the same way that Armor functions. Absorb affects remaining damage after damage reductions due to Armor have taken place.

Stun: A character that is stunned can’t act during the Combat phase. This means they can’t attack or use Activated skills. Procs on stunned characters will still take effect if the proper conditions are met, however.

Freeze: Freeze works just like Stun, with the only difference being that a Monster or NPC thats Frozen is susceptible to cards and skills with the “Shatter” keyword.

Shatter: A card or skill that has Shatter has the capability of destroying a Monster or NPC thats Frozen or Petrified in a single attack. Any amount of damage dealt to a Monster or NPC thats Frozen or Petrified by a character or skill with Shatter is enough to destroy it.

Deploy: Cards with the Deploy keyword have Procs that trigger upon the card entering play.

Engage: This keyword is used to describe procs that take effect when a character initiates an attack or skill on a target.

Impact: The Impact Keyword is used to describe Procs that trigger at the time an attack or skill hits its target(s) successfully.

Whiff: Whiff effects trigger when an attack or skill misses its target

Retaliation: Effects that trigger when the character sustains a hit.

Defy: Defy expressly concerns a proc which prevents a character death when they would otherwise be destroyed.

Deathstrike: An effect which triggers upon death.

Knockdown: Affecting only Monsters and NPCs, the Knockdown keyword is used in situations to describe one or more Monster/NPCs being removed from play and placed on the bottom of their owner’s deck.

Double-cast: A skill-specific keyword affecting only Skill cards. Players can activate Skill cards with Double-cast twice in a single turn.

Multi-Strike: A keyword used to designate the number of times the card attacks or deals damage in a single turn. This keyword is generally preceded by a variable (X) and followed by a root stat divided by a set number, always rounding down. This set number is referred to as Multi-strike’s “Intensity”. Multi-strike will most commonly read as “X Multi-strike, X = Speed ÷ 2” or “X Multi-strike, X = OA ÷ 3”, etc. The value for X is how many times the card attacks or deals damage that turn.

Lifesteal: This keyword is used to indicate a set amount of HP that is restored each time damage is dealt by a character or skill. The amount of HP restored is relative to the amount of damage dealt, so for a value of “1/2”, it would be half the damage dealt by the affected character or skill, rounded down

Brandish: A gear-specific ability or effect, provided when first equipping that piece of gear.

Bolster: A gear-specific ability or effect, provided while that piece of gear is equipped

CDR: Cooldown Reduction is a number that reduces all Active cooldowns on skills.

Disrupt: A card with Disrupt can be used to interrupt another card or skill being used, effectively countering it. As a frame of reference, cards with Disrupt are similar to a counterspell in Magic: the Gathering, and are the only cards that can be used on the opponents turn during the combat phase.

Ranged: Cards with Ranged dont trigger any Retaliation effects. Also, Monsters in your territory that have Ranged cannot be attacked or targeted directly if there is a Monster without Ranged in your territory.

Threat: Characters with Threat must be destroyed before players can target any other Characters.

Trap: A character thats trapped cant attack, unless it has Ranged.

Mobilize: Cards with the Mobilize keyword will cause Monster cards in character slots to switch territories. NPCs are unaffected. To Mobilize, there needs to be at least one Monster/NPC on a character slot in the opponents territory. Using the skill will resolve the skill effects on the targeted Monster/NPC, then it will cause all Monster cards on character slots in the opponents territory to move onto character slots in your territory and vice versa. If an NPC prevents the movement of a Monster in this way, that Monster is considered to be under the effects of Knockdown, and is placed on the bottom of it’s owners deck.

Armor Piercing: Cards with Armor Piercing disregard a target’s Armor rating altogether, dealing damage to that target as though their Armor rating was 0.

Application: An effect thats triggered by applying a Component or Augment to its targeted item type.

Disarm: A player-specific effect that causes the player its targeting to unequip their weapon

Unhand: A Gear-specific effect that triggers when the Gear becomes unequipped.

Familiar Ground: Characters with this keyword indicate a specified area of the game board (IE; Right Flank, Left Flank, or Gauntlet). These Characters will attempt to move to any open slots in the specified area on the game board at the beginning of the player’s Constitution check phase each turn. While not occupying a slot in their Familiar Ground, these Characters can’t take any action.

Genesis: Cards with Genesis create other specified cards at the beginning of each of their owner’s turns. Cards created are created in the same territory as the card with Genesis. If there is no room for those cards on the game board, Genesis has no effect.

Cumulative Genesis: Like with Genesis, Cumulative Genesis creates other specified cards each turn, in accumulating amounts relative to the increment thats specified. IE; A card may read “Cumulative Genesis: 2 Plague Walkers”. After this card is deployed, at the start of its owner’s next turn, the card would create 2 Plague Walkers. Then, on its owner’s NEXT turn, it would create 4 Plague Walkers, and on the following turn it would create 6 Plague Walkers. A card with Cumulative Genesis cannot create more than 6 cards. Cumulative Genesis will only create as many cards as can fit in their appropriate slots, so if, at time of Genesis, there are only 3 open character slots in the territory, even if Cumulative Genesis is at 6, it will only create 3 cards, as there are only 3 available slots for the created cards to occupy. If there is no room for those cards on the game board, Cumulative Genesis has no effect.

Gambit: Cards with Gambit have effects that trigger at the start of their owner’s Draw phase. After these effects trigger, the card itself is considered as though its on Cooldown until the start of its owner’s next turn. This means Monsters and NPCs with Gambit will not participate in attacks during the Combat phase, or be able to activate any other skills. The benefit of this, however, is that cards with Gambit can deal damage and use skills outside of the Combat phase, effectively being “faster” than cards without Gambit. This is similar to Haste in MTG, and Charge in Hearthstone.

Quest: A card with the Quest keyword will proc a reward (one-time effect) when the indicated conditions are met. The one-time effect of meeting these conditions is referred to as “Completion”. If the card with Quest is for some reason no longer on the battlefield when you meet the conditions for Completion, you do not get the rewards. The card with Quest must be in play at the time of Completion in order for you to reap the benefits.

Stalk: A Monster-specific keyword describing the behavior of a Monster. Each turn, at the beginning of the Constitution check phase (start of the turn), a Monster with Stalk will move to any open Character slot in the current player’s territory. When deciding which character slot to move into, the monster will prioritize open slots adjacent to NPCs. If there are no open slots adjacent to NPCs, the monster will randomly choose an open slot in the current player’s territory. If there are no open slots in the current players territory, the Monster will move into any other open character slot in it’s own territory. If there are no other open character slots anywhere on the board, nothing happens and the turn progresses as normal.

Ascend: An NPC/Monster specific keyword, cards with Ascend transform into more powerful versions of themselves when destroyed. Some cards can transform (Ascend) multiple times. The number of times a card can Ascend is indicated on the card as “Ascend: 2”, for example.

Isolate: Monster/NPC specific Keyword indicating effects that trigger whenever the Monster/NPC with Isolate becomes the only Character in the player’s Territory.

Stampede: Monster specific keyword, describing its behavior. At the beginning of the Combat phase, a Monster with Stampede thats in your territory will automatically move to any unoccupied slot adjacent to the closest NPC in your territory, dealing an amount of damage to that NPC equal to the Monster’s Stampede value multiplied by the number of character slots traversed in order to become adjacent to that NPC. IE; a Monster with “Stampede: 2” that moves 3 character slots to reach its target NPC will deal 6 damage to that NPC, if successfully hit.

Suppress: A card with Suppress is capable of damaging multiple targets. To do this 2 factors must be met. First, the targets must be adjacent to each-other. Second, the damage dealt to the initial target must be great enough to exceed its total Armor and HP. If it is, the attacking character will then assign the excess damage to the adjacent target. If the damage is great enough to exceed the Armor and HP of this second target, the attacking character chooses a third adjacent target (if there is one) which will take the remaining excess damage, and so on.

Resistance: A card can be Resistant to various damage types. Those types being Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid, Pierce, Bleed, Vitality, Aether, Physical, and Chaos. When a card has Resistance to a damage type, cards and effects of that damage type cannot deal damage to it.

Resistance Reduction: A card or effect that has Resistance Reduction will bypass the effect of Resistance. This means if a card has Resistance to Fire, a card or effect with Fire Resistance Reduction will essentially nullify the Resistance to Fire, allowing cards that deal Fire damage to deal damage as normal.

Reflect: Damage dealt to a Character with Reflect is instead redirected back at its source.

Vanquish: A card with Vanquish can destroy Monsters and NPCs in a single hit, so long as at least 1 point of damage is dealt. This point of damage must make it through Armor and Absorption to actually deal a point of damage to the Monster or NPC’s HP to destroy it.

Pass-through: A Skill-specific keyword, which enables the Skill to hit linear targets in both Territories when executed.

Disengage: A keyword similar to Mobilize, Disengage cards will cause all Monster cards in your Territory to move into the Opponent’s Territory. Any Monster cards unable to move due to Slots being occupied are considered Marked.

Awaken: An NPC and Monster-specific keyword, cards with Awaken will be considered as though they are on Cooldown (unable to be used or participate in Combat) until the designated conditions of their Awakening are met. This will read as follows; Awaken: End of turn, or, Awaken: Start of Combat Phase, or, Awaken: Skill use, etc.

Rescue: An NPC-specific keyword, NPCs with Rescue will reward the player with a bonus if they survive an entire turn cycle from when they enter play.

1 Like