Grim Dawn Expansion Development News

No. TQIT’s 4th Act might have been slightly longer than the others, but nowhere near 40-50% of the base game.

reminds me of the death gate cycle books. to avoid spoilers to it as much as i can. the end is great. it isn’t about victory. it is about survival.

Can I has Necro?

Link to original artwork

How must longer must we wait?

Until it’s ready!

You make Marsman cry. :cry:

Makes me cry a bit too Marsman61, but I’d rather the devs get the expansion to the standard they want rather than them rush it out and then loads of people complain that it’s unfinished, buggy, this doesn’t work, that doesn’t work, etc, etc, etc. When they have definite news to tell us they will, until then be patient. :slight_smile: It’ll be worth waiting for.

The story of Grim Dawn is that you’ve already lost and are now faced with impossible forces executing their will upon your world. It was always going to be about the struggles of survivors in this new reality and their efforts to reclaim what’s left.

We have the materials/lore to be telling this story for a very long time, should we choose to. Will it end any time soon? Not very likely. Certainly not within an expansion or two.

Can’t speak for everyone, But that is what I want. People call Grim Dawn the game Diablo 3 should have been so it’s clear crate knows what they are doing. I know the wait sucks but you have to let them work their magic, I’d wait an extra year easy if the expac was packed with more lore and hidden content

This is what i’m looking for! I love the hidden gems you find in this game: the demon disguised as a little girl, the indiana jones woman who is actually a heavy hitter…if i could have 10x more of THAT stuff hidden throughout the world, I’d be one happy guy :smiley:

Remember also they have to plan around other action RPGs. The main BIG A-RPGs all have big expansion plans this year, D3 with the Necromancer, Path of Exile with expansion 3.0 Fall of Oriath and obviously Grim Dawn. If they were to release around the same time as one of those then they are going to screw over their own playerbase, who, like myself, probably play all 3 of these games.

We are half way through Q2 now, so I am hoping the main post gets updated in the next few weeks with a more informative planned date of release as “in Q2/Q3” is far too vague and looks to be a little optimistic.

to Blizzard… Adding one class= Big Expansion :rolleyes:

Yes indeed, but when compared to how stale the game has been for 5+ seasons now, one class feels like a big expansion for D3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point. Do you know the release dates (some estimates at least) of the D3 and PoE expansions?

The current Legacy leagues finish May 29th, 3.0 Beta is likely to start around June 7th. Beta then runs for approx. 5-6 weeks so potential release i guess end of July if all goes to plan.

As for D3 they haven’t given away much at all but the Beta is currently under way, the current season is due to finish early July, so they might potentially clash with PoE.

I was sort of looking forward to Grim Dawn now to give a solid few months of exclusive play before anything else but that doesn’t seem likely.

So you’re saying GDX should be released in September to prevent clash with D3 and PoE?
Seems logical. I can only agree with this reasoning.

Well I think GD should ultimately be released when the team are happy with the finished product, but I do believe other big releases that occupy the same player base should have some influence on the final release date.
Sooner than later would work for me, but more stable, robust and less bugs also works for me too. Late August/Early September seems the most likely scenario.

Normally I would agree with you but you are comparing apples to oranges with this line of thinking imo. Crate is not trying to compete with anyone as their game and subsequent expansion is well under the price of a “AAA” game. If someone can afford to buy “AAA” game/expansions then there is no reason they cannot buy the grim dawn expansion. If the grim dawn expansion cost $40-$60 then I could understand wanting to wait to release it because of other titles.

I don’t think price is really relevant, PoE is free to play and many times more popular in terms of active players. The reason why timing of release is important is simply because of the shared genre, I’m not comparing any of them at all. If all 3 of these expansions/additional content releases were all around the same week, what do you think that would do for the active ARPG player population of these games who are most likely looking to play all 3 upon release? Crate might not be “trying” to compete with anybody but they WILL be competing for active players, without question.

agreed, it would be interesting to know just how much overlap there really is however.

I for one have no intention to ever play D3 or PoE again. I could be the rule or I could be the exception, no idea.

Right now Crate needs to finish the expansion first, depending on when that is, this could be a non-issue to begin with. If they collide, then they need to think about the implications of that :wink:

I can understand your reasoning but at the same time shake me head. Active players is not what grim dawn is about as its a single player game at its core. If said player enjoyed grim dawn then they will buy the expansion at some point even if they wait to do so. There is no competitive gameplay aside from those who speedrun grim dawn.

Isn’t that basically the level of competitive game play in all of the aforementioned games though? Whether it’s speed running GRs or Maps/Bosses.
I do however agree about players who liked Grim Dawn will still buy the expansion even if they wait a little before actually playing it.