Grim Dawn Expansion Development News

While it’s really no secret on the internet, sometimes it helps to spread the message in as many ways as possible. It is a fact that Grim Dawn’s first expansion is actively in development and it is coming this year!

You can catch up on all the news on our Development Updates (Expansion updates started with #102)

The latest Grim Misadventure is always pinned here as well, with a new dev update posted every two weeks (typically on Mondays).

[Expansion FAQ]

How much will the expansion cost?
Despite the absolutely massive amount of content heading your way, Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth will be priced at a modest $17.99.

When is the expansion coming?
The expansion is slated to release October 2017.

Will there be new masteries?
Yes! Two in fact, which nearly doubles the total number of class combinations! You can look forward to the esteemed Inquisitor and the enigmatic Necromancer.

Will there be a new chapter of the story?
Absolutely! We are preparing two massive new chapters of Grim Dawn’s ongoing tale of the vestiges of humanity struggling against their conquerors. With the Aetherial threat still looming, you will travel to many new locations alongside Inquisitor Creed and the Black Legion. With new locations come many new foes, dungeons and factions.

Will there be an increased Level cap?
Yes. You can look forward to another 15 levels as the level cap is increased to 100. This also means hundreds of powerful new items.

Will there be an increased Devotion cap?
Yes, you can also look forward to 14 new Constellations with a Devotion Cap increased to 55.

What are some of the new features coming with the expansion?
We have exciting things planned for Grim Dawn, the biggest of which is for sure to be the upcoming Illusion System.

New high level items will also feature Skill Modifiers.

You can also look forward to an expanded Personal and Transfer Stash!

To learn more about the expansion, visit the Game Guide.

Thanks alot for the hard work, Crate. Hopefully, the expansion will be a financial success, and help you make a lot of new games in the future! (including some sequels, ahem… :wink: )

Thanks for putting all this information in one place!

Nothing new to add to the list¿? Lazy Devs :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

For real man! :rolleyes:

bet they add empowered legendaries…its gonna be a thing!

Looking forward to it! :smiley:

The list is interesting and promising, too bad we unluckily see any improvements of game’s engine (maybe Vulkan API support or something else to speed up the game in moments are almost unplayable (drop to 25-35 FPS from comfortable 60-120 FPS) now even on powerful rigs).

Thank you very much Crate !

Some of the bits I put aside from the streams and such…

-14 new devotion constelations, mostly in regards to the 5 ancient Arkovian deities. They’re across all tiers of the devotions
—T1 constelations are called Stag, Wretch, Quill and Toad
—T2 Murmur - Mistress of Rumors, Staff of Rattosh, Alladrah’s Phoenix, Typhos the Jailor of Souls, Bard’s Harp

-Level cap raised to 100, not being applied retroactively. Those having farmed tons of XP as lvl85 won’t get their xp adjusted to a new lvl accordingly

-2 new masteries. Both we have already encountered ingame. First known is Inquisitor enabling dual gunslinging and various elemental support through secret Inquisitor devices.
—The second mastery has some aether, summoning…but isn’t a Necromancer. Guessing a “witch” of sorts

-New legendary items

-Expansion region stars the Underbog and the region of Malmouth. It has 2 new city hubs with quests. This area is accesable north of Burrwitch City riftgate. Just go across the bridges and keep going. Currently there is a burning blockade, but that will go away.

-Tons of new (QoL) features

-There was mention of some expansion of the concept regarding illusion potions. The potions you get with the Loyalist DLC. This introduces some form of transmogrification. Zantai mentioned this during a stream and said there would be only a limited amount of transmog possibilities. How this will develop further is yet to be seen.

-More devotion points to spend. No idea yet how many.

-1 new Rogolyova dungeon

-Size of shared/private stash increases. Private stash will get additional tabs

-2nd expac: This depends on how well the first one will sell. The first xpac was part of the Kickstarter, a possible second is up in the air.

-Crate is also working on another project in the Unity engine. Could this be a strategic kind of game that Medierre mentioned he would like to make some day as well?

I only experience 12-15fps in Port Valbury. Everywhere else my game still runs 70-90fps. make sure to clean up your pc regularly. many people, unknowingly, pick up a lot of junk that slows down pc processes when browsing the internet. It can also be due to left behind junk when uninstalling and reinstalling other programs over time.

Thanks for these infos! :smiley:

Level recaps always put me off. Maybe one of these days devs and players will rediscover the joys of horizontal progression. Meanwhile I am not too excited about the expansion. I don’t see the need for a recap when areas and mobs scale to your present level, when you can just start a new toon if you are a vertical progression lover. Where’s the point? I fail to see what it adds to the actual gameplay. There we go, yet another year of rebalancing, nerf this, buff that, iron that bug… sigh.

not sure why you think all you can do is grind higher levels.

Obviously the expansion adds new areas, quests, mobs, items, skills, masteries. Feel free to start a new char using a mastery you have not played 10 times already and that can explore areas you have not been before…
No one says you have to stay in the vanilla areas with an existing char and grind to level 100

that Titan quest moment when u went down the stairs and entered the underworld for first time was sick… I look forward to that same feeling again in the expac…:rolleyes:

now let the waiting games begin… plus the coming misad should be great…:stuck_out_tongue:

Next Grim Misadventure: Expansive Legendary Arsenal 2 :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyways, I´m really excited about the new hints concerning the expansion :slight_smile:

15 higher level cap ???

So I think keeping farming gear right now is no longer useful.
Currently, the legendaries are at 65ish, the better ones are going to replace these. :undecided:

My PC is always OK because i’m experienced user (hardware reviewer, PC service engineer). GD is running for me @ 80-120FPS (Vsync ON) at most locations but when there are 10+ mobs around there are giant FPS drops. All of it because on engine and seems devs can’t upgrade it in way we need…

Interesting to see their (Crate’s) project with Unity (not a fan of this game engine but it has many good features). Maybe they will port GD to it and we will see 120FPS everywhere in game no matter of what? :slight_smile: Dreams, dreams…

I would love to pre-order the xpack already. Please Crate, just make it possible :slight_smile:

Interesting… my main concern right now is the story, though. You already mentioned the second expansion, which means the plot is still unfinished even with the addition of the first one.

Now, I have no doubt it will sell well, however, what will happen, if the story hangs in the air?