Grim Dawn's Loot Filter

What I like/works well:
1st column of the filter is an easy and effective way to control loot level. Works fine with the exception of “MI” and “rare” having that weird overlap, so you can’t filter out “double magic affix” MIs because they are still “rare”.
But for having a few simple checkmarks that are easy to figure out/explain, they work well.

What I dislike:
The other 3 columns do not reflect how you collect gear in GD, or why you collect it.

3 reasons to gather gear:

• For the character you are playing right now
  • For (several) other alt character(s)
  • For selling greens for cash
    Most of the time, for me, all three of those modes are going at the same time.
    Often I am happy to find something that I don’t even have a character for, yet, as it gives me a reason to make one.

For those purposes, selecting by item type or damage type is entirely pointless. If I select anything there, it will filter out most of the best items I could find.
Formidable Pants of Vitality? Dream item, but I’d never see it, if I change any setting in column 2 or 3.

4th column leaves the biggest question mark, because the stats are so generic, they’ll just show up on pretty much any rare item.

Simply sorting/filtering by any of the keywords on an item will never be sufficient.

On the topic of selling greens:
In PoE and (as far as I understand) in Last Epoch, you can filter much more strictly, because selling items is mostly pointless. You only want to pick up and vendor/scrap certain types of items you need for crafting.
So filtering out most of the trash is desirable, even if it means you could miss a few good items.

In GD, to craft properly, you need to pick-up and vendor all of the trash.
Selling greens is still by far your best source of iron. Outside of SR, the pure iron bits drops are pitiful, so you actually want to fill you inventory with garbage and carry it to the vendor.

So that would have to be addressed first, imo, before any kind of filter would actually make sense.

Assuming I’d no longer want to pick up green non-MI junk:
For farming MIs, there are too many combinations of good prefix and suffix for too many items to just filter them sensibly with a simple <OR> .
Ideally it would be some type of regex that can be adjusted via an XML file, so the community can adjust it to individual needs and make tools to edit it comfortably.

Fair points. Maybe buffing iron drop and nerfing green drop would be good fix? What would you say?

An option for transmog collectors.

For example, you have active “don’t show white items”, but it show you dropped white item if you don’t have it in your transmog inventory => you pick it up => you drop it => item is not showing anymore.

It would be nice to have that option in the filter.

4 Likes

whites are the same as yellows and non MI greens; so you will get those with regular or other filter settings throughout the game
*unless you totally filter out magicks and rares from the start ofc

There are some occasions where the loot filter does not work well:

1. No option for elemental damage specifically.
  2. Physical damage option doesn’t work properly and seems to include stats like “physical damage converted to x” which actually lower physical damage output.
  3. The inability to exclude lower level gear drops. Something like “only show items x levels lower than my level” would be great.
  4. Inability to always force MIs to show (as opposed to enabling rare items in general).
  5. The inability to opt to “Only show caster body/head gear”.
  6. Limited ability to enable specific magic affixes to be seen.

Last epoch is much more complex than the loot filter in GD. In GD it never takes me more than a minute or two to setup the loot filter due to it being very simple with not many options.

I prefer the filter in GD compared to LE due to its simplicity. I have no intention of downloading a filter made by another person but I also don’t want to spend long creating my own. However there isn’t really any need for GD’s filter to be complex like LE because loot/affix drops are not nearly as RNG (In LE you need RNG to get useful affixes, there are many more affix slots and you additionally need good tiers of affix). Thankfully GD has far less RNG to fight against.

Very much agree. I dislike it too.

If we’re talking about Item-Names itself, i can understand and even agree on that. I don’t like that on Rainbowfilter either.
But for stats to have specific colorization which even makes sense in the context of it (like red’ish for fire, darker-blue’ish for lightning, lightblue for frost/ice) i’ve to disagee on your stance and i’m geniunly surprised that people exist who can’t see how the game could profit from it in terms of readibility, esp. for a game like Grim Dawn which tends to drop quite some stats on you esp. for the later Items. This isn’t like a Torchlight or such with a very basic stats-systme, gd is quite more complex. And it geniunly frustrates me as i play on Xbox GD right now, that this isn’t a native QoL feature (and for people who geniunly dislike it i wouldn’t mind if it’s only “toggable” either) because it does kill sometimes my mood to play GD esp. when i’ve to sort through items.

And unlike PC you can’t just fix that stuff with mods and such. So yeah - if i’d have to point out a specific aspect of GD where i find it somewhat bad or what i miss in terms of QoL or related to Lootfitler (didn’t know we count that as part of the lootfilter) it would be def. the Rainbow-Filter for Stats on Items/Tooltip. (Xbox Related i’ve have like 2-3 other stuff too but that’s outside of the topic).

Except that i’m pretty happy / fine with the Lootfilters of Grim Dawn. Sure when you play a Game like Last Epoch you see how it could be potentially even done better, though it also would mean more setup, which i’d also can see as annoying for some people (than again in the best way possible it might be possible to offer both, similiar to settings for certain programms /tools where you can toggle off/on enhanced settings, maybe an enhanced lootfilters option). And yes it would cool to be able to save and share lootfilters, but overall i’m fine as it is right now.

Only a native Rainbow-Filter as an option to colorize types of stats would be an amazing (and for me neccessary) addition.

I would be very disappointed if a loot filter similar to Last Epoch was put in. I find the necessity to use tools outside of the game to be pretty lame. Also, I just think that playing a game should involve using what is available in the game and it should have an intuitive UI. Last Epoch has some weird loot filter that utilizes a bad barebones UI and I will probably never use it the way you suggested. So I hope Grim Dawn doesn’t go that route.

With 1.2 we received double rare and MI notation on items, which is fantastic. I think searching for specific affixes would be neat.

Honestly, the thing I want most of all isn’t really loot filter specific, but it would be nice if there was some way to denote what affix was giving each bonus. I think rainbow does this? If it were in the actual game that would be sweet.

I’m curious when you last played Last Epoch, as this doesn’t sound like the current implementation at all.

Probably… 4-5 months ago? It could definitely be the case. I still don’t want an overly complex system that begs for getting text strings from an outside source or downloading some sort of file.

honestly current loot filter is almost allright for me, the only thing i would like would be something toggeable in the options like rainbow filter, so i could recognize quickly the kind of dmg something have just looking the colors instead of reading the wall of text some items have

also sidenote, for the hoarders like me who want to collect all mythics, add the option to buy extra tab stashes to a big number? like 20~50~100? so we don’t have to keep making extra mule characters

and before someone says “just download xyz mod” i don’t like modding my games if don’t have to, kinda tired of mods breaking when the game updates or keeping track of all the extra steps each time i install/unisntall the mods/game, besides for console players that can’t use mods is a big extra having the options already ingame

Hello,

I’ve played pretty much all the ARPGs in existence since Diablo. Having a verbose loot filter like Last Epoch’s or POE’s is a dream compared to the current iteration. I think giving players more tools to sort through loot is always better. If players don’t want to check an external site for loot filter strings, that’s fine, they don’t have to. As I see it, it’s not required with the way drops are in this game. But I find myself just walking past walls of green sometimes not bothering to check them just because I’m more interested in killing the mobs. Less loot on screen to check = more mobs dead = better chance of getting that item. We’re in the age of the 2nd and 3rd monitor, it’s time to realize that external sites are part of the game.

1 Like

We’re in the age of short attention span.
I agree with too much loot on the screen. I would limit it with lower drop rates, rather than filters, but I also sometimes think: “Why did this totem drop so many items? Now I have to compare them all to see I won’t use them anyway.”

External resources have been part of the game ever since printed manuals. But the big difference is, that websites rely on factors beyond player’s control: network connection, server’s availability, contributor’s willingness. One day or after one update this resource may be gone. Meanwhile a manual is yours to keep.

Wholeheartedly disagree. With the amount of complexity within each class and between them lowering drop rates would make the gearing process incredibly painful, especially if target farming for a specific build. I think most players fall into the “tunnel on one build and play it” rather than “play what drops.”

My point is referring to a loot filter like Last Epoch or POE, in which users can share their custom filters. Those systems are fairly complex and I understand why some people might have some trepidation about using them after looking at a build guide and seeing rows and rows of loot filter text. But it is generally quite easy to set up something basic and then fine tune it as you go along and want to see less “trash.”

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: Twinking Characters Discussion

All in all, i’m not against it but I would probably not use it much unless it’s simple to use by everyone

Another type of filter or perk would be to know in game what the affixe really give to the item.

Another Idea would be to add options to check/uncheck in the current state of the filter and add a box beside them to check if you want it to have a color and chose the color.

An examle for a item with fire damage (you somehow decide to chose yellow for fire damage) :

From the Filter you would click the arrow beside the selected fire damage and chose yellow :

Obvioully, Crate would do it better ;D
I added one option but by clicking the arrow that you click to select the color, you would also be able to chose another color for text if crate/gamer want that too (so 2 selections to make after clicking the arrow, one for around the text and one for the text itself.). Not sure if it should affect epic and legendary items.

The problem I can see is if a fire prefix and a cold suffixe roll on a item, I guess the items could have no color at all OR have haft yellow (here for fire, like in the exemple) and lets say bleu for the other haft for the cold suffixe (if that’s the color we would have chosen in the filter for cold damage)
What I mean is that :

Also, as I said, more options could be added in the filter.
The filter config could be global for all you build, Last Epoc made it so you chose which filter you want to use for you character (any filter is global). That said I don’t think you need a as complexe filter as Last Epoc.

I’m not sure if that would be too much with colors popping off all over the screen for all MIs.
I personnally don’t use the Rainbow filter but I see why some people use it.

:grinning:

isn’t that just rainbow filter?
*yes i know it can’t display on the ground, but still
(also imagine the color conflict on the ground of multi dmg items)

I mean, usually the items text is spread.
Last Epoc and Poe does it so it is doable.

But as I said, that could be too much colors, I just brough an Idea but I dunno if that’s something that people wants. And it can evolve from there, It could be the transparent colors behind the text that you can change for example.

Just to be clear, I don’t mind if the current filter evolve or not from what it is now.
Also, if people are fine with the rainbow filter than something similar could be added to the game.
I’m just proposing something a bit different with the current state of the filter.

what i mean is that sometimes affixes have more than 1 stat :sweat_smile:
how would distinguish 2-3 dmg types on a single prefix or suffix, then in combination with the item’s native dmg too.
Let alone the idono, mosaic? or kaleidoscope?, effect a singular item might give if it has 4-5-7 dmg types in total on it laying on the ground.
your example with Infernal of Frostbite was pretty clean, but my point was more that not all cases are that simple of just 1 dmg type front/back for singular colour shifts

I guess it would be based on affixes in the case of damage type.
In the case of weapon it would be based on weapon type ;D

Etc … !

There is no perfect solution haha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.