Grim Misadventure #100: On the Horizon

Ohh god, please no :eek:

Not sure how it can’t work as an endgame. It’s quite challenging and you are rewarded with lots of quality items, including monster infrequents and legendaries. If anything, it’s the most endgame mode Grim Dawn has at this point. Leveling is something you can do in it, but it’s hardly the focus of the Crucible.

This game has a fairly small loot pool, so what you’re saying is if your toon is already 85 and kitted out there’s nothing for you in there. I think many of us were assuming new stuff, or at least raised Devotion cap.

I’m sure I’ll use it as a treadmill for leveling alts, but my mains wouldn’t find anything in there they don’t have already.

What would be nice in the crucible to earn, are stuff that change your appearance. Just like the things u get from Kory the Keeper.

The crucible is a game mode and was never advertised as having it’s own unique loot or other forms of character progression. Stuff like cap raises are going to be part of actual expansions.

On the flip side, once new items are introduced, which is inevitable, you will have a pretty good way of getting them with the crucible. It’s also something that can actually challenge your super decked-out characters.

Adding new items exclusively through DLC is an excellent way to splinter the Multiplayer community by requiring all players joining an MP session to have the same DLC installed (otherwise some players have data for the items, and others do not).

While such a requirement is fine for an expansion-sized addition, it did not seem appropriate for a new game mode that was a Kickstarter stretch goal.

There will be new items in 1.0.0.6, and they will also drop in the Crucible.

Ok now that makes sense to me. I guess it would also have a splintering effect to have some folks running around capped at 60 devotion and the rest at 50.

So in that case I hope the loot patch is hot on its heels, not that you’re raising the devotion cap, although that would be sweet :slight_smile:

EDIT: i’m assuming Crucible is 1.0.0.5

Pretty much what I was thinking following the conversation.

The Crucible aka Survival Mode was a commitment they had to do as a result of the KS stretch goal being hit and nowhere was it implied that extra levels and devotions and tons of new artwork/items would be a part of that commitment.

Just an alternate game mode.

My view is that you will find it easier (as Nine pointed out) to do your late game farming in the Crucible if you wish. In my experience the drops are very nice (and numerous) if you do well in it, including (as Nine also pointed out) the challenge is nicer and more immediate.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Correct.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

it works about as well as farming the campaign. If you have every legendary, there simply is nothing left to farm.

I think I understand what you mean Zantai, but still it would be nice if the players who fight in the crucible get something as a token of excellence or at least for memory. How about getting a permanent passive buff on completing the crucible on each difficulty, just as we used to get in TQ on completing the quest for the temple of Delphi. If possible, may be even have the reward for each toon saved somewhere so that we can go and see whenever we want. It would be sweet and not to mention would add that just a little more incentive to actually beat the crucible, that too three times at least.

The leaderboard?

Also, can we get confirmation that steam friends will or won’t show up on that leaderboard? Will we have to manually convey our scores to compare to our friends?

The leaderboard is local to your own characters. It will not display your friend’s scores.

None of your complaints makes sense, since Crate made it VERY clear ages ago that the Crucible was nothing more but an extra game mode that is free for kickstarter backers. No new items, no cap increases, nothing of the sort was ever said by Crate anywhere.

I looks like you’re the kind of person that loves setting yourself up for dissapointment… and you deserve it.

All good points, which is exactly while I’ll wait until 1.0.0.6 to pick it up, I want the “cash out now or risk continuing” loot gamble to actually mean something.

Once 1.0.0.6 is out Crucible will own. And I don’t play to farm for the sake of farming, I only farm to gear up toons. Once they are done they’re done- like almost every toon advertised in the builds forum- I’m waiting to play them again for real risk vs reward :wink:

This is all very exciting. I am not mentally prepared for the Aetherial dungeon, I hate that ground damage.

On the flip side, once new items are introduced, which is inevitable, you will have a pretty good way of getting them with the crucible. It’s also something that can actually challenge your super decked-out characters.

Personally, I am very happy with the crucible’s concept. Nemesis monsters, as they are right now, aren’t a very interesting fight with every build (there is very little to the fights themselves, they are a gear check).

A survival mode, on the other hand, should definitely be more complex in terms of gameplay and have more to beating it than maxing out a relevant resist and having a high DPS number.

Newp. One of the major selling points for Crucible was the loot gambling system where you can get off the train or risk dying and not making it to the next loot checkpoint (where you’d get better stuff). now it’s still going to be FUN for sure, but there is no character-improvement aspect for geared up high level toons. Loot or otherwise.

However as they have stated patch 1.0.0.6 will add more loot- combine the two and you’re good.

That said there’s not really any reason they couldn’t have soft rewards like extre devotion points, stat points, or respec options that you can buy with the tribute points. That would have been a cool addition, and i’m far from the only one in this thread that thinks so.

Even Hidden Path, small as it is, offered REAL incentive for completing with all toons on every level. 3 stats 3 skill points well worth it. Even a small increase like say 55 Devotion cap in Crucible would have guaranteed every one of us can’t live without it :wink:

I don’t see the point in comparing the Crucible update to the Hidden Path update when one will be sold and the other was completely free.

Forgive me if I just missed it: are you at least considering adding one or more new masteries to the expansion?

(Unarmed mastery! here we come!)