Grim Misadventure #11: Parts for Sale

You have read the State of the Game Address II, right? You have not read it yet?! You can fix this at the following convenient link: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5522

Now that you are up to speed, you might have caught note of the small section on components. If it got you excited, then you are in for a treat! With 63 components in-game and ready for looting, that is quite a variety for customizing your gear. Of those 63, seventeen are of epic quality and reflect that both in stats and drop rate. Let us dive into the virtual Grim Dawn shopping mall.

Disclaimer: the following names, stats, values, and requirements are work in progress and may not reflect the final product.

The Component Aisle – Bonus points if you can spot the player

Grim Mall (not a real place, sorry) carries everything an adventurer needs for his adventuring life, from sharp sticks to venomous fangs. Aisle 666, or the components aisle, displays our finest collection of common and rare fragments intended for the augmentation of proprietary hero defense armament accessories (PHDAA’s…or Armor and Weapons for the uninitiated).

Components vary in size from 3 to 8 fragments. Upon completion, a component will gain a random bonus. These bonuses are drawn from several tables and different component types will generate different perks (such as bonus Offensive Ability on a weapon component or bonus Health on an armor component). Though each component is restricted to specific gear slots, almost all item types will support them so you can get creative in your preferred combination.

An issue we wished to address with our design for components was the disappointing transition that occurred between tiers of socketables, wherein the previous tier would start to feel like a waste of time and inventory space. Instead, we have an initially larger pool of components balanced to remain appealing through a significant range of levels. With that in mind, there will be no Normal/Epic/Legendary variants; but I hear rumors about rare crafting schematics that use the core component set to create powerful new variants.

Let us take a look at some of our components!

The first batch of component art! (Read about the white text at the end)

Common Hand Component - Consecrated Wrappings

Common Head Component - Leathery Hide

Epic Chest Component - Chains of Oleron

Common Chest Component - Sanctified Bone

Epic Head Component - Prismatic Diamond

All updates must come to an end, but this one will carry on with you! Take a look at the second screenshot. Let us know which icons really tease your curiosity (B2 or is it C5?) and I will reveal a couple more tooltips over the next week (EDIT: Added Sanctified Bone and Prismatic Diamond based on comments. Thanks for playing.). Another update is coming at you in just two weeks’ time. Check back on 12/16/12!

feels like we are getting closer to alpha every hour :slight_smile:

Crafting and gathering craft mats CAN really add depth and fun to the game. Giving players a but more control over obtaining gear can be satisfying and help them replace really old, outdated gear if they just can’t seem to get lucky with drops from mobs.

I will say this though: please don’t half-ass it. It’d rather there be no crafting than a lame, unsatisfying crafting system that results in nothing but bag clutter for mats you rarely ever use.

When it comes to half-ass nothing beats Diablo 3 lol.

So long as this crafting system is interesting, complex and yet fair to some degree… I’m pretty sure it can beat D3 any day.

Can you remove and change components at will?

I hate it when games let you add things to items but you cant freely remove them, for a fee of course. :wink:

Is it as in TQ? The enchanter can remove socketed enchantments for a fee, but either the item or the enchantment is lost?

I wanted to ask what the broken chain component is, but now that you have reveal its tooltip … Deity Oleron, who is he? Does he still take an active part in GD?

The Component Set bonus looks nice, well mostly the epic armor one. lol

Also, I think this is the player in the pic:

Fantastic update, as always. =)

I am most curious about: A4 (shackles), B2 (plating), C3 (strange vial)! =)

I’ll take B4 for 200, Zantai. Is that the “Rotten Heart”? Hmm, can we only ask about the ones in the 2nd screen shot? I was curious about ‘Devil Touched Ammo’ and ‘Haunted Steel’.
Great update, btw. Makes me want to go scavenging, but the hobos around here threatened to call the cops last time I did that! Guess I need to wait for GD to come out. :stuck_out_tongue:

I loved the components in TQ, thought it was a nice change from gems and a hit and miss enchanting system so looking forward to trying out a new improved model…I like the looks of B3, C2 and C3 :smiley:

Another sweet update!THX!:smiley:

I am most curious about: B4(heart)-life steal?life leech?C6(mysterious rune) and
C2(diamond)why this thing exist in grim dark past there only war?:furious:

Also find character on first picture is very easy ,he in center of screen
obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure i understand how the components system will work. Do we have more info about this?

It seems to be the same as in TQ, which is similar to gems and runes in D2/D3, and also gems in TL1/2.

You find some part of e.g. a piece of scale of some monster. You have to find e.g. 5 of them to complete them into the whole scale with a bonus stat for the completition.

There are two situations you can equip this thing:

• you can equip each individual part, missing the completion bonus though

• you can wait and farm for more parts to complete the item to get the bonus, and then equip it

Also, there are restrictions on where you can use it, e.g. this scale could be used only on chest and arm gear, etc.

Something like that. =)

The items I would love to see are (from the 1st screenshot): Devil-Touched Ammo, Hell’s Bane Ammo, Deathchill Bolts, and Haunted Steel, but the rest are also pretty cool - you’re lucky I didn’t list more :p:D
Another Zantastic update Zantai! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok i got it now! So thank god its not really a crafting profession.:wink:

Awesome update. I like what i see here. Farming for more parts to make a complete accessory sounds cool. I just hope there will be a way to re-arrange those in slots like TL2 or something like that.

C2, C3 and D1 look interesting and would like to see their stats.

Yeah, me too. TL2 system was great, you either get the item or the component out of it, the other is always destroyed in the process though.

Heh really? That’s what we did in Titan Quest. I played TL2 but never tried removing components from an item. Incidentally, that is how it will work by default in GD unless we decide to change it.

:furious: UGHH I HATE how one item is destroyed and you have to choose between them.

I end up not adding anyting to my equipments and would rather use them clean. It is either keep both items or I dont use that part of the game.

:o Oh… now I feel ashamed. Sorry, med.

It’s been a while since I played TQ…and I didn’t use this feature much (if ever) anyway, because the components… weren’t worthy doing so in TQ…

EDIT: Following Chameleon’s comment, is there a plan to add more components into an item (TL2 style) or just one, as it was in TQ?

I would suggest to have the item or the accessory destroyed for free and a third option to pay gold and keep them both. I think it makes more sense than the way TL2 did it.