Grim Misadventure #113: Altered Skill

Handy to know, but…If you asked Blizzard before they made Ancients, if they’d ever make Primordial Ancients, they’d have said no. I’m just worrying that this is a slippery slope to exchanging new content for upgraded old content.

Don’t get me wrong, it seems cool, I like skill modification, they seem well done… I just don’t want to look back from the next expansion, or from GD 2, and see this as the place Crate’s high quality and morals went Blizzard on us.

Idea of adding skill modifiers to items sounds great, but one thing caught my eye.

On Mythical Grim Fate, it says: 75% Vitality Damage converted to Fire Damage on Sigil of Consumption.

It might be a long shot, but what about builds that use Vitality Damage as primary/secondary damage source and want to use this new Mythical Grim Fate? Maybe they don’t want conversion.

Would it be possible to make these things more dynamic, in a sense, that player can choose conversion type?

An idea: new types of conversion items (runes) that can be hooked unto any equipment.

For example: Hooking a skill modifying rune onto a weapon (same as augments and components) with properties: AAR Aether damage converted to Chaos (you can ditch AAR transmuter)

Another example: Hooking a skill modifying rune onto a ring with properties: Olexa Flash Freeze breaks freeze imunity

Edit: yet another example.

I would really love to have -15% Chaos resist on Curse of Frailty on my AAR Warlock. However I can’t because I cant use AAR with Mythical Obisidan Juggernaut

End edit.

Stuff like that.

Probably never gonna happen

Just seemed like an odd thought process considering that this process is literally what we did with low level Epic items to make them relevant at level cap and since it was well-received we are repeating it for the expansion.

Perhaps an Aura on the existing iitems, so you can toggle or not.

Will we see skill modifiers on new items as well, or just mythical versions of old ones ?

Skill Modifiers will occur at all levels on Monster Infrequents, and on Legendaries level 80+, new and Mythical.

I want bysmiel amulet!!! Now!!! Gimmme!!!

I wasn’t here when that occurred, or I’d have said something then TBH.You guys do a wonderful job, but the temptation to go the Blizzard route is strong at times. I’ve seen many quality companies do it, and I just hope Crate doesn’t do the same.

With respect…Can you say my worries are unfounded, given how many times it’s happened iin recent years? Lots of companies taking the easy way out, rather than maintaining their quality. You guys are quality NOW…But from the outside, how can I know that will last? How can you? You wouldn’t be the first company to swear it would never happen and then justify changing that statement a year or so down the road.

Shrug. I’m a worrier, it’s what I do.

Ok thank you very much for your answer, i’m still amazed by the possibilities this new feature add :smiley:

Wow…just wow. If I wasn’t stoked before I am doubly now.

Mmm… sexy! Me like! :smiley:

Awesome addition, guys. Can’t wait to roll an Inquinecrobarber, and get into the xpac.

What about the ancient tradition? Last time we were down to Necroblood.

You will have to make do with a 50/50 shot. :smiley:

Absolutely great ! Thank you Crate !

primordial ancient issue was that it was just another grind layer, a +X to stats on top of a first +X stats and nothing else

not really the case here, whatever naming line they decide to go with

Damn, that’ll be so good. :slight_smile: Really nice, can’t wait to try these out!

Nice job guys and girls!

I don’t get it. That’s a whole different story. Diablo’s ancient items are just plain better versions of items statwise on the same required level.
Empowered and Mythical Items update the items to the new level so they remain relevant. It would be no difference if they gave them each an individual name but a bit extra work for Crate.

You seem to be a bit Diablo-paranoid, mate. :wink:

Higher level versions of older epics was a commonly requested thing back in the day, because we all have those items that we like, be it for the granted skill, its appearance, etc. Grim Fate is one of my favorite weapons in the game, it has been since they first revealed legendaries and the mythical version is gonna certainly make me want to invest in SoC on my melee pyro who dual wields grim fates at the moment, pure fire/chaos sigil ftw!

Also its not being lazy when the bulk of the playerbase requests that there be updated versions of older items, that’s fulfilling your communities wishes. Yes it’s asset recycling but look at the response so far, for the most part people are happy to see their favorites get more powerful versions, and the hype over skill modifiers.

Speakin of that, mods are gonna be bitchin with this addition to the expac.

I just hope it stays that way. Ancients themselves were a nuisance, but not out and out bad, per se…Primordials were. Mythical Empowered Legendary MI’s would be bad, in a way that, currently, Mythical Legendaries won’t be. We think. Technically we’re only seeing a few of them, so some of them might just be larger stats and maybe a new + skill option.

Admittedly the “appearance” thing isn’t an issue anymore, with Illusionist. And I didn’t say it was lazy. I’m not saying, nor have I said, that Crate is doing anything wrong, I in fact said this seems pretty nice. I’m just hoping there are no mistakes made in the future, because this isn’t actually all that far from D3 going Ancients into Primordials into whatever they call it when they do it again, as they most likely will.