Grim Misadventure #113: Altered Skill

Grim Misadventures continues!

Last time, we had a very exciting announcement with the reveal of the Illusionist. Today we have more excitement in stow for you and it involves itemization.

As a game developer, there are often things you wish for during development that unfortunately end up cut or just don’t fit into the schedule. And that is fine, it is the reality of making games. But every once in a while, you get to revisit old ideas. Today’s preview is one of those times.

Grim Dawn’s itemization is quite vast and complex. Legendary items feature a wide variety of skill procs and granted abilities, but still it felt like something was missing from the formula. With the expansion, we look to improve upon the vast array of items available to you by introducing…Item-granted Skill Modifiers!

What does that mean exactly? It means that in addition to the basic attributes such as damage bonuses, health and resistances, items will be able to also Modify your Mastery skills. This means we will be able to introduce new effects, debuffs or even completely change the damage of an ability through equipment.

Item Skill Modifiers will appear on Monster Infrequent and Legendary Weapons, Amulets, Medals, Helms and Gloves.

For some examples, we’re going to take a look at a few items making a return in the expansion. Just as we took low level Epic items and turned them into Empowered versions to make them competitive for the base game’s level cap, old favorites will be returning as Mythical Epics and Mythical Legendaries for the new level cap of 100, mixed in with entirely new items.

(Note that final item stats may change during development. The values on any granted skills are scaled by the character’s stats and do not represent base values.)

A keen eye might also notice that several of these items are boosting three different skills instead of the usual two. This is another change coming in the expansion for the new higher level items. Most unique items will support 2-3 masteries instead of 1-2, expanding your build options dramatically.

Together, these improvements should offer some exciting new opportunities when creating your builds!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 03/20/2017 for our next development update!

Oh yeaaaaaaahhh!

So, new levels for Legendaries and Skill Altering. Not really sure how this would work, requires testing. But nevertheless, interesting concept. One thing for sure, though - it will be complex as balls. Build builders, here we go.

Ohohohohohoohhohohoho THAT IS GOOD!

YESSS!:cool:

WHOA WHAT THE FUCK!?! you guys were able to do this finally? fuckin’ a, awesome. I Totally remember awhile back if someone asked if this was possible, and pretty sure someone said it was an engine limitation that prevented it, great that you guys were able to do this finally.

A keen eye noticed that Mark of Dark Dreams lost its proc?

Mauricius confirmed as a time traveller.

Amazing! I love M.I.'s the most and its awesome to see them included! level cap raise is always a big welcome! Onwards to 200! lol

This is awesome!!! Great Misadventure!

Wow that’s totally awesome ! Things like -chaos resist for CoF or + 1 Summon limit (hope it’s not only for the familiar though :p). Another great layer of customization, perfect !

Ok, I can’t even find the words to describe how awesome this is… I’m just so hyped by this expansion, that I literally can’t take it out of my head, whenever I go!

How I wish I could just fast forward the world to the day that the expansion will be released… :cry:

Fuck yeah! So hyped!

Yes but + 2 meters to night’s chill radius. That is pretty sick.

I like this update a lot. Looks like a total end game changer.

Edit: I’m hyped…just saying

All aboard on the hype train!!

choochoo :D:p

Holy [redacted], that is awesome! I NEED that Obsidian Juggernaut upgrade. Really interesting update, looking more and more forward to the expansion :smiley:

I would be much happier about this if you didn’t call them Mythical. Empowered brings up enough D3 scarring, Mythical Empowered just starts to make one think of Primordial Ancient Legendaries. I get the art can’t be made anew every time, but is there really no way you can just give them a new name? Grim Fate and then Grim Destiny, for example…Still connected, but less of a forever upgrading kind of feel.

OH MY GOD !!!
These weapons are so awesone !
Skills altering as mentionned earlier are so ingenious !
Builds will take new dimension !

They’re not going to be called Mythical Empowered… They will simply be Mythical. It’s redundant.

You have Leander Greene’s Handcannon at level 20.
It became Empowered Leander Greene’s Handcannon at level 50 and gained new attributes and higher values to match similar level 50 items.
It becomes Mythical Leander Greene’s Handcannon at level 82 and will have higher values to match similar level 82 items and possibly more +skill bonuses.

Oow man, even more skill possibilities and more build diversity. This is really a great feature. Are those skill effects set on a mythical legendary or are there multiple skill effects possible?

You should have seen the latest stream from Grava, not to mention that you missed another sneak peak from the expansion. :stuck_out_tongue:

Legendaries have fixed stats, exceptions are some crafted ones such as the Plaguebearer of Dreeg and the Badge of Mastery.