Grim Misadventure #114: A New Thing...

I won’t make any friends here, i see that coming. Because i pretty much hype the Necromancer in Diablo 3. In generally i love the iconic Art-Direction which Blizzard offers because if i look at this picture alone i get the whole Diablo-Feel and it reminds me on Diablo 2. However the only thing which is such an huge letdown (and that’s nothing which i forgive Blizzard so easily) is that they started this “DLC”-Shit. Normally i’m not against DLC’s however in an Diablo-Game i expect an proper Addon and not such kind of small fry-pieces. So an proper Addon with new Arc, Features and Necromancer and i would instantly bought it - however now…

I’m thankfully that Crate with Grim Dawn take the proper road, can’t wait for the Expansion. And also i’ve to say, with the Necromancer-Art you have outdone yourself - this Art is so amazing and if you ask me - its the best work so far. God i’d wish there would be an “Wallpaper-Engine” animated version of that, than i would instantly set it as wallpaper…(i think i will use it as loginscreen instead)

Concepts imo that will make Necromancer class more exciting:

1. Skeletal summons thats not humanoid with high aggro (can be skeletal manticores, hounds, boars, dragons, or even skeletal T-Rex:p)
  2. If devs insists on humanoid skeletons, its better to make unique model for your summons (so its not confusing when traveling in arkovia)
  3. Include Skeletal Priest in raise the dead skill (or any skeleton that offers support to your player when you decided to become a melee necromancer)
  4. Passive skill that raises a skeletal warrior that procs in enemy death (like the one in devotion but with lower cooldown and higher summoning limit like 15 or so, because seeing an army of undead swarming a boss looks satisfying:rolleyes:)
  5. Damaging aura with vitality decay (cuz killing something with just your presence is badass:cool:)
  6. An entraping skills like the Skeletal gargantuan uses (for range necromancer)
  7. Ultimate tier skill that revives your character with half health when you die but comes with 1 hour cooldown or so (cuz youre a necromancer thats why;))

Well its just my opinion no need to take things seriously
Devs are free to make what they want, I just want to voice out my wishful thinking (without thinking about balance issues or stuffs)

All but 7 are K. The game has a HC mode, anything like 7 is a bad move. As for 1…Skeletal Golems having a chance to arise would be nice. It seems like, from what they’ve said, the skill will summon X skeleton things, from a pool of possible skeletons that you can expand. So priests and golems may be a possible thing…Which is just going to lead to me spamming to try and get all golems and look terrifying as hell.
Unique models would be great tho, cuz seeing the same models of my enemies as my allies is annoying. It’s already annoying whenever I side with the Order, Necro would just make it worse.

if you’re going to be snarky, you should make sure you’re spelling Cabalist correctly first.

Things I’d like to see:

1. Give a subset of the Necromancer’s skills an “on enemy death” component. It is a form of death magic, after all.
  2. A transmuter for the Skeleton Summon skill that makes the summoned creatures not your allies… so that you will still be able to use “on enemy death” skills against lone enemies.
  3. Mutually exclusive masteries… so that we can someday have a “Kymon’s Chosen” mastery without screwing the faction choice. Beside, it would only eliminate 1 potential class per mutually exclusive pair.

A better idea would be a “sacrifice ally” skill that kills your one pet with the least current health and makes its death eligible to proc on death procs, among other benefits.

Heh, that’d be pretty cool, too. But I was thinking that if the “on death” was linked to killing an enemy with a particular skill, then just sacrificing an ally wouldn’t do the trick.

Also, just thought of another thing I want to see…
4. Continue story of Frankie “The Knife” (assuming that you didn’t kill him, heh heh.)

Simply make that skill sacrifice ally. :stuck_out_tongue: The player would have the choice of either Raise the Dead or Abominable Might. I don’t think any other on death procs have to be sourced from a particular skill.

How many On Death procs are there that that would be an important thing to even add? And of those, how many do you really need/want against a boss? Only one I’ve used that I miss against a boss is Abom Might, and I just kinda accepted that I’d never have it up on a boss and built accordingly.

now they have to review the necromancer deathgrips… having weird skillss on it does not make any sense now…:rolleyes:

And the Inquisitor prefix.

This can be solved by simply renaming it, in the case of the gloves though I think they will need to alter the skill bonuses too.

correct me if i am wrong but I dont see any issue with the inquisitor prefix… we know inquisitors do elememtal damage… plus the bonuses to racial damage makes sense given the purpose of the mastery as a whole;)

• edit… isee they could add the inquisitor skills upon release… my bad!

Technically, Bonds and Spirit means that it can work with a Necromancer/Shaman or a Necromancer/Occultist. Or a Conjurer, OFC. Might get a “Mythical” version, with a modifier to the Necromancer’s skills, or perhaps just with more skills added on.

NO clue what they’ll do for the Prefix tho. All the other Class prefixes (AFAIK) add a specific + skill…So maybe they’ll just add that in.

As it stands now, I agree. There aren’t enough On Death procs for it to really matter. Which is why I want more of them.

But if they add various on death procs to other skills in the Necromancer tree, which was the intent of my 1st suggestion, then it would make sense to be able to choose what skill to use to kill the summoned skeletons. My 2nd suggestion, which is what we’ve been discussing, was really just there to enable my 1st suggestion to be useful against those tougher enemies that have limited or no adds.

Yeah, but the single mastery specific affixes are yellow and give +X to a skill of that mastery. I predict this one will be nerfed to ground, or an yellow Inquistor affix will be created and this one will be renamed to something like Demon Hunter’s.

going back to the necro. and judging on the facebook likes alone… crate has hit a huge homerun here… let’s admit some of us here would have wanted a shield based class, a techno/chronomancer or even a cook mastery but going necro is the most feasible approach for the company. for the now they need all the money to expand the game further and choosing necro, being the most in demand , is definitely a step in the right direction . :stuck_out_tongue:

Just came here to say:
A necromancer, OW YEAAAAH
Oh how I waited to become leecher of lifes, reaper that grants death wishes.
Thank you Crate!

We’ve got a shield based class…It’s called Soldier. Technomancer…? In the low tech world of GD, the highest tech we’re probably getting is Demolitionist. Seriously, this class is making thermite, in the apocalypse, and it’s stable enough that it’s put into mines and carried around without issue. What is it being made from that more can be made…everywhere? Clearly magic.

FTR, if you meant Shield Based as in attacking with a shield…Wasn’t there a Crate post somewhere saying no to dual shields? Closest we’ll likely get is Forcewave, untransmuted.

Beautiful update for me, Thanks so much for doing a Necro, Really appreciate it.

Now only 1 thing left, a release date, please.

Thanks for update ! Summoning skeletons. Skeletons are my favorite creatures in games. Thank you !