Grim Misadventure #143: Challenging Expectations

Will you guys balance the classes? I mean real balance. Because this new fonction is totally useless if the classes balance stay the same as now.

define what you think is balance?

I mean, there’s classes that even if you have all the best items possible for your class. No upgrade possible. Your char will still do 2 times less damage or will be 2 times squishier than another class maxed out. Without any advantage. I said class, but it is more about builds, some builds are crap, while others are god tier.

Awesome stuff as always, cant wait to try this out. :cool:

Could you please make the challenge areas an optional difficulty modifier (like Veteran) or offer another way to toggle them on/off? People not min-maxing their characters or playing non-meta builds might enjoy the difficulty of the game as is.

I like the idea of more challenging dungeons a lot, but without a way for players to control the severity of the added challenge, it would ultimately have to be balanced to not lock anybody out of the content.

Some builds are crap because they are just crap and no balancing of masteries will change that. Balance the masteries to make the trash builds better and guess what happens? The good builds get even better.

Also being vague as hell like you are being right now helps nobody.

Uh, wut? This game is easily the most generous ARPG i ever played when it comes to loot drops. While farming the Blood Knight set i literally completed 5 whole sets, with some of them i didn’t even have a single piece. And this was all in the main campaign, i don’t go to Crucible.

They might as well allow you to buy loot directly from a vendor if they make it more generous than this.

Norzan : Some builds are crap because they are just crap and no balancing of masteries will change that. Balance the masteries to make the trash builds better and guess what happens? The good builds get even better.

Also being vague as hell like you are being right now helps nobody.

Just boost the set dude, that it XD no need to change the masteries. And the reason why I’m ‘‘vague’’ as you said … it is because it is obvious that some builds are very bad compared to others, and they do nothing about it. Some individual items are so weak to. Each time that there’s a patch I’m waiting for that moment, but no, nothing.

I left out much of your post to keep this one shorter.

I never ever saw 8-10 legendaries in an hour of playtime without the mod. More often than not I wouldn’t even find 5. But what you’re saying is pretty well in line with what I’ve seen others say several times. In fact, with Smash 'N Grab installed I’m probably seeing 10-12 legendaries per hour. So it’s not like legendarily are raining out of the sky like in Diablo 3 or something. Now I’m sure I’m not playing the most efficient build in the world for speed clearing content.

Like I said, I know I’m in the minority with my opinion on the drops. I’ve seen several others lay out the same points you just made.

There is some subjectivity here as well. As someone with a full-time job, a wife and three small children, I don’t have as much time to play games these days, and thus I would prefer what time I do spend to be better rewarded than what the GD devs have decided to program.

300 hours is a rather large investment for me, and I don’t feel the least bit bad for using a mod that improves the deficient drop rates. Like I mentioned, it saved the game for me. It gave me hope to actually find the Markovian and Warborn sets before I get completely burned out on the game. I’m certainly grateful to Crate for making GD moddable.

Based on one of Zantai’s recent replies, it sounds like the mutators are simply going to be incorporated into the maps designated as the Challenge Areas. Oh well…hopefully that decision will be reconsidered.

I’m happy for you. And your view seems to be the consensus. But I never experienced anything close to what you describe, before I started using the mod.

Which sets and which builds? This is what i meant by you being vague. If you said which sets and which builds need buffs, maybe the devs could do something. Not to mention a lot of sets can be used by multiple builds, so buffing the set will just make builds that are better even better.

Implying people with full time jobs can’t farm efficiently. There’s always this excuse to justify something being changed. 90% of the grinding i did in this game was with a full time job and i only played one, two hours at max each day. And i still got a ton of legendaries while farming.

You also must have known this game is part of a genre know for being time consuming, so it’s kind of your fault if you decided to play it, fully aware what you were in for.

Being vague does not help developers, otherwise they do not know what changes to make or why, especially when most developers don’t play their own product (or at least not as much as their clients). They want details and as many of them as possible.

You right about it, but what’s shocked me actually is that nobody seems to know what I’m talking about XD I mean do you guys found that every set are balanced? Just look at builds that people use in crucible and you will have a good idea of wich one is op and wich one is crap. And I know the song here, whatever builds I’m gonna talk about, someone will be there to told me that if the builds is bad, just take another one, the game is like that, the game is already balanced, etc etc

Last night I went through Ancient Grove on Ultimate. With my mod installed. Unfortunately Gargabol killed me, but getting all the way to him I accumulated like 6 legendaries.

Getting to the same point in vanilla, based on my prior experience I would have been lucky to have found 1 or 2. If that sounds crazy to you, then I don’t know what to say other than I guess I’m just terribly unlucky.

You said something about justifying a change…I haven’t asked GD to change the drop rates in this thread, though I did express my opinion that they’re not that great. I would probably not feel the same way if I had a dozen characters out there, which would increase the chance that the legendaries I do find would come in handy for at least one of them. But as someone who bought the game in March, and have played with a single character all this time, the drops I was getting in vanilla just didn’t cut it for me. Like I said, thankfully I found a mod that alleviates my problem.

Just say which ones you think are good and which ones are bad. Again being vague helps nobody.

My last Ancient Grove run wield me 6 legendaries and i didn’t had any mod. And it takes me 15 minutes to finish it. I could have easily made two more and probably get around 15 legendaries in an hour.

You probably didn’t see my edit, but you must have been aware that games like these are time consuming. That’s how they are built to be played for a long time. So, it’s kind of your fault in a sense that you decided to play it fully aware of what the game entails.

And let’s not kid ourselves, you say it’s just an opinion but deep down, you are basically asking the devs to up loot drop rate.

Boring. I’s like Crucible, but better. :confused: Plz dont h8 de h8ter. :confused:

It’s good to see that drop rates will be impacted in certain areas of the game as I know that having x mastery’s/mastery combinations can make it difficult to acquire the gear that you want.

And right below that in the game guide, we have an entry for One-Shot Chests, which aren’t called that in the game. Instead we have Exalted Stashes for the most part, and occasionally boss versions like The Master’s Collection. It’s why you’re using Dangerous Area and Treacherous Area instead of DIFFICULTY LEVEL 1 and DIFFICULTY LEVEL 3.

I don’t think Peredur and Paavo were basing their objections primarily on the Berlin Interpretation.

I’m sorry, but double rares need their own color and setting on the filter. It’s no ones idea of fun to try to comb through thousands of jank rares to find these. While I realize they have potential, the odds make it miserable practical experience and I’d rather not play the game at all than do that.

I realize player QoL can’t always be the priority, but at some point the more your players play the game, the more characters they make, the more their life becomes a tedious management chore that removes them from actually playing the game .

The most grievous offenders

1. Item collecting game with hundreds of great legendaries in multiple tiers and stash space to actually collect oh, 1% of them. If you play the game more than a couple hundred hours, you basically MUST use gd stash and that sucks.
  2. By the time you collect a ton of recipes, your crafting UI is overwhelmed.
  3. You make double rares potentially BiS items, but you don’t give the UI a way to distinguish them. So your choice is a) spend hours scouring green items for a .001% drop or b) ignore them and play more - both feel bad in their own way.

I actually made a thread in the Ideas and Feedback forum many weeks ago asking for it. But I was thoroughly smacked down by several respondents, including you if I’m not mistaken, and pretty much no one sympathized with my view. So I’ve accepted that it’s not going to be changed. “Working as intended”, as Zantai might say.

With that said, I will take the occasional opportunity to mention it when I see others share experiences more similar to my own. For example, the comment I quoted when I first started talking about the drop rates in this thread mentioned completing Ancient Grove twice and getting only 3 legendaries. That’s quite a different anecdote than your example of getting 6 in one run.

This looks so good! The key is in the detail and you always deliver :slight_smile:

1. 1,000 hours, and I don’t use stashing tools or mules.

2. Yeah, that’s true. Crafting could use a nicer UI. There’s a good handful of threads addressing just that. Maybe it’ll change, maybe some will whip up a nice mod for it. It doesn’t seem to affect that many people though, and it’s been serviceable since day 1. So, ya’ know, it is what it is, if I can borrow a tautology from Socrates…

3. a) and b) That’s your choice mang. In TQ, I sold the first SBCs I found with my first playthrough of my first character because I assumed they would be a common drop. Oops! World kept turning though. And I still managed to complete the game.

Most builds that are put together in a cohesive way can beat Log O’Rian with self-found gear. A little min-maxing and twinking, you can clear AoM on Veteran. This is my way of saying ‘works as intended’ isn’t a dismissal - the experience of playing the game that way is a really enjoyable one, and that’s how most people play it. :smiley: