Grim Misadventure #143: Challenging Expectations

Welcome to Grim Misadventures, the world’s number one source of Grim Dawn development updates.

Last time, we had a big reveal for you as we lifted the veil on the Forgotten Gods expansion’s upcoming new game mode, the Shattered Realm!

Offering a new way to enjoy Grim Dawn’s content while getting showered in loot, we expect many of you will be spending a good amount of time in this new unstable realm of existence.

Today we’re going to touch upon some of the improvements we were able to make to other content thanks to the development of the Shattered Realm.

This brings us to: Challenge Areas.

Sounds challenging!

Challenge Areas unify the difficulty scaling mechanics across the game and bring features you’ve become accustomed to in the crucible into the main campaign. What this means is that we now have the ability to scale specific areas of the game independently of each other with additional modifiers and randomized Mutators.

To compensate for this increase in challenge, these areas also have significantly improved drop rates, particularly for items of Rare quality.

As you’d expect, the more difficult the area, the more Mutators you will have to contend with but the better the loot will be as well!

Roguelike dungeons will be a step up in challenge, particularly on Ultimate difficulty, with two to three Mutators active. In return, the final chest of each roguelike dungeon will always attempt to drop at least two Epic quality or higher items (one guaranteed to be Legendary) on Ultimate difficulty, on top of the significantly increased Rare quality drop rates across the entire dungeon.

In addition, each of the four roguelike dungeons will have a chance to drop a piece of a unique item set that appears nowhere else in the game, as a mark of your prowess in conquering these treacherous areas on Ultimate difficulty.

All this combines to making your loot hunt more dynamic each time you play, wherever you choose to go and slay monsters! These improvements are coming your way later this year with the Forgotten Gods expansion.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 08/06/2018 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Attachment: ChallengeDangerous01.jpg
Attachment: ChallengeTreacherous01.jpg
Attachment: ChallengeRoguelike01.jpg

This should be fun :smiley: I wonder what the set will be :open_mouth:

Great, great idea. I really like it. Especially the new set to farm! :slight_smile:

Will we be able to activate this challenge mode directly during a game session, or will it be toggle-able in the main menu?

Edit: Also, will the fixed bosses of these challenge areas (Alka, the Sentinel, etc…) have higher chances to drop their respective loot when in challenge mode?

That was fast, i expected to be later today.

and here I thought it’s a troll thread!:rolleyes:

great additions;)

Funny this came up just now, I just got a notification off my phone that that there’d be a GM today :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds promising. I am certainly looking forward to this, more options for farming is always welcome with me.

So, does this mean that certain areas will now always scale with the player level, regardless of difficulty, and will always have at least mutator?

Anything that increases the drop rates is VERY welcome to me:)

was expecting something else but oh well :o

at this rate will get FG at the most end part of the year :eek:

new info rogue dungeon flavors is ok i guess:undecided:

but something weird here this is the most earliest post ever could it be zantai spending the day for doing something else like a date? lazy dev!

Sounds fun! Some mutators can be more helpful than harmful depending on the build.

I will probably die more at roguelikes, but challenge is fun.:cool:

Actually I took a long weekend off and am posting this while on vacation. YOU’RE WELCOME. :cool:

does this mean I’ll have a higher chance of getting Salazar’s Sovereign Blade?

Also, happy vacation!

Thank you Mr. Zantai. Will these changes go live before forgotten gods?

Nice, thanks and enjoy your vacation. :slight_smile:

I really enjoy the route with this xpac. Putting all those features into the main campaign really lets my eyes shine brighter.

So these Challenge Areas will pop up automatically, whenever we enter on certain areas? I suppose these modifiers are randomly generated each time we enter these areas during a game session, right? Are those Challenge Areas exclusive to Ultimate, or should we expect them on all difficulties?

man, how could you leave the game behind? so many task left undone. this will affect the expansion quality for sure:furious:

make sure when your back you go back to the naming board for the mastery if you can :cool:

enjoy your vacation and wherever you are just dont let the mosquitoes bite:eek:

The question we all have: ARE THE SHATTERED REALMS RANDOMIZED DUNGEONS?? :confused:

This needs to be optional IMO. Let the player decide whether to activate the mutators. Maybe pop up a box after activating the entrance that says:

Challenge Area!

Activate mutators and level scaling for greater rewards?

[Yes] [No]

Then the map would load up based on the player’s answer.

I mean maybe not everybody wants the mechanics of the Crucible imposed on them in the regular game.

Nice touch i will play evenmore gd in the future…

So will these be able to be toggled as you go?
So far, it reminds me of the 5 different toggles you could activate in Victor Vran.