Grim Misadventure #147: Zealous Power

It is that time of life where another Grim Misadventure is upon us.

Last time, we gazed upon the Oathkeeper’s virtuous arsenal that was emblazoned within the class art.

Today, we’re going to take a deeper look into just what makes an Oathkeeper your number one choice for divinely inspired monster-slaying.

We’ve already shown you one of the iconic abilities featured in the Oathkeeper mastery, the Aegis of Menhir:

But that’s not all to the Oathkeeper’s shield-driven arsenal. In fact, the Oathkeeper has much to offer to those not interested in shields as well! Let’s take closer look.

Please note that as the mastery is still under development, the following information may change by release. Damage values are scaled by player attributes.
You’ve sworn your oath, grabbed your shield and charged into the fray. You have become a vessel for the vengeance of the gods. As you grow in power, these mighty abilities await!

Eye of Reckoning
”When the first Oathkeepers looked upon the celestial vale and witnessed the astounding power of Empyrion’s light, they sought to replicate its brilliance and might. The culmination of their prayers and training was the Eye of Reckoning, a devastating display of martial combat that rapidly cleaves through all nearby foes in a whirlwind of fire and light for as long as the Oathkeeper channels their focus into the attack.”

That’s right, Grim Dawn is getting a whirlwind-type ability! Spin your way to victory with the Oathkeeper mastery, rapidly cleaving anything unfortunate enough to get too close.

But wait, there’s more! Add on the modifier, Soulfire, and become a spectacle of Empyrion’s light.

Righteous Fervor
”Oathkeepers charge into battle with prayers on their lips and righteousness in their hearts. When used as your default weapon attack, Righteous Fervor increases the intensity of your attacks with every strike.”

Righteous Fervor is a new auto-attack replacer coming to Grim Dawn, but why make it just one option where it could be two? If you take the Dreeg’s Reproach transmuter, the skill’s damage switches from Physical/Fire to Acid/Vitality.

Modifiers for this ability enhance your damage and defenses while stacks of Righteous Fervor are active, even adding a portion of your Retaliation damage to each auto attack.

Shattering Smash
”Such is an Oathkeeper’s prowess with a shield that the force of the blow resonates through the earth and sends an additional shockwave through your initial target.”

Smash the earth with this melee shield-based weapon pool skill and send a shockwave beyond your initial target to strike foes behind it.

Smite
”A precise strike emblazoned by the Oathkeeper’s righteous fury leaves enemies staggered and broken. With sufficient practice, this technique can even be extended to a shield.”

Smite your foes with any weapon of your choice. This weapon pool skill becomes more effective with a shield as your first barrier of defense also becomes part of your offense.

Conjure Guardian of Empyrion
”Call forth a loyal servant of Empyrion to cleave through your foes and render celestial judgment until it is recalled back into the celestial vale.”

The celestial servants of the divine come to your aid. Conjure them to cleave your foes and, with the modifier, burn them with their very presence. Offer your soul to the Witch God Dreeg with the transmuter and the guardian instead becomes a scion of acid and pain.

Divine Mandate
”Whether raising their shield in the name of Empyrion himself, or serving under the banners of a member of his celestial court, Oathkeepers that have risen in the ranks are considered to be an extension of divine will and heralds of celestial retribution.”

This exclusive skill is the peak of your devotion to the gods, and the gods reward your fealty with immense power.

And more…
The Oathkeeper mastery has more to offer, but you will have to learn it for yourself when the expansion is released in Q1 2019! Or stop by our livestreams where we surely won’t be able to help ourselves and everything will be unveiled in due time. :wink:

If you want to see today’s skills in action, we previewed them in our last Dev livestream, the recording of which has been uploaded to Youtube:

//youtu.be/Isq6payLHMk

You can also enjoy the latest preview of the Forgotten Gods soundtrack at the start/end of the stream!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 10/01/2018 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Looks rad.

EDIT:

Does whirlwind comes under movement skills by any chance? If it is classified under movement skills then can we get it through runes? I asked cause I was curious to know if the skill was unique to the class or not.

[Spin2Win intensifies]

That smite screen:cool:

interesting!!!

Hype overloading and reaching critical levels!

Guess I’ll be naming my first Paladin Will Smite.

I don’t fucking know what hypes me in this mastery. I believe the fact I can go full idiot mode and push tanky with a touch of retaliation and still deal massive damage with auto attacks. Like seriously, Crate, what the heck? Flat and percentage physical resist. Just [bunch of words that no one would even care to read].

I actually don’t know if I think this is a stupid, retarded, good or super idea. But shield support.

Everyone’s talking abut the shield throw or whirlwind and I’m wondering how many of those Spirits I can get out/sustain at once :rolleyes:

Was mentioned during the stream. There’s the Eye of Reckoning and there will also be a relic with a whirlwind skill for other masteries, that’s it.

IIRC from stream it will be as a relic skill.

BTW that whirlwind looks absolutely amazing.

Another good reason to make spirit investment reward us more mana.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Since the release date was pushed I have to ask. Is the possibility of a new cinematic still close to zero?

During the stream, I thought Guardian of Empyrion and Scion of Dreeg were identical, with simply swapped colors. But with that closer view, I see the models are clearly different. Very nice touch :wink:

Although, I am quite sad that OathKeeper gets very little Chaos support. There goes my dreams of a Chaos Sentinel. Well it will be a Poison/Vitality one then muhahahahaha

No new tipe of damage as far as I can see. The “light” there is just lightning damage added to Eye of Reckoning’s modifier, Soulfire.

yes, my mistake :slight_smile:

What happens to Celestial Presense when you pick up Scion of Dreeg transmuter? Are resistance reductions also converted from physical and fire to acid and vitality ? If not ,why not ?

Finally a spin2win in GD, HYPE! :rolleyes:

You’re breaking my heart.

Wow Nice as always …cant wait to smite :))

They are indeed. It took some new tech to make that happen.

The Scion of Dreeg transmuter is the first of its kind.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have expected that.

The new mastery looks like the best one yet, and I’m not just saying that because it’s new and shiny.

There will be a new set with chaos support which was shown in the latest stream. Here is a screenshot of it (courtesy of spikenik)