Grim Misadventure #151: Rotten to the Core

A Grim Misadventure is here, and we are really emphasizing the ‘grim’ this time around.

Last time, we unveiled the full breadth of details on just how the upcoming Shattered Realm game mode will function.

Today, we are taking a turn for the gross.

Every once in a while, the collective minds of Crate come up with something that nails the atmosphere of Grim Dawn, and then we DOUBLED IT.

But without further ado, let us take a gander at the latest additions to our monster repertoire!

A New Kind of Beetle

A while back, we showed you a preview of the Korvan Scarabs. But here at Crate we always do MOAR. As it turns out, nature is a great inspiration when you want to come up with horrifying creatures. You need not look very far.

Presenting the Scarab Incubator!

These adorable little (big) buggers pop when slain, releasing all those maggots writhing about inside. Hope you’ve got a strong stomach.

Mummies
What desert-themed expansion doesn’t have its share of desiccated corpses reanimated by horrid means?

Inspired by our work on the Incubators, we thought about how we could bring in our own spin on a classic creature. Infested with the same maggots, these tormented Korvan citizens wish to share their misery with you.

These fetid husks are a further reminder of the apocalyptic end to the Korvan people, their eternal anguish made all the more profound by the infestation that now grows within them. Put them out of their misery, or join them in the Korvan sands.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 11/26/2018 for the next Grim Misadventure.

How i adore the art of the game <3 they look like botfly maggots xD
Please please please next time show more of the new armor sets,can i haz electrified gloves too??? <3 illusion lover here too
thank you for your hard work,cant wait

Also i was wondering…those mummies how were reanimated?..if i recall Grim Dawn couldnt affect them…are these Aetherial creatures?

Titan Quest maggots making a comeback.

Nice work!

Reminds of monsters from Diablo III

Being a biologist (zoologist) the Scarab incubator pleases me immensely, especially that they did their research and based it on an actual animal. :slight_smile:
I still remember how creepy I found the maggots in Tal Rasha’s tomb (even if they just crawled around harmlessly) and later the ones in the tombs of Egypt in Titan Quest, glad we got them here too!
And yay, mummies! Glad we got them too. They are kinda mandatory for this environment. I hope they add some mummified animals too, even if they are just reskins. The hellhound would make a nice mummy hound!

Very cool! I wonder if it is a symbiotic relationship with the maggots helping the husks to stay alive.

The artwork on the Incubator itself is amazing… love it!

If I were a voting man, well, I’d vote that this be made in to a wallpaper pack… pretty please?

I like it! But what if when you kill the zombies a skeleton pops out instead of maggots? Kill the flesh and then the bones.

This maggot bug is soooo disgusting, I can’t handle it right now…

That belt…are mummies where all of Cairn’s pro wrestlers wound up?

I really like this idea for random on-death spawns!

Objective achieved then! Did you look at the real life one…?

Maggots are too big for these mummies, aren’t they?

Will they drop edible worm rings?

No I want mummy pets.

Still I would be careful if you encounter a satyr named Arthur…
:stuck_out_tongue:

not cool Zantai! I am having dinner right now and clicking that image link is the worst idea ever!

I will now rate this expansion a 0/10! :furious::furious::furious:

I always like fighting enemies that represent death and decay, so these monsters are very appealing. The death animation on that beetle is immensely satisfying.

Now for the important questions. Will there be champion maggots? Will the Incubators have a chance to spawn champion maggots upon death?

What if I mention the word ‘paladin’?

What is a paladin without putrescent filth to cleanse from the lands?